5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and poignant
Published on 31 Aug 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting & Entertaining
Isabel Wolff's last book is quite entertaining. The characters are funny although some of them are unlikely to exist and maybe extremely crazy or strange. The action and some of the issues that it tackles (i.e Bev's situation, marriage at certain age, the agony aunts profession) are quite new in this literature genre.
I found it easy to read, interesting, amusing and...
Published on 21 Sep 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and poignant, 31 Aug 2002
This review is from: Rescuing Rose (Paperback)
This funny, poignant and well-written book brought tears to my eyes not just from laughter but also from pathos. To use the kinds of platitude that Wolff herself ridicules in this book, my funny bone was tickled and my heart strings were tugged. What more could you want from a book? As always, Isabel Wolff's characters are witty, likeable and eccentric, and the warmth and human understanding that suffuse her writing draw you in.
Wolff's heroine, Rose, is a prickly, obsessively tidy agony aunt who is able to help others to face their problems, even though she's not too good at confronting her own. We're taken on a journey in a year of Rose's life in which new relationships and redemption for her and others ultimately bring about a satisfactory ending. The wide-range of attractive characters, glamorous set pieces in London and almost human animals (all, by now, Wolff trade marks) enhance and enliven a story that has unusual depth. Rescuing Rose will inevitably be categorized as chick fic although it is definitely something much more. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Moved to tears!, 1 Mar 2003
This review is from: Rescuing Rose (Paperback)
I wanted to write a review for 'Rescuing Rose' as although I love to read, I seldom find myself so moved as I did with this book.
I have read Isabel's other novels and so I didn't look too closely at the content of this one when I bought it - I just trusted that I would enjoy it as much as the others.

As I began to read it I was amazed and incredibly moved by it.

You see, I too am adopted. I have know about this since I was a baby but have always put off thinking about it and the downward spiral of my relationship with my adoptive parents. Just at the time when I was reading the book (November 2002) I had, more by accident, then searching, found my birth mother. I had just recently made contact and we had both spent a few hours talking and crying on the phone to each other.

I couldn't believe how much Rose's motives of deceiving herself mirrored my own (the trying to sort out other peoples problems, pushing the closest people away etc) and the feelings of anger and hurt about being abandoned at birth.

I can honestly say that I cried buckets when I read Roses letter from her mother. My birth mother was made to give me up against her wishes, had a breakdown and was sent packing to New Zealand with a one-way ticket. I now find that I have a mother, a step-father, a brother, sister, aunt and uncle and cousins, all waiting for me to visit with my family.

Isabel's book truly took my breath away.

I told my mother about the book and have now sent it to her to read. When I spoke to her last week she was halfway through it and she is hooked. I told her that it would tell her everything that I felt and how I feel now.

I don't usually write reviews but I just wanted to say that whatever research Isabel did into the psyche of adopted children was absolutely spot-on.
Isabel Wolff should be justifiably proud of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stars for Rose, 13 Nov 2002
This review is from: Rescuing Rose (Paperback)
Isobel Wolff's previous books have been heavy on the clever & witty, with a dash of the thoughtful thrown in. Rescuing Rose is a bit heavier on the thoughtful, but still a wonderfully fun read. Rose loves writing her advice column, in fact that's about the only thing about her life that she loves. Her short marriage has ended (her husband cheated on her with their marriage counselor), she's just moved into her own house (that she really can't afford), her best friends are batty and headed for their own show down, and there's that niggling problem of her own past - she's adopted. Despite this heavy set up, the book is funny and witty from the start, except...Even though I loved Rosie as a character from the start, Wolff starts dropping clues that maybe Rosie has a much deeper problems. (She does.) Enter Theo, the housemate that Rosie must take on to afford her new house. He's blunt and direct, but such a good heart. Oh, yes there is that stalker too (very funny in the end!) Ultimately, the book manages to take a look at some fairly serious issues without becoming preachy, Rosie finds the path to happiness, and the reader learns a lot about stargazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars LUV IT LUV IT LUV IT, 3 Feb 2005
This review is from: Rescuing Rose (Paperback)
this was a wonderful written story, i only wish i had written it myself, i read the book in 2 days and was very upset when i knew i was nearing the end of the book. Rose was funny, overactive and the biggest drama queen i have read about, BUT the story never once bored me or even made me dislike her. there was a couple of times there was tears in my eyes bacause of the touching exchanges between her and Theo. i loved it and have recommended it to many friends, who have enjoyed this book as much as i have.
Bravo and don't stop writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BOOK I HAVE READ THIS YEAR!, 23 May 2003
Joanne Schofield (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rescuing Rose (Paperback)
This book was simply brilliant. From the start to the end I was hooked. Although Isabel Wolff is classed in the genre of chick lit this was far far more than that. This truly talented author has made the characters in this book come to life - I was drawn to Rose almost immediately and by the end of the tale felt I knew her as a friend. It's not often that a book can make me laugh and cry but this one did. If you haven't read it go out and buy it NOW.

4.0 out of 5 stars Agony Aunt's Story, 23 Aug 2002
This review is from: Rescuing Rose (Paperback)
Having read all previous books by Isabel Wolff, I consider Rescuing Rose the most mature. The storyline is well plotted and the characters really come to life; I felt empathy with most of them. A disabled character has a dog as a companion who is drawn with such vividness and charm that I almost believed in him! Wolff is witty but not at the expense of emotional depth. A very good Read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 13 May 2003
This review is from: Rescuing Rose (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this latest offering from Isabel Wolff. It was offered to me by Amazon as an offer with another book. I wish I'd read this before the other one!
A very believable story with likable characters, I really got involved in the twists and turns that Rose's life took through the story. By the end I just couldn't put it down. The letter from her mother is impossible to read without reaching for the tissues.
The cover of this book makes you think it might be the standard 'chick-lit' offering that is too prevalent these days but it is defintely a more mature read.
Definately to be recommended as a light read but at the same time a good story well told.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and poignant..., 30 Nov 2002
This review is from: Rescuing Rose (Paperback)
I loved this book. I like the intelligence, and the combination of humour
and poignancy. The use of anagrams to indicate Rose's slightly obsessive
character is a brilliant touch. I also learnt a lot about astronomy. I
found Rose a deeply sympathetic character with all her problems and flaws.
Above all, it is a well-written book that made made me cry, especially the
ending describing what happened to Rose's mother. But most of all, I loved
it because it's so funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rose with Thorns, 5 Sep 2002
This review is from: Rescuing Rose (Paperback)
The cover of Rescuing Rose is pretty in pink, leading readers to expect yet another girly whirl on the chick lit merry-go-round. Rose is the agony aunt who can't recognise she's got more problems than Marge Proops deals with in a year ... Will she get back with the ex or fall for Theo the stargazer?
While we get lulled into this charming romantic comedy, we're suddenly spiked by a few thorns as some serious social issues are raised, particularly adoption and the plight (especially the isolation) of people with disabilities, all of which are skilfully woven into the narrative.
An extremely well written, highly intelligent and thought provoking book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 6 Aug 2004
This review is from: Rescuing Rose (Paperback)
Rose is an agony aunt, but she has many problems of her own. A failed marrage under her belt, extensive press coverage and a cleaning problem, Rose is not a happy woman.
When her best friends Bella and Bea suggest she takes in a lodger to help pay the mortage on her-far-too-big house, Theo moves in. Blunt and Northern, he sets Rose's teeth on edge. But is it because he knows Rose's mind better than she does?
The sub plots include jealousy between boyfriends with Bella and Bea (the identical twins), the disabled neighbour next door, and a stingy ex-husband who suddenly wants Rose back? Will Rose make the right choice?
For me, the thing that made this book for me was how the subject of adoption was tackled. It was done sensibly, and realistically, showing that it doesn't always have to end in tears.
The plot twisted and turned, and I found that I couldn't put this book down! I think this is the best book that Isabel Wolff has written, and I would definately recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Rescuing Rose
Rescuing Rose by Isabel Wolff (Paperback - 4 July 2011)
14.99