5.0 out of 5 stars A book filled with charm, intelligence, and CRIME.
A crime has just been committed, and it is up to Agatha Christie's renowned detective, Mr. Poirot, to solve this one. This time the victim is a passenger on the Orient Express, a famouse early twentieth century passenger train. By coincidence, Mr. Poirot ia also traveling on the Orient Express, and quickly takes on the task of finding the killer. His task, however, is not...
Published on 17 Feb 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Timeless and classy
No wonder Christie was, and has remained, so incredibly popular. This is the first of her books I have read, and it delivered exactly what I expected. A murder seemingly impossible to solve which is then untangled using crystal clear logic. It is classy and clever without being so convoluted and complicated to be outside the grasp of the reader.

The other thing...
Published on 2 Jan 2011 by Book 1981

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Christies best books, 25 July 2007
This review is from: Murder on the Orient Express (Poirot) (Paperback)
I thought this book was brilliant and it is one of Christies best books. The only other book as good as this one is And Then There Were None. The plot is fascinating and I didn't have a clue who did it. I actually couldn't put this book down and I finished it in less than two days. This is the first Poirot book I have read ( i've read a lot more since ). I read one miss marple before this book and I definitely prefer Poirot.

Although I am usually fairly good at guessing who did it, this book baffled me and I had no idea what the conclusion would be until Poirots revelation at the end and when I read it I realised just how ingenious this book is. The amazing thing about this book is all the clues are actually there and its still almost impossible to figure out the conclusion.

There are some great and memorable people in this book, this gives the book a good atmosphere. Everybody seems to have at least one alibi. But how reliable are the alibis? Poirot must figure out who did it out of such clues as a pipe cleaner, a handkerchief with initials, sightings of a small man with a womanish voice and sighting of a woman with a scarlet kimono.

The murder victim in this story is a man who was the main kidnapper in the Armstrong kidnapping and murder case, but what relevance has that case got to do with this one because nobody on the train seems to have any connection to the Armstrong kidnapping case?

I reccomend this book to first time Christie fans or to old fans of hers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Christie, 28 April 2001
This legendary classic shows Christie at the top of her powers - ranking with THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD, DEATH ON THE NILE, MURDER IS EASY, and TOWARDS ZERO as the best of her books. The ingredients - the glamorous setting of the Orient Express (the magic inspired by the words "The Orient Express had started on its three-days' journey across Europe"), the splendid gallery of gargoyles, the monstrous nature of the victim, Poirot's detection (his search of the room; the serial interviewing; and the serial unmasking of the connections to the Armstrong kidnapping case), and the final revelation of a solution utterly surprising yet without straining belief too much - could not be improved upon. Masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mystery filled of suspense!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 7 Dec 1997
By A Customer
This is the first Agatha Christie book that I have ever read and believe me, it really made me wanna read much more. The beginning started off a little slow, but as soon as I got to the end of the first chapter, I was hooked. The basic plot is that a murder has occurred on a train filled with strangers. It feels terrible to know that you will be stuck on a train for at least 2 days(this is because of a snow storm) on the same train as a murderer. The victim is an American kidnapper, so detective Hercule Poirot tries his best to question all the passengers, trying to find someone who is involved with the kidnapping case. The end is very unexpected, but I wasn't too happy with it. Overall, I suggest that anyone who loves mysteries and suspense read it soon!!!!!!!-Reviewed by Preethi

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 9 Nov 1997
By A Customer
I found this book oddly attractive. Once I had finished the first chapter I was hooked. i can't quite tell why though. I'm an actor and it reminded me of a murder mystery I stared in which a American heiress was killed for a large sum of money. And Canaidian dective extrodinaire Alexander Cole had to solve the murder before the party ended just like Hercule had to solve a murder before the train escaped the snow drift. Of all the dectives I've read and watched,Hercule Poirot is my Favourite. What I resentis that M. Bouc Picked the first soloution instead of the second. Hope I didn't ruin the ending Yours Truly Nicholas J. Cole

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect crime novel, 23 Sep 2014
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Reading a book when you know what happens, particularly when that book is from the mystery genre, may seem a little bizarre but what I’m realising is that I now notice nuances that perhaps evaded me before I immersed myself in crime fiction and so there was plenty to keep me amused on this fascinating journey, mine being more successful than the Orient Express’s as I didn’t encounter any snow-drifts.

This book was originally published as a novel in 1934 following Christie’s trip on the train where she noted down all the details required to perfectly recreate the scene, yes the placing of the lock on the interconnecting doors was researched to that level of detail! Christie used the real life disappearance of the abduction of Charles Lindbergh’s son as inspiration for the plot indicating that the Queen of Crime relied on real criminals to recreate in fiction, something that some commentators complain that it is disrespectful for our contemporary authors to do.

Anyway back to the plot, a closed room (or train) mystery featuring Poirot who just happens to be on the Orient Express on his way back to London from Istanbul to deal with an urgent matter, after all travelling days on a train was the response to something urgent in the 1930’s. Once aboard the train which is unusually full for the time of year Poirot is approached by a Mr Ratchett who tells him that his life is being threatened and he needs protection. Poirot having taken a dislike to the man while at the hotel in Istanbul declines to take on the job stating ‘I do not like your face Mr Ratchett. On the second night of the journey Mr Ratchett is stabbed to death and since the train is stuck in a snow-drift the Yugoslavian Police are unable to attend so it falls upon dear old Poirot to carry out the investigation.

The plot is peppered with clues and the characters each drawn to enhance the differences of culture and class so that the reader is easily able to follow the various suspects and their actions so that while the amateur sleuth is pitted against the far superior little grey cells of Poirot they still have a chance to solve the mystery, and what a mystery it is!

I love this book the plot is ingenious, the pace fast and the victim a man who is despised by all so not a moments sorrow is wasted upon the deceased instead the pleasurable seeking the clues and fitting them together into a fitting scenario but best of all is the ending where with all the travellers are called to the fine dining car as Poirot outlines two possibilities of what could conceivably explain what happened in carriage number 2, and I can’t imagine a more perfect finale.

5.0 out of 5 stars On the edge of my seat till I finished, 7 Jan 1999
By A Customer
This and "And Then There Were None" prevented me from doing most of the things on my regular daily basis because they were so good! I read them everywhere: on the train while going to school, during independant studies, at home and I even skipped recess just to read them! I couldn't put them down; I sometimes even tried to fit myself as a character into the stories because they kept me more than entertained. Murder on the Orient Express is, without any doubt, one of Agatha Christie's best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christie at her best!, 20 Aug 2007
This review is from: Murder on the Orient Express (Poirot) (Paperback)
Having read all the Agatha Christie "Poirot" novels this is without doubt the one book that gave me the biggest surprise at the end.

In true Christie style the reader is led down an incredible path as the story unfolds with misdirection and subtle clues making you suspect several characters.

With this book I was stunned by the solution when Poirot, in his inimitable style "reveals all".

Both as an Agatha Christie novel and a crime fiction book this is one of the best. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Christie's best!, 28 Mar 1998
By A Customer
One of Christie's characteristics is that she likes to keep you guessing while trying her utmost to surprise you. The cleverness with which Poirot solves this case at the request of M. Bouc is amazing. This was one of the first Christie's I'd read over 20 years ago, and it made me a fan for life. This is a "must read" for any murder mystery fan; I believe it is my favorite of all her works.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love mystery, this is what you should read!, 3 Jun 1998
By A Customer
I, personally, love any mystery books. I used to like Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys till I figured that they are too childish now. Any of the books that Agatha Christie wrote is an excellent choice for teenagers like me. This is a very good book, has very good reasons and solutions in the end. Read it to find out!!

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't put your hands off the book!, 18 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This is the first Agatha's book I have read and it is just wonderful. Everyone seemed innocent enough and the ending was most extraordinary. This is the first time that I have finished a book in a day's time non stop. And I simply can't believe a quite ugly man could be such a loving character!

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

Murder on the Orient Express (Poirot)
Murder on the Orient Express (Poirot) by Agatha Christie (Paperback - 3 Sep 2007)