on 23 April 2002
This book is definately worth buying. It is written in the same friendly, easy-to-read style as her first book (although you do not have to have read 'Book of Shadows' to understand and enjoy this one). She explains all about The Craft in an down-to-earth style, retells personal anecdotes, as well as giving basic and advanced instructions on how to practise the tasks she discusses.
This has quickly become a favourite on my bookshelf, and I would recommend it to everyone. Whether you are a beginner or experienced, it is definately a book worth owning yourself.
on 23 July 2013
When I first started reading this book I was really excited, although it was second hand, it was in excellent condition, and the book was much bigger and thicker than I expected. When I read the introduction, I fell in love with it and thought this was going to be the best book I had ever read about witchcraft. Everything she talks about in the introduction is fantastic, but slowly and surely little things start to crop up which disappoint me. At first she mentioned that Wicca was "the only religion in the western world that worships a goddess as well as a god" and I thought this might have been an accident, perhaps this isn't what she meant, because surely she knew that there are many other neopagan religions that worship goddesses and gods. But she goes on to repeat the statement as though she is oblivious to other goddess worshipping westeners. She then begins talking about quantum physics and subatomic particles, which really wasn't explained very well. She continued to use these sciencey sounding catch phrases throughout the book. She also refers to Wicca as "the Old Religion" and states that the Threefold Law is not "traditionally Wiccan" as though Wicca is something much more ancient than the 20th century. The more I read, the more annoyed I got.

Despite several discrepancies she does have some good advice on experiencing your spirituality, going out into Nature and feeling the wind in your hair, the rain on your skin, the warmth of the sun, and not just staying in doors with your safe little circle. She asks us to step outside and get to grips with reality. She suggests that tools and elaborate rituals aren't needed at all once you are able to train your attention. She also explains divination as not just finding out your future, but listening to your subconscious, listening to your inner divine inspiration to guide you. She also gives you lots of interesting life stories which add some context to her opinions, and are quite entertaining. Overall this book was not too bad.
on 7 November 2008
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Phyllis has a beautiful, inspiring writing style, and she includes just enough anecdotes to make the book personal to her without it being exclusive of everyone else. This book is a goldmine of information, and the exercises are designed for both beginners and intermediate practitioners alike. Always respectful and never patronising, Phyllis has written a book that anyone interested in the natural, green side of witchcraft simply must read. She places the emphasis of the Craft on the connection to the Divine, instead of the slavish adherence to principles laid out in earlier Wiccan works that you see elsewhere, and I can't help but admire her for that.