5.0 out of 5 stars An All-Time Crime Classic
This classic Christie whodunit has borne three different titles, which has been the source of some confusion. Originally published in England under the title "Ten Little Niggers" in 1939, it was retitled "And Then There Were None" for its 1940 American edition for obvious reasons. However, the English stage version of 1943 retained the "Niggers" title while the American...
Published on 1 Mar 2003 by A. Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars and then there none.
I read this book many years ago, and thought I might enjoy it again. Maybe it was because I already knew the story, but I found this time around I was bored with it. Agatha Christie is a great writer, and I have enjoyed all her books, but this was a bit slow.
Published 9 months ago by Jean Orwell

‹ Previous | 115 16 17 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the most essential Christie, 25 Nov 2008
This review is from: And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie Collection) (Mass Market Paperback)
Agatha Christie has her detractors as well as her fans; and sometimes not without reason. However this book has to count as a brilliant one-off which not only blurs the barrier between crime and detective fiction but manages to be simultaneously scrupulously fair (all the clues you need to solve the mystery are there) and desperately hard to solve. If you read only one Christie make sure it is this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jolly clever, but..., 9 Aug 2008
Ms Christie had an outstanding idea, she obviously put a lot of work into lining up the plot, and the result is entertaining and compelling. But while reading it I couldn't help wishing that she had been a better writer. The style is clunky, although admittedly with several surprising flourishes, and (as a result) the characters are cardboard cut-outs. That's a pity, because a greater empathy with the characters would have deepened the suspense and drama. And the denouement is hard to take (without giving much away - though you might want to skip to the next paragraph - I doubt that the final act of the perpetrator is physically possible).

So yes, lots of fun, but a masterpiece? Hardly.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT, nothing else to say., 8 May 2008
Carol Aldridge (Torquay Devon) - See all my reviews
I picked this up at a jumble sale. Its been years since I read an Agatha Christe book.
"They dont make them like they used to" as they say.
I am now buying her old books and reading again. Mary Higgens and Danile Steels cant hold a candle to her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Challenging Mystery, 1 Nov 2007
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was exciting and filled with suspense. The killer is very difficult to identify until it is explained to you, through the guilty party's confession. I did however, find the story mildly depressing, partly because none of the characters on the island survived, it is a cold comfort to know each is guilty of the crime they are accused of as you do feel sorry for them.

The solution, I would say, is devilishly simple, you might be surprised by this conclusion, what I mean is that it is difficult to come to before the explanation, but is simple because once you know it you can see the clues pointing to it throughout the book, the most obvious one being in the rhyme itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book i have ever read!, 23 Jan 2005
By A Customer
This is by far the best book I have ever read in my lifetime, I was not able to put it down, it is worth any amount of money. Buy this masterpiece now!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not all it's cracked up to be, 3 Feb 2012
I don't see how readers are foxed by this. I'm not particularly clever, but beyond a certain point, it was obvious that the murderer could only be one of two people, and long before the end of the book it becomes clear that one of these couldn't possible have done it. The motivation is ridiculous, as is the killer's suicide. I suppose the original plot merits 3 stars but the dialogue is so horribly Christie at her laziest that I felt compelled to remove one of those. There must be literally hundreds of sequences of lines beginning: He said, "...., She said, "...., Blore said, "...., He said sharply, "..., and so on. Unfortunately, this is also typical of many Poirot and Marple novels. It reads a bit like the script for a really bad play. Even the tension of the murders can't lift the whole from such sloppy technique.

It's staggering to think that this is the best-selling mystery tale ever (100 million sold). Now, that is a puzzle I definitely can't solve!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous, 5 Mar 2006
I would recommend this to any reader. It is probably the most intense work by christie. I could not put this book down it is definitely worth reading. Buy now!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Shows its age, 19 July 2013
Worth reading as a historical piece, but full of cliched assumptions about rather annoying characters. No- one to really sympathise with in the story

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather mechanical, 2 July 2013
R. Bland (Dunblane, Perthshire) - See all my reviews
This is classic Agatha Christie, but that means you enjoy reading until just before the end, when a slight feeling of disappointment makes itself felt.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I remember it, 20 Feb 2013
I first read this as a teenager, and I remember being totally thrilled by it. I downloaded it for my Kindle, having such fond memories of it, and whizzed through it in a couple of days. My opinion of it has definitely changed.

I still think the whodunnit aspect is very good. Despite, having read it before, I didn't remember who the killer was, and I didn't guess it. What had changed for me, was that I wanted more. The characterisation was pretty poor in that I really didn't know anything about the characters, and really didn't care about them. I found the final moments between to of the characters totally odd, out of character and unbelievable. To really be a cracking read, I think the dialogue and characterisation would need some serious work.

I am a huge Agatha Christie fan and this book does deservedly have a reputation due to the innovative plot, but it's certainly not one of her best.

‹ Previous | 115 16 17 | Next ›

And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie Collection)
And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie Collection) by Agatha Christie (Mass Market Paperback - 3 Sep 2007)
5.59