on 15 November 2003
I ordered this book awhile back with some trepidation -- there are so many books "explaining" the story of Moses in the context of Egypt; most employ fantastical and often nonsensical relationships with real characters such as Akhentaten and Ramses.
Happily, this book avoids the specious and the mythical. Instead it provides the needed historical backdrop that allows us to see the primal ingredients of the Exodus story being cooked in the real events of Near East history. And with the flair of expert detectives, the authors give us the probable cause for the myth of Moses. It is a truly daunting performance.
Let no one be dismayed by what appear to be highly technical notes and linguistic comparison charts in this book! The authors take great pains to show us their proof -- but none of this is beyond the capacity of the average reader. Quite the opposite, they illustrate several major points and are quite clear and useful.
A highly recommended mind-expander.
on 24 January 2003
A reasonably accurate translation of an excellent thesis originally written in French. I have some problems with certain intrepretations and assumptions and particularly the representation of certain Kemetic principles, but then that's my opinion. Important to both the scholar and general reader.
on 27 May 2002
I read this book in French. As a child, I spent my primary school in Morocco to learn the bible in Hebrew. I asked a lot of questions but I never got the right answers. All the bible actors were a mystery for me. Something was missing in this story. I traveled to Egypt and I looked for a sign of the Hebrew tribes in Egypt. Nothing. With the book of Messod and Roger Sabbah, I got an acceptable answer to a 40 years old question. It is really a revelation to discover that my brother who pries 3 times a day to a Pharaoh (Aton-Ai) refused to drink wine because I have invited a non-Jewish friend at home for dinner. Fantastic. I did not like all the comparison between Hebrew alphabet and hieroglyph, but Messod and Roger Sabbah asked the right question (Why there is no trace to the Hebrew stay in Egypt), and probably gave the right answer (Because they were Egyptian). Thanks to Messod and Roger Sabbah, I discovered I am a prince of Egypt.