5.0 out of 5 stars The essential guide to living with PCOS
To any women with PCOS having trouble with coping with the symptoms - BUY THIS BOOK!
Published on 3 Feb 2003 by Gill Mullins (editor of In Tou...

3.0 out of 5 stars don't buy both the PCOS handbook and the diet book
The "Ultimate PCOS Handbook" and the PCOS diet book by the same authors contain very similar content so it is a real waste of money to buy both. Buy one or the other (I think I like the handbook a little better than the diet book but they are so similar that there is not much to choose between them), but don't bother buying both.
Published on 5 Aug 2007 by the mousie

5.0 out of 5 stars The essential guide to living with PCOS, 3 Feb 2003
Gill Mullins (editor of In Touch, newsletter ... (Bishops Stortford, Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PCOS Diet Book: How you can use the nutritional approach to deal with polycystic ovary syndrome (Paperback)
It is the essential guide to nailing the symptoms via the food you eat, and instead of proposing a finicky fad-based regime that's impossible to follow - unlike the many self-help books that are so complicated you give up with their regimes almost before you’ve started - it’s both inspiring and accessible. Actually, it’s totally sensible: you could feed your whole family the way this book recommends, and they would be healthier and happier for it.
Colette Harris wrote the world's first book on PCOS, and with her background as both a health journalist and a sufferer of this syndrome, it was both sympathetic and packed with advice which, at the time, was very difficult to find elsewhere. This new book continues the first's excellent tradition, and is totally unmissable if you have PCOS or live with someone who does.
It explains how what you eat every day can be a powerful self-help tool to help you not only reduce but even conquer the symptoms. There’s practical advice on altering your diet to combat different symptoms, how to prevent diabetes and heart disease, boosting fertility and using herbal remedies and nutritional supplements, plus lots of strategies for helping you to break free from the negative cycle of emotional eating and to motivate yourself for change. The appendix provides an overview of symptoms, possible causes and treatments available, plus comprehensive listings of useful websites, organisations and books. And for me, the most exciting thing about this book was the buzz I got when reading it. It’s packed with case studies that ring so many bells, your head feels like the inside of Big Ben at 10pm - and it makes you realise that, however much it may feel like it, you are not alone in this condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST BUY! i would give it 10 stars if I could, 9 Feb 2003
By A Customer
I bought this book after I was diagnosed with PCOS. I'd been trying to conceive for about 6 months and I hadn't had a period in all this time. Anyway the book is very very motivating & the advice makes so much sense. It explans why a low GI diet (including detoxing) will help PCOS. It is written in an easy to read way with lots of mini case studies, and it is so motivating to read. I followed all the advice very carefully, including the diet, supplements & having acupuncture. I lost nearly a stone within 4 weeks, and I also ovulated after 4 weeks and got a postive HPT after 6 weeks.... Can't really ask for more than that! Unlike a lot of the other PCOS which are a real depressing read, this one is uplifting, and explains how you can help yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pcos diet book, 9 Aug 2002
At last a book that can help you take control of your PCOS. The advice is excellent and well balanced if a little confusing on first reading. It also briefly summarises the main points of PCOS which is useful but you may wish to read the companion book by the same author for more information. My only complaint is that there are ample days of suggested menus which are useful if your weight is stable but only one sample menu for if you wish to lose weight - this could be misleading if you were buying this book as a weight loss tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has made me feel wonderful., 4 Mar 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book only a few weeks ago when I was diagnosed with PCOS. After two weeks following the diet and taking some of the suggested supplements I had my first period in over a year. My skin hasn't felt so smooth since I was a child and I have so much energy that I come home from work and clean and iron! The book explains the reason behind the diet and I find this really helpful. People keep asking me exactly what PCOS is and, as my doctor doesn't know much about it, I wouldn't have known what to say if it hadn't been for this book. I would definitely recommend it to anyone with PCOS. I hope it makes you feel as good as it has made me feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Diet Book, 14 Aug 2002
By A Customer
This book is so easy to read and the diet is simple to follow. It is not only a diet book but also a life style book, which means you can adapt the diet to suit your symptons. As PCO sufferers have different symptons, this is a good thing. I Feel any person could use this book as a foundation for a good healthy diet. It is a relieve to finally have a book that makes PCO sufferers life a bit easier, and the author (a PCO sufferer) explains she is finally off all medication by following this diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 20 Dec 2006
Basically, I was only diagnosed with PCOS a few months ago and I didn't really act on it, my doctor didn't even really know anything about it and he gave me a couple of sheets that he had about PCOS, I went back to the doctors and he did refer me to a specialist, she was a gynecologist but she actually specialised in PCOS. They gave me a few pointers on how I should be eating a low GI diet, gave me the option of going on the pill (which I declined) blah blah blah, but really I don't tend to actually eat very unhealthily anyway and I do a reasonable amount of excercise,but yet I am about a stone and a half over weight, for a anyone else, the diet I eat and the exercise I do, they would be a go0d weight I would imagine, as all of my friends eat worse than i do and don't do anywhere near as much exercise yet they are all like a size 8. I bought this bo0k and another bo0k by colette harris and dr adam carey which was just about PCOS because I felt that what the professionals had told me and what I had found on the internet wasn't quite enough, and both of the bo0ks really helped with my understanding of what PCOS actually is, and how I can work on it. Things are lo0king up at last!

so yes it is a must have for anyone experiencing PCOS because this bo0k will help to combat the symptoms so it will help you fight against acne, obesity, irregular periods, excess hair, hair loss all that jazz.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant for women PCOS, 5 Mar 2004
By A Customer
Three years ago I was diagnosed with PCOS and I felt at an all time low. I was tired all the time and my weight was higher than it has ever been. I wanted to go back to work after the the birth of my two wonderful kids but just lacked the confidence. Reading the PCOS Diet Book and The Woman's Guide gave me back my confidence. They helped me see that I wasn't a woman with PCOS but a woman who happened to have POCOS and there were things I cold do to control my weight, regulate my cycles, control my acne and boost my self-esteem. I'm back at work for a few hours a week now - it's a small start but something I never thought I could do and I can honestly say I've never felt better. I'd recommend this book and Colette Harris's first one The Woman's Guide to PCOS to any woman with PCOS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, buy it now!, 1 Mar 2005
A really helpful, informative and surprising book. Very practical with useful explanations of what works and why. Unlike some other PCOS diet books, it doesn't demand rapid and difficult lifestyle changes; the message seems to be "everything in moderation", which is very encouraging. Altogether a brilliant buy and an invaluable tool in the ongoing battle with PCOS.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most helpful book I've read on PCOS, 9 Aug 2002
By A Customer
This is so much more than just a diet book! Having recently been diagnosed with PCOS I was keen to learn more about the condition and what I could do to help myself. This book clearly explains PCOS and the key things that people with PCOS should incorporate into their diets. It also suggests particular foods and supplements to help with things such as weight loss and infertility. There are wonderful quotes and success stories from other people with PCOS so you really don't feeling alone when reading the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars PCOS Diet Book, 29 Jan 2004
If you have PCOS please buy this book! When my doctor informed me that i suffered from PCOS i felt completley lost. I left the hospital with a leaflet and that was all. I had no other help what so ever and no idea how to help myself.
My condition became worse and it started to control my life. Looking for a self help book was the last option; and what a great option it was!
this book is fantastic, it explains the condition in detail but doesn't swamp you with medical language. It offers a step by step guide to getting out of the hole that PCOS puts you in. The diet ideas are great and easy to put in to action.
When i first opened the book personal accounts of fellow PCOS ladies jumped out at me. I read them and thought " YES THATS ME!!!" For the first time i didn't feel alone and actually felt that i had the power to change my life.
since reading this book I have lost the weight i had gained, my skin is now clear, i no longer have the cravings which controlled my life and overall i feel fantastic and in control.
This book is out standing, don't suffer anymore you can turn PCOS around!!