on 17 March 2013
Maybe it's me but I find this trying to be more of a dissertaion submission about Social behaviour at the turn of the previous century .I think it is maybe that I am not high brow enough for the book .What I really wanted was a 'story ' not a book where I have to really take notice of every point so that I can mentally refer back to it .The author is clearly a very learned woman who has great skill at collating and sorting information but it feels like she is frightened of being accused of not writing a 'learned ' piece of work and is reluctant to fall into what she might see as ' common gossip ' .It seems that every event she describes has to be analysed and scrutinised before she moves onto the next event .Quite frankly , and this is my failing and not hers , I pick up my Kindle reluctantly - like I feel I must read it every night , rather than WANT to read it .I normally , in a paper book , flick to the photographs when I lose the thread of the text , but haven't mastered the 'flicking ' art on my Kindle yet . To be fair ,I have now got a good feel for Alva Vanderbilt's persona and am persevering to get to Consuelo.It has been interesting in the whole to be fair . Maybe I should just accept my own failings and stick to less ambitious works .
on 25 June 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, not only for the insight into the lives of the Vanderbilts but also for the involement they had with the "Womens Rights" movements back in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I was not aware of the American contribution to this cause.
I loved the detail of the various places they lived in, in America, France and England and what became of them and the insight into the changing era of the very rich in the 20th century. A definate "Must read" for anyone interested in social history.
on 20 December 2015
Found this book by chance and on the whole it is very informative of a lifestyle few would have any insight. A little long winded at times and quite a lot of assumptions but nevertheless a good read. It is however a great pity there are no photographs which would have brought to life the major players in the story
on 28 December 2015
Although this book arrived on time, it was obviously, previously owned by a 'very' heavy smoker and I could smell it as soon as I opened the packaged. It's that bad I can't actually read the book - very disappointed.
on 20 March 2013
I found this book very interesting about the lives of how those people lived and money they spent on there homes and who they mixed with found it hard to put the book down.
on 17 July 2010
What livs they led and the dynastic ambitions of the mother really have to be read to be believed!Fascinating.
on 31 March 2015
Great story - visited Newport last year and so was interested in the lives of the Vanderbilts Well written, detailed and very readable.
on 10 August 2013
Enjoyed this book very much. American heiresses an interesting topic, easy to read without a lot of effort, not too heavy.
on 22 February 2014
Recently went to a lecture on these ladies and I wanted to know more. This book didn't disappoint so give it a try.
on 5 November 2014
Interesting study if you have an interest in this oeriod