4.0 out of 5 stars Good, mixed bunch

2.0 out of 5 stars The girls were better than the boys
Published on 16 May 2002 by N. Stubbs

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, mixed bunch, 25 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Girls' Night Out/Boys' Night In (Paperback)
As others have said, many of the stories do seem a bit self-obsessed (we're not all like that) but it's a fun read, esp Chris Manby and Anna Davis. The boy's - despite their keenness on canines and masturbation, do go a bit further and have written some great stories. I especailly liked Michael Marshall Smith's Last glance back (weird) and Marc Blake's "BigHead" (a classic) and look forward to reading their other novels. Buy it - and not just for the good cause.

2.0 out of 5 stars The girls were better than the boys, 16 May 2002
This review is from: Girls' Night Out/Boys' Night In (Paperback)
I'm not being sexist but the short stories by the girls were much better than the boys. They had more diversity & humour. Overall though, the book was a disappointment compared to its predecessor 'girls night in.' There were some good one though - Isla Dewar's 'the alma club' was very well written & a touching story as was Fiona Walkers 'red letter day' But to be honest they are the only two that really sood out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag of fruit and nuts..., 12 July 2001
This review is from: Girls' Night Out/Boys' Night In (Paperback)
A laudable cause, but a mixed reading experience. Broadly speaking, this collection is divided into two groups. There are those who are still writing the same old/same old London-based, office relationship, email romance, needs a boyfriend, lives with his mates and eats pizza and masturbates a lot stuff (Fiona Walker, Mike Gayle, Beaumont etc) - which is all right, but kind of dull.
And then there are the writers who are doing somethng a bit different (kind of what youd want in a short story collection...) - like Mark Powell, Lloyd and Rees, Anna Davies, Colin Bateman and Emily Barr.
All in all a good beach read - so 4 stars for you...

3.0 out of 5 stars but it's really more like two and a half, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Girls' Night Out/Boys' Night In (Paperback)
This review is for the half of the book titled "Girls' Night Out", which was published on its own and released as a freebie with various magazines.

I'm wavering between two and three stars for this collection, and anyone who reads my reviews knows that I usually grade up when in doubt. So, we're calling it three, but it's really more like two and a half.

As the book wasn't listed on Goodreads when I was reading it, I don't have individual story notes to refer to while reviewing. Several of the stories have blended into each other in my mind, though I only read the book five days ago. What I DO remember is that the majority of the stories didn't evoke any real emotion in me, and a few of them left me feeling uneasy and cold.

There are a couple gems here. Isla Dewar's The Alma Club is a gorgeously funny, touching vignette about how the most unconventional relationships can have a lasting effect on your life. This one story is probably the reason I've held onto the book for so long. Fiona Walker's Red Letter Day (sad but hopeful and heartfelt), and Stephanie Theobald's The Masturbation Map (a very amusing growing-up tale) were also favourites of mine, though not quite on par with the Dewar story. And I quite enjoyed Maggie Alderson's There Is A God and Sophie Kinsella's Changing People, though I don't imagine they'll stay in my mind for long.

Overall, though, I was a little disappointed - and surprised! - by this collection. With so many big names in here, I would have expected to enjoy it more. I can't tell if the quality of the writing is low or if it's just not to my taste. I'm not a fan of chick-lit (with a few exceptions) but I do like romance, so I was hoping this one would be a hit for me. Sadly, this didn't deliver, so I shall move onto the next.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boys' night in/ Girls' night out, 2 May 2013
Clare O'Beara - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Girls' Night Out/Boys' Night In (Paperback)
I quite liked some of the boys' stories in this charity compilation. The settings for most were London which was not very inspiring but some did take us further and the tale of three guys trying to assemble decking 25 feet in the air on a sloping garden was hilarious. And the tale of the pup which grew and became fierce while his owner happily lived in the garden shed to get away from his wife, was a good read.

Maybe it was the title theme, but neither boys' nor girls' tales contained a single couple which worked well together getting through life. People cheat, break up, don't understand or like their partner after long enough - depressing. There was a nice tale of a little boy who wanted his mother to get together with his nice sports teacher.

The girls' tales contained a few which had incorrect grammar or punctuation, and one which I thought ended stupidly - a girl finds a giant clam trapped in a rock crevice, it's too big now to get out. So she spends a day or more trying to free it with a little knife. Never occurs to her to ask the bunch of brawny Aussie divers staying in the same hotel to help. Come on!

By and large the girls don't inspire us to success - a hairdresser helping his clients to improve their style is just a paid version of a Maeve Binchy story about a woman who goes around helping women in business to make a mark and succeed. And I couldn't get a wedding straight in my head; who invites old school classmates to their wedding when they haven't seen each other in many years? I kept thinking it was a school reunion, wondering did the author start to write about a reunion.

It's an entertaining enough compilation and will see you through a train journey. I thought the quality was better than in many charity compilations - where one suspects that the authors just dumped anything they couldn't sell. The charity was War Child which creates safe playgrounds for numerous children at a time in war-torn regions and helps struggling families.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great beach read, 31 July 2001
This review is from: Girls' Night Out/Boys' Night In (Paperback)
Having read the last collection of stories i was pleased to see this new collection out just in time for my hols... and i was not disappointed. however i enjoyed the womens stories more, my faves being Colette Caddles which was very satisfying, Emily Barr's which was gripping and unexpected with an excellent ending and isla dewars which was very readable. all in all a good collection of stories which gives you a taster of the authors work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis, 18 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Girls' Night Out/Boys' Night In (Paperback)
With the boys keen to get it on the act this time around, we've put together a book with two front covers containing stories that will appeal to male and female alike! At one end, Girls' Night Out introduces original stories from female authors at the cutting-edge of bestselling women's fiction, including Josie Lloyd, Kathy Lette, India Knight, Arabella Weir and Sophie Kinsella. Flip the book over and enjoy Boys' Night In - a collection of stories by some of the hottest male authors around, such as Mike Gayle, Emlyn Rees, Matt Beaumont and Patrick Gale. Double the entertainment factor and a fascinating look at a variety of issues and themes, both witty and serious, from both a male and female perspective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and definitely one for the ladies!, 1 Nov. 2003
L. Downer (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Girls' Night Out/Boys' Night In (Paperback)
I was very fortunate to get this book free with a magazine i bought from my local supermarket.
I thought the stories were very witty and definitely one for the ladies. Although there were some sad stories, check out Red Letter Day and The Alma Club, it was such a good read. It was full of great and realistic short stories. I took this book with me to work everyday, which made my boring and tedious journey even quicker. The best story was definitely "Revenge", watch out boys its always the quiet ones. And another great story was "The Fortune Teller", all i can say is you never know what's round the corner.
To sum it up in one sentence is: YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Girls' Night Out/Boys' Night In (Paperback)
This book is an excellent read. An excellent idea to have a number of authors in one book to get the idea of their writing styles and which ones you enjoy the most. Very pleased with purchase

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 26 Oct. 2003
L. Downer (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Girls' Night Out/Boys' Night In (Paperback)
This book had a nice mixed bunch of short stories.
The best one was "What goes around..."
MEN BEWARE!!!

Girls' Night Out/Boys' Night In
Girls' Night Out/Boys' Night In by Jessica Adams (Paperback - 2 July 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01