5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Addictive
I have picked up the Wolfs of the Plains at Heathrow airport three weeks ago on my way back home and by the time I arrived I decided to order all the historical novels by Conn Iggulden. Now I am almost done with the third book in the Emperors series, the Filed of Swords, so my comment here relates to the whole series.

I have read many books by great authors...
Published on 19 Nov 2007 by Mohamed Abdulmalik

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak on Spain, excellent on Gallic Wars
Published on 1 Nov 2011 by Dr. W. H. Konarzewski

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Addictive, 19 Nov 2007
Mohamed Abdulmalik (Kingdom of Bahrain) - See all my reviews

I have read many books by great authors who excel in bringing ancient events to life, but this guy is unbelievable. My advice is to start reading on a weekend or on a holiday as trying to read it during a working week can ruin your schedule.

I can not comment on the inconsistency of the historical events that many of my fellow readers have expressed their concern about as my knowledge of Roman history remains very general. However, I will say this, these books are of the highest quality as history based novels are concerned. The characters are vivid and the scenes are superbly described. The war scenes alone would get the book a five star rating.

A highly recommended read. A lot of fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak on Spain, excellent on Gallic Wars, 1 Nov 2011
Dr. W. H. Konarzewski "Dr W. H. Konarzewski" (Colchester, England) - See all my reviews
Conn Iggulden liberally rewrites history in order to increase the dramatic impact of his novels. That's fair enough, but sometimes it seems that his liberties with known history are unnecessary. As another critic has pointed out, what did he gain by ignoring Cicero's role in the thwarting of the Cataline Conspiracy? But enough said on that. My main gripe with this book is that the first two hundred pages (mainly about Caesar in Spain) were rather tedious and irrelevant and I found the arrival of Servilia with a troupe of prostitutes irritating and schoolboyish. My other problem with Iggulden is his writing style which has a certain laziness, for example he uses the word "chuckle" repeatedly and inappropriately. (Has he actually ever heard anyone chuckle their words? I don't think I have.)
However, leaving aside the negatives, I must confess I absolutely loved the account of Caesar's Gallic Wars. This is Iggulden at his best with plenty of good historical detail and, perhaps more importantly, and understanding of the psychology of the Gauls, combined with respect and sympathy for their plight when confronted by the remorseless Caesar. Vercingetorix gets a fine cameo role. (After Vercingetorix surrenders, Caesar rather unsportingly keeps him prisoner for five years before having him strangled as part of his Triumph. This is not mentioned in this book although it might be in the next one.)
Caesar's detour into Britain in 55 and 54 BC is vividly described and gives an understanding of just how difficult it is to invade an island.
To summarise, this is a very readable and entertaining book which captures the character and ambition of Caesar, but which contains too many imperfections of style and detail to be recommended unreservedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read!, 28 Mar 2005
Ed (Oxford, Oxfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Field of Swords (Emperor Series, Book 3) (Hardcover)
Conn Iggulden's third book builds further on his successful other two book in this series. Putting aside the occassional historical liberty, which in all fairness he justfies at the end of each of his books, this book is fantastic escapism. It is engrossing, well written and gives the reader a genuine desire to find out more about this period. I can't give enough complements for this book, it has thoroughly entertained me for the last few weeks and i'm looking forwards to his next book - which will involve Cleopatra no less.
Worth buying, though start at the begining of the series "The Gates of Rome" to fully appreciate the major players in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, entertaining page turner, 2 Sep 2005
Budge Burgess (Troon, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Volume three in the series devoted to the life and times of Julius Caesar. Here, we follow his political and military career from Spain to the conquest of Gaul and his abortive expedition into Britannia. Caesar had a well established political presence in Rome by the time he was given the freedom to pacify Gaul. Once engaged on this task, his star rose higher and higher, aided by Caesar's ability to manipulate news and spin a heady story for the people of Rome.
The cast of characters is well established now and Iggulden is able to leap backwards and forwards between the political chicanery and turmoil of Rome and the battlefields of Gaul, the Rhine frontier, and Britannia, sustaining both strands of the story quite effectively. Caesar was a great military leader - and it is clear that he had the personality to inspire his soldiers and drive them on to victory after victory. But Caesar was also a very ambitious man, politically. Indeed, given the bloody nature of Roman politics, ambition was probably a good survival strategy.
Iggulden manages to make the political in-fighting as exciting and well-paced as the military action - at the price of some over-simplification and a bit of judicious manipulation of history. As a piece of fiction, however, it continues to work quite well. In fact, there may be evidence of a bit more maturity and confidence creeping into his style in this volume, particularly given the more complicated nature of the plot he has to tackle this time.
"The Field of Swords" is an excellent page-turner - if you have read the first two volumes and enjoyed them, this one will not disappoint. If you haven't read the first two, I'd encourage you to start with "The Gates of Rome" to see if you like Iggulden's style and themes - you will lose too much of the back-plot and character building if you leap straight in to volume three

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 17 Sep 2013
Fantastic read,enjoyable characters and a great story worthy of rome, if you enjoy stories about rome they don't get much better than this

4.0 out of 5 stars what?, 27 Feb 2013
M. Webb - See all my reviews
I'm about halfway through this and I'm enjoying it, but at one point Julius Caesar uses a telescope. A telescope? They must have edited out the chapter where he travelled through time to get one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Out of puff, 25 Aug 2011
I really liked the other books in this series but final chapter just feels likes it's run out of steam. It lacks the pace of the other novels and the action seems to move to politics. This might be more true of the history but it doesn't make for the most exciting read imho.

Still a good book and finishes of the series but not as good as the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT SERIES, 28 Jun 2010
Another in the excellent Emperor series.
Gripping book from cover to cover - as with the others in the series I couldn't put it down.
Have just started the last book in the series.
Will be trying others by Conn Iggulden

5.0 out of 5 stars Third in an excellent series., 10 May 2010
Conn Iggulden is a genius. His writing is quite captivating and this series is fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Conn Iggulden, 24 Jan 2010
Mr. M. W. Wabe (UK) - See all my reviews
This series of books was recommended by a friend. He loaned me the first one and I then bought the whole series. What more can I say, a superb read, entertaing and well-paced.

The Field of Swords (Emperor Series, Book 3)
The Field of Swords (Emperor Series, Book 3) by Conn Iggulden (Hardcover - 3 Jan 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01