on 30 July 2009
This book has helped me lots with my depression and I can safely say that because of the book I have come off antidepressants. SO many thanks to the author for putting the information about vitamins and amino acids (in particular) out there. Having moved on from the book and reading other natural ways to deal with depression and while still taking my aminos of course, I now look back and wonder why the omega 3 section in the book is not further clarified regarding the balance of EPA and DHA. Taking omega 3 on its own did not improve me or my depression (which I have had for 20 years) but pure EPA made a big difference. There is good books and research written on the use of EPA to treat depression but I won't name them here while you are reviewing this book. SO buy this book but don't expect it to be the end of your quest for a cure - it sure can get you closer though.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 September 2013
This has been a game changer for me - I have suffered with low level depression for most of my life starting from teens well into my adulthood, alongside this I have experienced bouts of PMS and the effects have been debilitating in all aspects of my life, relationships, health and career.

This has boosted the effectiveness of the other complimentary therapies that I use in order to manage my emotions. So far I have been able to give up coffee, I have slept better than I have in years and I feel a sense of genuine enthusiasm.
This isn't a one size fits all cure either, and the great thing has been the change in diet alongside the amino acids and 5htp. I've felt a real shift since I've begun trialling the book and recommendations and am thankful as my attempts to resolve things previously with conventional help failed and left me feeling worse than ever.

I finally feel like I have a sense of balance and control in my life once more and I can only thank this book for helping me -it's been amazing. It doesn't mask moods, or create false euphoria it has just made life manageable and it's not just one sad feeling all the time. I feel really good and now experience genuine moods instead of false ones.
on 18 September 2014
WOW. I'm beyond blown away by this book. Every single person who suffers from a mood disorder MUST get this book. It's ABSOLUTELY life changing. Simple as That. I thought I knew a lot about depression and how to treat it but this book is just brilliant. I am telling as many people as I know about this book because it is a book that almost guarantees you can improve the way you think and feel. Everything in Julia's book makes sense and is backed up by science. Not to mention the fact that she has treated thousands of difficult cases her self. Such an empowering amazing book. go buy it!! you and your loved ones will thank you for it!!! I wished I had of known about this book 15 years ago. Thank you Julia for coming to the rescue of so many people suffering unnecessarily due to deficiencies in their brains and bodies.
on 23 January 2004
This is a fantastic book if you are looking to boost your mood naturally without resorting to medication. It also advocates a higher protein, lower refined sugar diet, and gives useful tips on nutritional supplements which can reduce your carb cravings, eg, an amino acid called L-Glutamine. As a result of reading this fascinating well written book, my mood is 100% better and i have lost 2 stone ( around 13 kilos). It is chaptered so you can dip in and out rather than read the whole thing at once. I definately reccomend it.
on 20 January 2013
This book is AMAZING. As a psychotherapist working amongst statutory settings, I must say I can really see the limitation of 'standard treatments' or CBT, and conversely the power of nutritional therapies. Julia Ross's dietary guidelines are in line with the currently popular Paleo/ Low Carb Diet, which I personally see as legitimate. For those who feel like they are in a deep dark tunnel have exhausted every way out, I strongly recommend this book.
on 1 June 2014
I downloaded the kindle version and can honestly say it is one of the best books I have read on nutritional solutions for mood problems. The chapter on the Adrenal glands convinced me to finally send off my salivary cortisol test kit and it turns out that I have low DHEA. I couldn't recommend the book highly enough and have read it 3 times in the past few weeks!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have suffered a few bouts of mild depression (mild as in I didnt try and take my own life and could still just about work and function albeit without any enjoyment of life) I have taken Prozac in the past with some success, but wanted to try something more natural when my latest bout of the black dog arrived.

This book contains some good ideas and some that are a little tougher to work with. I would recommend it as input to your fight against depression, but use your common sense and read some other books too. I recommend Dr Steve Illardi's book "The Depression Cure" as a more scientific take on this area which relies less on supplements and more on lifestyle and attitude change, especially if you are not comfortable with researching into the science (or lack of it) behind Julia Ross's recommendations.

For more detail on the book, read on.

The author suggests a LOT of supplements (which I have mostly tried, and none have harmed me after 6 weeks, although I only take half as much B complex and C as the author recommends, as I feel I will most likely just be peeing out excess vitamins my body doesnt need).
I would single out 5 HTP as one of the authors suggestions which has worked for me now and in the past and which I am very surprised isnt more widely used as a first line approach to depression (maybe its non-patentable status has something to do with this....). It is apparently used in Europe and the US a lot more.

Be prepared to buy a lot of supplements if you follow this book to the letter, especially if you have more than none of the "false moods" the author outlines in Chapter 2. Holland and Barrett must be hoping this book does very well...

She also suggests a strict diet and lots of exercise. Good overall idea but I disagree with some of the detail.

For instance, giving up wheat will be a tough ask for some people. Unless someone is provably gluten intolerant/coeliac I think this is unnecessary and unlikely to help, and also just adds extra stress at a hard time of someones life. Wholewheat doesnt bloat me in normal quantities and I would struggle to find alternatives so have ignored this part. I dont eat much white bread or white pasta though.

Also, completely eliminating vegetable oil from your diet is almost impossible unless you have a lot of free time to cook food from scratch and are happy to never eat out again (no on both counts).

Current reseach overwhelmingly disagrees with the authors assertion that saturated fat is a good thing and I suggest you read extensively around this subject before going bananas on the butter and cheese for your own sake (but moderation is different..after all we need to have fun sometimes as well as be healthy).

However, her recommendations on sugar and caffeine make sense and have helped me. Two-thirds of the diet advice is good, scientific stuff, but some seems more questionable to me, so I have ignored it.

The author talks a lot about pylouria, which mainstream medicine doesnt really recognise as an illness and belongs in the questionable area of "orthomolecular medicine".

She also suggests readers get a battery of medical tests which most NHS doctors would not be willing to spend their meagre budgets on I suspect. Unless you have money to burn consulting private nutritionists and doctors I suggest you treat these parts of the book as opinion rather than fact.

Readers in the UK will also have a tough time obtaining GABA as the EU classified it as a prescription-only medicine several years ago, although I did find it eventually online. However I didnt bother ordering it as I was feeling better by then and was frankly paying the supplements industry enough of my pay packet as it was.

The bare bones of the recommendations in this book are sound and have helped me.

I consider myself medically unqualified but scientifically literate so am comfortable researching this area as a layman and making my own judgements, but others may not be.

This is a problem as within this book there lies a scattering of junk science amid the good ideas. With that in mind, I recommend you read it if you like by all means but apply your common sense and consult other books and opinions as well.

Good luck in your fight.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am very surprised at the negative reviews below. Please don't let them put you off. This is a truly outstanding book and is intended to help people suffering from real, deep and intractable emotional and mental problems.

Julia Ross is a true pro, working at the front line of mental health care for several decades. This is a book that brings together her hard won knowledge with that of many, many other experts in the field. There is a also a decent amount of scientific research at its core.

Compared with the extrememly poor care offered by the average clinical psychologist or psychiatrist (they essetially offer only drugs or cognitive behaviour therapy) this book heralds the beginning of a revolution in mental health care: at last some people are beginning to recognise that there is a REASON why you (or a friend or relative) is suffering such serious problems with mood, emotions and behaviour. At last there begin to be real solutions which are wholistic and effective.

Julia covers all the main issues - anxiety, depression, OCD, addictions, mood swings and the generally feeling awful and unstable that so many have. She explains why it is happening and which food and supplements to correct it. There are easy to use questionnaires which guide you in understanding which TYPE of depression or anxiety you suffer from and thereby tailor the solution.

Be warned, her solutions are a VERY long way from the general advice just to eat healthily. This is hard core scientific solutions. And a lot of back up with very specific recommendations for amino acids (to make all those neurotransmitters that regulate mood - dopamine, serotonin & GABA) and vitamins and minerals which are used in specific high doses as medicines.

The solution requires work and commitment. But ultimately it is highly workable and simple in structure. And it really changes lives.

Julia Ross opens a door and throws open the windows on a room in which so many feel trapped. No more decades of incomprehensible misery. I use this book in my practice and buy copies in bulk to give to my patients. It is an outstanding introduction - written in an engaging style but with a good strong foundation in science. A serious book that nevertheless invites everyone in.

As a response to the negative reviews below, Ms Ross does indeed take a dim view of vegetarianism - but a) this is a small point in a large and rich book and b) she has this view born of years of experience. A high protein diet is necessary for people suffering emotional health problems because protein is the source of the neurotransmitters which will ultimately cure the depression, anxiety etc. Some people are genetically predisposed to need more than average. Protein is also important for blood sugar stabilisation - unstable blood sugar being near universal with any eating issues, carbohydrate cravings, sugar addictions, much anxiety and mood swings. I find I need to give most of my vegetarian patients protein supplement powders (whey, pea, rice protein etc) before I can build up their programme of recovery further.

In summary a very good book to start your journey. Of equal excellence (in some ways superior) and more scientific in its approach (the emphasis more on neutraceuticals supplements than diet) is Depression Free Naturally by Joan Larson. Don't be fooled by the title - is covers all major issues including very serious ones like schizophrenia.

Additionally, anyone with serious emotional and mental issues should buy Gut and Psychology Syndrome - that gut toxicity is highly involved in much illness is now beyond debate and at least 45% of my patients need help with their gut before they can properly recover. This book will explain how and why.

Good luck and whatever happens don't give up. There are answers to your struggles. The Mood Cure and Depression Free Naturally will be a good start. Add in the book on Gut and Psychology, Adrenal Fatigue, a good book on the thyroid and maybe something on mercury toxicity. A great deal of mental suffering can be alleviated with these interventions. Have faith - a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. You will be taking the first when you buy this book.
on 7 June 2015
An Excellent read! A must buy for anyone looking for a 'Mood Cure'. For me, personally. This book should be read before any mind management book, For example; "The Chimp Paradox" (which is also a Brilliant book in itself - HIGHLY Recommended) The reason being, I feel that we first need to eat a well balanced diet, rich in protein, healthy fats and plenty of fruit and veg, and take the correct supplements for your personal needs (This book will help you find them easily) in order to nourish the body and mind, while simultaneously correcting any deficiencies or imbalances you may have.
Once these deficiencies and imbalances have been corrected you will feel much healthier, happier, positive and get a much better sense of self. Ive found the overall improvement in my mood has allowed me to do the small jobs ive kept putting off for aaages, to actually making positive steps to achieving some goals that ive wanted to accomplish for some time!

I'd recommend this book to anyone and everyone, especially those who are desperately seeking a mood cure. This Book alone may be all you need to improve your quality of life. If your sitting there reading all the good reviews and still dont know if you should buy, just go for it! If you find it no good you can always sell it and get your money back .
In my opinion, an EXCELLENT book. Worth every single penny.

after almost 6 years of suffering with serious mental 'Imbalances' i think ive finally found what ive been looking for.

A HUGE THANK YOU to Julia Ross for taking the time to put this out there ! x
on 9 February 2012
This book was a revelation to me. So many things were explained which I hadn't understood before. Julia Ross has poured a huge amount into it, and I found it absolutely riveting when I first read it. Now, I've internalised so much of it that I feel I've known it for years and am always happy to bore friends, family and clients by parroting it back to them. It feels like Ms. Ross has handed over the keys to the kingdom; she must have helped so many people over the years.

Okay, I'd better return to the book itself. It's a manual for understanding the physical causes behind various moods, or 'false moods' as she calls them, together with extremely practical methods for dealing with them. (What is shocking to me is how many people must be low on the various amino-acids she mentions. Pretty much everyone who smokes, drinks a lot of alcohol, gorges on food, takes drugs, drinks a lot of tea or coffee falls into that category, which leaves just a few saints among us). The book asks, why do you do it? Is it to relax you, to stimulate you, to pacify you? The answer to questions like those gives you a clue to the amino-acids you may be lacking, which are well covered and explained. The book is astonishing value for money, as it's more like a tool kit.