1,332 Reviews
 (1,101)

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect LOTR edition for the 60th anniversary!
It's perfect! The images became better (colours is richer) and it's more detailed comparing with the 3-book HarperCollins illustrated edition from 2002. The slipcase is cool and simple. The book came in a special cardboard box from HarperCollins. It weigt 2,410 kg and it has 1217 pages. The chalk overlay paper is thick enough. The font is clear and of a good size (neither...
Published 10 months ago by Dmitriy T

3.0 out of 5 stars The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition
We all know that the The Lord of the Rings is a work of genius, so this review covers this particular published version (The Lord of the Rings: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition). First off this book is expensive and in format it is only a little larger than the paperback version. Also apart from the three pages from the book of Mazurbul there are no illustrations. First...
Published on 23 April 2005 by J Meehan

‹ Previous | 117 18 19134 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One Ring to Rule them All, 6 April 2005
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings (Hardcover)
I have been an avid reader of Tolkien for many years, picking up and reading The Lord of the Rings at the age of eight. I have read it every year since and never grow tired of it. I have gone through several copies in that time, many going to friends as a loan, but not getting them back because they love it so much. I also lost a lot to being over read and falling to pieces. So as a treat, I decided to by the hardcover 50th Aniversary piece. This is not to be read as I am too scared to break the spine. This is more of a display piece for me. It is a beautifully bound piece with pull out maps of the areas visited by the fellowship, either together or in their disected bands. Definately a piece to keep for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuine masterpiece, 28 Nov. 1998
By A Customer
This book is virtually unsurpassed by any book of any topic, tolkien not only had a great imagination but the way he transferred that on to page was incredible, you actually feel you are in a world where things are happening in other places, even though your concentrating on one characters exploits at a certain time you know things are happening somewhere else and you almost cant wait to turn the page to find out what another characters been up to since the last time. im not a big reader, only occasional, but if i knew every book drew me into a story the way this one did, i would be buying a hell of a lot more books.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is more than worth the money., 19 April 2011
This review is from: The Lord of the Rings (Hardcover)
This is a splendid version of The Lord of The Rings, although I thought the book was hardcover on the outside, with the pictures somewhat engraved, like a version of an H.P Lovecraft edition I have. Maybe I was hoping for too much, but it is indeed a hardback, with a paper cover, which annoyed me, but the quality of the paper set things right, and is far superior to any other versions of this book I have seen. The pull-out maps are excellent, and are divided into being near the middle of the tale and the end of the tale.

That's about it, this is an excellent edition of this story, that you can keep for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, EXCELLENT EDITION, 10 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
The book is awesome, I don't need to tell you that.
But what's important now is the edition. This edition is better than those flimsy paperback ones, it's got thick paper, and it has got very good illustrations every few pages. If you can afford it, buy it NOW.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 28 Sept. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Lord of The Rings (Hardcover)
I can understand the thought of paying £80 for a book is going frighten a few, I can even understand the cynical view that the publishers are just trying to cash in on the latest wave of Tolkien enthusiasm. But, I love books, whats more I love Tolkien' works and I have always said that if ever get the chance to own an edition that does the work justice, I will not miss out. Yes, I would have liked full leather, yes the pages are very fragile, but this is not an edition to read on the train! It is a collectors item and is stunning. Yes the price is high but can be justified as this is a limited edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!!!, 12 Mar. 2004
I have never really been a fan of books but after reading 'The Lord of The Rings' i began to think differently. It was an amazing read and has inspired me to read other books.
i had watched the films before i read these and prefered the book to the film. it made me realise that the film had so much missing which could have made it even better. If you have never seen the films before i sugest reading these books before you do. and even if you have seen the films i recon you should read these to get the full fantastic story. you will definatly enjoy the books much more than the films.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 6 Feb. 2012
Listening to Rob Inglis reading "The Lord of the Rings" feels like what it may have been to listen to Professor Tolkien sitting at the fireside reading to his grandchildren. Rob Inglis has a wonderfully "oldfashioned" voice and style. I think he does the book justice. But I do doubt the wisdom of the decision to actually sing the songs. Well, he can sing, but to tell the truth it's an old man's singing voice, and it ranges from just bearable (the song of Bilbo, for example) to plainly embarrassing (all the songs sung by women and elves). But apart from that it's a great audiobook!

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget about the film(s) it's the book you want to read!, 14 Feb. 2004
J. C. Eames "Winston" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I loved the films and, although had my qualms, thought they did a fairly decent job, as lets face it, it could have been done much worse. I read the book a few years back, thankfully before the films were released, and fell in love with it. I think it was the second proper book I picked up, and read for myself, and found that reading is actually more fun than television. I think television is very evil in some respects and embodies the devil in disguise. It has done so much to dumb down society and kill of such things as reading a book. Most people who don't enjoy books don't have much of an imagination, as that what reading requires. The story teller is laying a tale in front of your eyes and you interpret what he/she is telling you. Admittedly some are better than others however Tolkien is a master at it and spent his whole life writing almost completely about the same mystical world.
I picked the book up a few times and kept reading about the infamous Mr Baggins of Bag end and it all seemed very magical and fantastical, but three attempts never got me past the first page as I kept going off to watch telly! Then I lay in bed and after the first few pages literally dove into the book and was never to be seen again. The Fellowship of the Ring for me is my favourite as it is all about the hobbits. All you hear are stories about this dangerous world outside the shire and wild rangers, men, wizards, elves, dwarves, eagles, bears, wolves, orcs, goblins and of course Sauoron (amongst others). In many respects you are actually like a hobbit going on the adventure with them yet just watching, like the wolf that stumbles across them before they leave the shire without there knowledge.
If you have not already read the book and have seen the film it's a shame as I can't help but feel you'll keep comparing the characters and events and your imagination will be polluted on how the characters look and how places look. However it is essential reading as the book holds so much more. Take for example when the Hobbits are chased of by farmer Maggott, there is a whole chapter on this and they're not actually chased off by him but go to visit him and actually feast on gorgeous mushrooms that his wife makes, hence the expression "mushrooms!" in the film. There is Entmoot which lasts for a lot longer than what is given off in the film and the characters are allowed to develop much more, in your own imagination.
I cannot stress enough that if you are able to read, read this book, novel, story, tale and most of all adventure. I feel so protective of this book that I felt pity as well as joy when the film came out as I knew it was to become even more popular instead of just some dusty old tale of the past. In fact it does as I hear people talking about the films like experts on the story and to someone who has read the book they sound completly stupid! You'll get the joke when you have read it I'm sure.
This is where I'll leave you to spend you well earned and soon to be well spent cash, and tank one Mr John Ronald Reul Tolkien for one amazing story. I do this as, as he explained after 1066 England has no real history as far as tales and myths are concerned, so he wrote one and what a story it is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment at the end, 1 Sept. 2003
Jas Aujla (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Now, I don't mean this in a way which you may think. Once you have finished the book you feel strangely lonely and sad, it's very much like coming back from a holiday of a life time. The characters of whom you have come to like dearly; not only the main chracters such as Frodo, Aragorn or Gandalf, but also the likes of Eomer, Faramir and Eowyn depart and carry on with their lives. You, as the reader can not follow them any longer as this where the story finishes. The adventure has come to an end, you wish you were there, but instead, you have to continue with your boring, unremarkable lives, and rightly so! Because this novel sucks you into the world of Middle-earth like no other, you believe you really are watching Gimli slaying orcs in their dozens and you feel as though you are charging Pelennor Field with the Riders of Rohan (which incidently, I think, are the best race because they're cavalry and extremely HARD!). I personally felt as though I was part of the adventure and following the books completion and can find no other substitute.
From the the 2nd book onwards (The Two Towers) the plot splits into 3, following Aragorn and co; Frodo and Sam; and Merry and Pippin on their seperate goals. I personally found following Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas more entertaining as their endevour to raise armies and march against the forces of evil more enjoyable and enthralling, Helm's Deep and the Battle of Pelennor Fields are as dramatic masterpieces as no other that you will find in narrative or on celluloid. Even real life events; Battle of Britain, D-Day, Waterloo are no comparisons in dramatic magnitude.
Nonetheless, the other stories are just as compelling, particularly the relationship between Sam and Frodo. Everyone needs a friend like Sam and their struggle together against all odds must captivate the hearts of all readers in my opinion.
This book captures heart and soul, your life will revolve around it, there is much more I can say but I won't, all I'll say is this; JUST READ IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Middle-Earth, 19 April 2003
Tolkien's Middle-earth has changed the face of modern fantasy, and launched thousands upon thousands of budding authors on a new career in a relatively new genre. I first read "The Hobbit" during childhood, and I thought it was good, an enjoyable story for someone looking for wizards and orcs in 'go-on-a-quest' book. Then I picked up "The Lord of the Rings" and was blown away. There are so many twists, and a great depth to each of the characters, even the evil ones. The nature of evil, and how fine the line is between good and evil is one of the main themes in this book, and I constantly found myself questioning each character as they went on a physical, and mental journey. Add to that that the many of the characters are not heroes in the usual stereotypes, especially the hobbits. Sméagol, or Gollum, is one such case where the plot twists and turns around a character. Sometimes you hate him because he seems evil, other times you feel sympathy for him. The plot is, as I said, full of twists and dramatic turns, as Middle-earth unites to destroy the One Ring. There is a depth to the plot, a background of detailed history before the events in this book. "The Hobbit" was good because it had these things, but on a more simplified scale. This book takes what was good about "The Hobbit", trebles it, and puts some added things in for good measure. "The Lord of the Rings" remains one of my favourite books of all time, and opened the door to the fantasy genre for me. I have yet to find one in the genre near the level Tolkien reached. Brilliantly told, with rich characters and intriguing plot makes "The Lord of the Rings" one of the best books ever written.

‹ Previous | 117 18 19134 | Next ›

The Return of the King - hardback
The Return of the King - hardback by J. R. R. Tolkien (Hardcover - 16 Sept. 2002)
Used & New from: £6.17