on 6 March 2010
I used to listen to this almost nightly as a child and recently felt the urge to seek it out to see if it was as good as I remember it.I'm pleased to report that it's every bit as good, if not better, than I remember.

Michael Hordern possessed a voice that was unmatched in it's ability to convey character and atmosphere. He voices every character and this serves to draw the listener in even more than if there was a full cast. The other aspect that I remembered vividly is the great harp and flute music Narnia Suite [IMPORT]. The story is delivered with great respect and there are scenes which have a pathos unparalleled in any audiobook production I have heard. The scene where Aslan makes the moonlit walk to the stone table with Susan and Lucy still resonates strongly with me today.

The scenes set outside the wardrobe evoke wartime, English evacuee-living perfectly and offer a great window into a lost era for modern children. I doubt that anything of this quality will be produced again as the overall production is absolutely perfect, and I doubt that there are people this talented at work in the field today.

If you want to give your child a gift that they will remember for the rest of their lives then let them listen to this, they will be eternally grateful.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 September 2003
We had the entire series of Narnia audiobooks read by Michael Horden bought for us to keep us quiet on our family holiday down to Cornwall, a 7 hour drive.... His wonderful narration and the haunting sounds of the harp music accompanying the story makes this version of the book enchanting and guaranteed to hold your young ones and yourselves spellbound.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 January 2003
I have loved all the Narnia books since I was a little girl and wanted to introduce this wonderful world created by C S Lewis to my own six year old daughter, however I felt the full, unabridged novels would be too old for her. This particular version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is ideal for the younger child - it misses out much of the scarier elements and things that would confuse a younger child (and prompt difficult questions to answer for that age group) but leaves in enough to keep it exciting and full of adventure (and yes still prompt some questions that can be hard to answer!). My daughter loved it and now wants more. If they bring out the other books in the series in this format I will certainly buy them.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Quite possibly everyone has heard of the Narnia series, and many of us were brought up on the legend of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe."
This particular edition is the original story repackaged for C.S Lewis's 100th anniversary, only broken down and made easier on the eyes as well as for younger children with glossed paper and colour illustrations throughout.
The result is something delightful for anyone of any age to read, particularly when encouraging older children to read more sophisticated novels by enticing with bright illustrations.
Something to read over and over, with a little more to look at too.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 4 January 2004
This book is perhaps the best known of the seven books written by C.S. Lewis about the world of Narnia and it is also probably one of the best-loved children's books ever written.
I remember my first tentative steps with Lucy through the back of the wardrobe into the snow covered world of Narnia and found myself half-wishing that I could have a wardrobe like that in my house. I only half-wished it, of course, because I soon discovered that Narnia wasn't always the safest of places to be.
As with all of the best magical tales, there is to be a battle between good and evil, a battle that will see some making the ultimate sacrifice for their friends, for the people they love.
Some people may be put off reading these tales or reading them to their children because of the way Lewis weaves Christian mythology and messages into the very fabric of his story. I would urge you not to be put off by this. As a child I didn't pick up on these references and simply saw a gloriously magical book in which I could lose myself in a great adventure.
This is the edition published as a tie-in with the BBC's TV series of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (which has been released on DVD). As a result you get some marvellous stills from the programme as well as the more traditional illustrations by Pauline Baynes.
A story so well told you won't forget it - buy it and treasure it!
on 17 August 2004
This deluxe version has the original black and white illustrations hand-coloured in by the original artist, Pauline Baynes.

'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' introduced readers to the wonders and enchantment of Narnia when it was first published almost fifty years ago.
Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy have been sent to live with a professor in the country during the London air-raids.
While playing hide and seek in his large house, Lucy finds that the wardrobe in the spare room transports her to the magical and snowy land of Narnia, which is under the spell of a terrible 'White Witch' who has made it 'always winter but never Christmas'.

At first, Lucy's brother and sister don't believe her, but soon they, too, find themselves in this new land!

The four must survive much danger to join 'Aslan the Lion' in the fight to free Narnia and break the evil witch's spell.

At a superb price from Amazon, this edition will not fail to impress.

A definite must for the bookshelf whatever your age!
on 1 March 2011
This was read to me when I was 8 by my form teacher in England. I still remember the readings and the anxiety and joy that gripped our little hearts as Mrs Drakeford put her heart and soul into captivating us with the tale of Aslan and the Pevensie children in Narnia.

Finding the book recently in a second hand shop I re-read it and found it to be almost as wonderful as 33 years ago (although I resented then and still do, the inclusion of Father Christmas. As we knew he didn't exist about 6 months before the story was read to us, why bung him into someone else's fantasy?)

The imagination of CS Lewis is gorgeously vivid and and he creates the world very clearly with minimal flabby padding or unnecessary waffle. While this book is not the best in the series it holds the attention and the parallels with the story of Jesus are obvious but touchingly wrought.

This series held my heart for a long time as a boy and I for years I wouldn't touch Harry Potter's books for fear that they would outshine Narnia (I've since read Philosopher's Stone and it's not as good as these novels).

A magical and glorious story for children to love.
on 27 April 2004
You need the unabridged versions of these books - and generally the seriesworks well.
these have seen us through several long car journeys andthe pace has been good. Sufficently exciting for you to have to wait to asuitable point to get out of the car.
All we need now is the LastBattle to complete the set.
and when you've heard the tape/CD go offand read the books.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is arguably one of the best books ever written, for children or adults. It combines excitement, passion and poignancy with finely drawn characterisation, a breathtaking sweep of scenery, and the creation of an entirely new and plausible universe.
I enjoyed having this read to me when I was very small (though I didn't like the scary bits) and I've enjoyed reading it again, and again, and again over many years. Story, characters and scenery are painted in a very few words, but you come away with the sense that this is a very detailed book.
It continues to live powerfully in the imagination long after the last page is turned.
It's also a book that improves with age. Whether or not you see (or agree with) Lewis's underlying themes, the motion of the story at its turning point, with the death and return of Aslan, is like a tidal wave. The story takes in every kind of emotion, and is a powerful reminder of childhood -- the wonder, but also the spitefulness and bickering.
This is a 'great' book, in the sense that few books of its length are. At its publication it propelled Lewis from a role as a relatively popular amateur philosopher to celebrity status on both sides of the Atlantic. Half a century later, it is still delighting audiences young and old.
on 7 October 2003
My daughter simply cannot put this book down! This abridged version is still captivating yet simple enough for a child to grasp in the main. Some questions remain unanswered but that is the beauty of the mystery. It makes her want to read the rest of the series. The illustrations are simply stunning! If your child is a bookworm like mine and loves art, this is the book for him/her!