5.0 out of 5 stars Great book from a fan of Bararas videos
Sometimes, especially when travelling, it's good to have a book to refer to.
I love the way that she breaks the asanas into sections - Depending on the time that you have available you can do more or less as suits yourself!
Her eating plan is also very good - no...
Published on 12 Jan 2003 by Linda Sherwin

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
It has everything you could want for your guide to yoga. I did find it quite boring reading and doing so i would prefer a dvd from now on
Published 16 months ago by R. Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book from a fan of Bararas videos, 12 Jan 2003
Linda Sherwin "lsherwin5" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10-Minute Yoga Workouts: Power Tone Your Body From Top To Toe (Paperback)
Her eating plan is also very good - no gimmicks just plain common sense really,
Best Yoga book ever , in my opinion
Linda

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, 1 Oct 2003
Never mind the cliches about Barbara Currie's being the Delia Smith of Yoga, or those who disparage basic yoga-based exercises that take up less than 45 minutes or an hour at a time...
The exercise sequences in this book are coherent and comprehensive, the instructions are clear, and the photographs excellent. The routines strike a good and rare balance between being too basic and too advanced: the way that they are shown allow you to do precisely what Barbara promises: to make appreciable and encouraging progress over a surprisingly small amount of time. You feel good immediately after every session, even if you only manage the basic morning 10 minute energiser, and the progress that you feel in your stretches and general wellbeing encourage you to do more.
I already knew quite a bit about stretching routines from martial arts practice when I bought this book, intending to use it as a programme of practice outside classes. I have been a little worried in the past about some of the exercises that I have seen instructors expecting beginners to do, and I would encourage anyone who thinks that good stretching may be beyond them to buy this book and allow Barbara to help you develop safely.
Besides the purely stretching exercises, there is much material in this book to help anyone healthily and safely develop better shape and muscle tone.
There is plenty here for everyone from the complete beginner to the very advanced: nothing to be afraid of, and inspiring standards to work towards!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book!!, 29 Mar 2004
The book is great for beginners or if you have a bit of exeperience. Its broken down in to small segments and one more advanced students. I especially love the one for relaxing before bedtime.
Each sequence is carefully explained with clear photos, advanced versions and states all the benefits of each pose (which i liked the best). The sequence is then summarised at the end of the chapter so once you know it a bit better you only have to look at one page.
Great book to have for weekly yoga sessions, whether you are after 10 or 40 mins.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic...and still one of the best, 19 April 2008
Brought this book around a year ago and can't believe I haven't written a review so here goes! I had never heard of Barbara Currie and initally took the ignorant attitude that as she was significantly older than I was, this was a book for the very unfit. However, best aspects about this book: each 'workout' focuses on a specific area and lasts for around 10 minutes each. Each pose describes what it aims to address which I found very motivating. More importantly, they work, provided you do a little each day. I initially did this solidly for around a month and it was noticeable how much more flexible I was. There is a section on power stretches that is helpful to do before bed which a. made me realise how unflexible I was, and b. have significantly helped me to increase my overall suppleness and range of movement, especially around my hip area. I'm still working up to the more advanced poses so this is definitely a great book for beginners, intermediate and advanced yoga fans. The only negative is not really around the book itself - I have seem many comments that some find yoga a little boring so I do this in front of the TV (yes, you can tell I am not the fittest person around!) or sometimes I whack on a CD and really focus into the movements. This was my original book on yoga and still my best in terms of it actually working. I do have other books, but this is till one of the best as it provides excellent and clear desciptions on how to move into and hold the pose, how long it should be held with excellent colour photographs. DEFINITELY worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting fit 10 Minutes at a time, 28 July 2008
I really like this book of Barbara's. I like the layout of it, she has several 10 minute sessions and then one 40 minute session, along with some difficult balance postures at the end.

She starts off with a 10 minute morning workout, then in the next chapter, she gives an advanced 10 minute workout. She then goes on to break down the body, giving workouts that target specific areas of the body, thighs and bottom, then abdominals, midriff and waist, then onto the arms, bust and neck.

She gives a good section on power stretching, then that 40 minute advanced class and then the balances, I am not there yet.

Again, as in her book, Having a Fabulous Shape Forever, she starts off with basic postures, and gradually works you into the more advanced ones.

She has a section on diet, another on medition and a very interesting one on Yoga and health problems.

I borrowed this book from the local library, read it very quickly and decided I wanted this in my yoga library. It is an easy read, and is very well written. I find that her style takes away the intimidation factor of yoga, as she always encourages you to go at your own pace, and with practice you will get there in the end.

I have taken her workouts with me while I went on holiday, and I was able to use them to quickly get myself back to rights and I felt good that I had done something for me!

This book basically gives you no excuses for not working out! I mean, everyone should be able to find at least 10 minutes!

Either get this one or the Fabulous Shape book, but if you feel so inclined, get both. I did and I am glad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book from a fan of Bararas videos, 12 Jan 2003
Linda Sherwin "lsherwin5" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Her eating plan is also very good - no gimmicks just plain common sense really,
Best Yoga book ever , in my opinion
Linda

5.0 out of 5 stars So good even the boys will do it., 23 Mar 2009
D. Robinson (UK) - See all my reviews
I recently brought this book to take with me on holiday with my brother. I have used various dvd's at home but wanted to exersise on the beach in the sun! I love the way the book is broken down into 10 min sections as it doesn't seem such an effort! The book is so good both my brother and my partner have now started. A few stretches a day is all it takes! The section at the back which shows which stretches are good for different ailements such as athsma is a great idea. Very glad I brought this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Yoga book for Beginners, 27 Aug 2009
A. Wheaton (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I decided to try and take up Yoga a few years back, I saw this book and thought I'd give it a go as I like the fact that it's all 10 minute sequences, and that's something I thought I could easily handle as a beginner.
I have found this book to be invaluable as an introduction to Yoga. All the poses are explained and the pictures are incrediably helpful, I also like that it tells you the benefits of each pose. I was so impressed with this book that I also got a copy for my Mum, who also loves this book.
Since I took up Yoga a few years ago I have picked up a couple other yoga books, but I still find this one to be the best and the one I use most often as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit yoga into your life, however busy, 24 Aug 2009
thedafftone (Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have owned this book for a few years and quite simply, I love it.

The short routines are easy to learn, with clear explanations of how to do them and photos throughout to guide you. There are also lots of little notes on how the moves will benefit you, how to make them stronger as you advance, and reminders not to worry if at first you are far from the photos.

The book has routines suitable for beginners and advanced and anyone can fit these into their life. Even if it is only 10 minutes a day you really will notice a difference from following this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 1 Sep 2010
I would definitely recommend this book.

It is broken down into manageable 10 minute sections, with longer more advanced sections. So depending on your time, energy and target areas you can choose your own sections.

It is suitable for beginners through to those advancers. However, I do think you need some knowledge of Yoga to understand the moves and to get them right. If you are a beginner I would recommend you have DVD to accompany the book to help you get the moves right.

This book is also good for pregnant women as Barbara Currie highlights the individual postures that should NOT be done whilst pregnant and those that are particular good. (It also list those postures that should not be done by people with high blood pressure, neck, back problems.)

10-Minute Yoga Workouts: Power Tone Your Body From Top To Toe
10-Minute Yoga Workouts: Power Tone Your Body From Top To Toe by Barbara Currie (Paperback - 2 Dec 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01