4.0 out of 5 stars All I Am Saying Is Give This A Chance!
Published on 10 April 2007 by C. Knowles

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Christie
Not one of Christie's best books, but nor is it one of my least favourite.
It features Poirot and Ariadne Oliver. I think it would have been better as just a Poirot on his own, or perhaps with Hastings helping him. Oliver never seems real to me - perhaps created as a humourous character but I fail to see the charm or fun in her at all.
The plot is a fairly good...
Published on 3 Oct 2001 by E. J. Fletcher

4.0 out of 5 stars All I Am Saying Is Give This A Chance!, 10 April 2007
C. Knowles (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Third Girl (Poirot) (Paperback)
Poor old 'Third Girl'! One of those tag-end Christies that nobody particularly likes, nobody can remember, never makes it onto anybody's 'favourites' list but not bad enough to prop up the table either, so forgettable that nobody can even be bothered to review it on Amazon! Well let me rescue this little book from the oblivion of the unloved and unwanted. I actually think it's pretty good! Certainly for this late stage of Christie's career when she was usually more miss than hit, and it's way better than the 3 titles which directly precede it chronologically. A young woman visits Poirot to voice her fear that she "might" have committed a murder....and we're off into a, for the most part, cleverly plotted and intriguing case, even if there are a few details which don't bear too close an inspection. Interesting also is how plain Christie makes her views on 60s youth. This hardly bears comparison with many of the great titles of the 30s and 40s, but taken on its own merits it provides a very decent read. As long as you don't come to this expecting another 'Death On The Nile', I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable, 9 Aug 2008
This review is from: Third Girl (Poirot) (Paperback)
I'm not convinced that I much approve of a Hercule Poirot prancing round swinging London in the 60s. But once I'd got over that, I enjoyed this lots. Typically twisty turny plot with a breathtakingly unlikely ending. Good fun.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Christie, 3 Oct 2001
E. J. Fletcher "Erinbron" (London UK) - See all my reviews
Not one of Christie's best books, but nor is it one of my least favourite.
The plot is a fairly good one, and it reminds me in its structure of another, better, Christie book, but to say which would give you a clue to the solution! There are plenty of clues and red herrings of course, but I reckon some people will be able to work this one out.
I think I found it a bit messy, what with the story and action unfolding in various different places at pretty much the same time. Her village settings often work better because the single location focuses the mind on what is happening.
An easy read, interesting while it lasts, but not one of her more memorable stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Family Murder???, 5 Jan 2013
Enjoyable book, but would have been better if Hastings had assisted Poirot instead of Ariadne Oliver hence the four stars.

This is about a young girl who thinks she's committed murder, but without actually remembering having done so. Set in the sixties this novel mentions the typical beatniks etc that existed in those times and also mentions how times have changed re girls part in society compared to a generation or two before.

Easy read and a story which is geared round a family and its secrets. I'll say no more other than read it and find out for yourself.

Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Agatha Christie, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Third Girl (Poirot) (Paperback)
Great Agatha Christie, one of the lesser known Poirot novels, but still well worth a read, i thoroughly enjoyed it!

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, but bit overlong, 24 Jun 2014
You really get bang for your buck with this book- it's much longer than her usual Poirot cases.

Nice read, as usual phenomenal writing! I love Poirot! And I really didn't see the solution coming!

My main gripes with this are that there was alot of repetition of text, and it was a wee bit long in my opinion. Also, I love 20s/30s crimes and this was set in 1965 and it was really suprising to be encountering all the characters having LSD trips, popping pills and talking about casual sex etc. But that's probably just my wierdness!

5.0 out of 5 stars Third Girl by Agatha Christie, 2 Mar 2014
I haven't read this before and am very taken by it. It reminds me of John Buchan's Thirty-Nine Steps and is very good. So far, I am half way through it and will be interested to see how it ends. I would certainly recommend anybody to try this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, doesn't involve too much thinking, 26 Nov 2013
You know what you are getting with Agatha Christie, and you get it here! Great story, doesn't involve too much thinking. Enjoyed it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to Agatha's usual high standards, 21 Dec 2000
By A Customer
I think that this book (Third Girl) was good and very entertaining but it wasn't up to Agatha Christie's usual high standards. Three girls shared a flat in London, the first 2 had jobs and one day the third went to see Poirot saying that she was a murderer and then soon after she disappeared...This book is still worth reading and it keeps you guessing until the very last minute who has committed the crime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Synopsis, 3 Oct 2007
This review is from: Third Girl (Paperback)
When a young girl vaguely confesses to a possible murder she's not sure she committed, the Belgian detective is thrown for a loop. Then this girl with a secret disappears and no one's talking. Norma Restarick was the 'third girl', who walked in on Poirot's breakfast and announced that she 'may have committed a murder'. Then she walked out and left the detective to battle his own way to the truth...

Third Girl (Poirot)
Third Girl (Poirot) by Agatha Christie (Paperback - 18 Aug 2008)
5.99