Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 September 2015
I withdrew this book firstly from our local library as it has a photo of Lord Carey and my father in their naval cadet uniforms. I was so enthralled by the rest of the book that I thought that the only way to re-read it at my leisure was to own my own copy.
on 28 June 2004
This is a fantastic book because it is so real. It takes really ugly subjects and offsets them with an understated humor that makes them not only palatable but entertaining. However never does the author disrespect himself or what he has faced in life. There are many books that are entertaining. There are many books that are educational. Very few books though accomplish all those things at once. This is a book that sits in the rare company of A Child Called It, Nightmares Echo, White Oleander, and My Fractured Life.
on 17 April 2006
This book is George Carey's retirement fund. Most of it is rather dull - as you might predict - and the potentially salacious bits - material about the Royal Family - represent information that, in his role as priest to that family, probably shouldn't have been written, but have been (1) to show that he was indeed close to them (despite his insecurities over his humble background); and (2) to sell his book. George comes over as rather surprised that he made it to the top job in the CofE, such that he has to justify it by telling us how good he was at it. This book has done his reputation no favours; its title, like its subject, is inflated.