5.0 out of 5 stars Excellently written, you can draw within hours - seriously
Published on 8 April 2002 by J. Farrow

3.0 out of 5 stars The bad and the good
I've written this review so people know what to expect. All the rave reviews lead you to expect something with a WOW facter. This isn't some half-baked self-help manual. Nor is it a lavishly-illustrated book with loads of beautiful drawings and an "In a bound he was free" way of acheiving them. It requires careful reading. The stuff about right and left side of the brain...
Published on 22 July 2012 by Peasant

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellently written, you can draw within hours - seriously, 8 April 2002
J. Farrow (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
I bought this book in February 2002 and started applying the techniques on 6 Feb. At first I was sceptical, but after doing the exercises (upside-down drawing, negative space et cetera)I decided to do a drawing every day. Within three weeks I had copied exactly the picture of Stravinsky by Picasso, sketched hands which look real. The book is unbelievable, really. Betty Edwards unravels any mystique that you previously thought existed in art. It was so good I've bought one for a friend and will buy another in September for another friend's birthday. It is not about practise it is about connecting shapes. Read it and see!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing! I was astounded., 3 Jun 2002
This review is from: The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
I am a painter but my drawing is something else entirely. (I have managed with basic outlines and leaving out details) but draw as many other adults do like a child.
My friend lent the book to me because she knows I paint. Although it held no interest to me initially (because I can't draw) I thought I would read it.
Well I couldn't believe what I was drawing within minutes on the first day, and the second day was even better. I am on the third day now and although not the greatest artist I am certainly a hundred times better than before. I see things differently and in detail and I would now draw even the most complex item or scene with no worries.
The trick is not to learn how to draw with this book. The trick is to SEE by turning of the left side of your brain which usually tells you what you think you are seeing. This is easier than it sounds with some simple tricks to fool your brain into letting the right side do the work.
When you can SEE things you can DRAW them. So you don't need to learn to draw at all. You always could. Believe me and the book. You will definitely improve in hours and may find that you have a talent you didn't have before.
Highly recommended. I only wish I could show you my before and after drawings.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great place to start..., 28 Jun 2003
P. Middleton "Mr_M" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
I have to admit this was an impulse buy - browsing, the title caught my eye. The claims were amazing, but any change to my drawing ability would have to rate as an improvement, so off I went with the book.
Rather later than sooner in a way-too-busy schedule I finally went on a long business trip - I'm still on it, in fact - and put Drawing On The Right in my case. After three weeks I was taking digital photos of the results and annoying friends on e-mail going 'will you just look at THIS?????'. I couldn't bring myself to add the rest of the features to one picture of a face, I was so afraid I would detract from the effect of the eyes I'd just drawn.
It is necessary to take time and work at the exercises, as well as properly read the text - it's not all drawing instruction, there's background information and student showings too. The 'how to' part is startlingly small, in fact.
Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain took me in less than a month from drawing as I did when I was about 11, through a freeing-up process, drawing outlines, perspective, profile, head on and three-quarter facial proportions and shading to a point where I can fade out at my desk after a hammeringly busy day and lose twenty minutes happily doodling a recogniseable picture of a collegue, a realistic chair or a banana skin from lunch and be completely awed at what I've just produced.
I found Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain a great place to start learning to draw - something I thought completely beyond me. How to improve and move to other styles and ways of seeing is a different matter, but now there's a basis and confidence that I will not be completely wasting my time I can hardly wait to investigate further.
If you can take the time, it's well worth the effort

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent teacher, 12 Jan 2004
This review is from: The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
This is the first book I bought to do with drawing. I've never taken lessons before but always wanted to learn. Betty Edwards makes an excellent teacher. Her simple steps, tips and examples can take you a long way. You do need to devote some time to drawing in your free time and gradually you'll notice the difference in your drawing skills. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I would recommend it to anyone who feels they could perfect their skills and to those who are pure beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll surprise yourself, 2 July 2007
Minnie Mouse (Wexford, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
I bought this book when I decided to start an art class. On the back cover and inside the book (pages 18 to 20) are before and after drawings by pupils on a 5 day course learning how to draw using using the techniques that this book is based on. They are all self portraits - some are quite good to start with but an equal number are pretty lousy, however, ALL the post instruction drawings show a huge improvement ranging from good to excellent. Cynic that I am, I showed these pictures to my friend scornfully saying "I don't belive that, do you?". I had to eat my words. Simply - the book works. Once you realise how to "tap in to the right side of the brain" its like learning some fantastic secret - ANYBODY can learn to draw and learn quickly. Try the "upside down horse" - you'll impress even yourself!!

5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best book on drawing that there is, 30 Jun 2006
Roger (Solihull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
Quite simply, this should be the first 'teach yourself to be an artist' book that you buy. It addresses the basic reasons why people go wrong, and teaches you how to overcome the problems in a very clear way.

For example, tables normally have four legs of equal length, colour and shape. But drawings which depict tables like this are usually unrealistic and confused. You need to draw what you see - and not what you 'know'.

The book starts off with too much theory, and there's a lot of repetition. Lots of pages that you can skim over. But the improvement in one's results is astonishing.

I got the bug to start drawing and painting, and soon had bought 10 books and borrowed another 10 from the library. When I opened this book, I realised that I only needed a couple of technique books to supplement it. So, many of my purchases are now on their way to eBay...

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't just recommend this book here..............., 27 May 2006
This review is from: The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
I'm an artist and, when drawing in public, people often tell me "I wish I could draw". When they do I immediately recommend they try reading this book. I find it's a book which is very accessible for people with no background in drawing or painting. The main reason I recommend it though is because it focuses on teaching people how to look properly (rather than drawing what they think they see) - which is absolutely vital for any drawing to be effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 27 Jan 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
As someone who has studies 'art' for many years, I found that I always understood the principles, but that they never worked for me. Reading this book, I realise that despite everyone telling me to 'look' at things, I never really did. In a remarkabley short period of time I have transformed my abilities, to the extent that my friends and teachers have no idea what has happened.
This book may be pushed as a source for ground breaking, revolutionary theories, but really, it just teaches you how to draw. Everyone I know who has seen this book has found it beneficial, regardless of their ability, or interest levels.
Fabulous. It can also be used as a flick through reference, if there's not enough time to read it through - the index is comprehensive, even though if you read it chapter by chapter, it's not hard to get through.

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, 14 Jan 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
This is a truly inspirational book. I read it all the way through in record time as I couldn't wait to get started on the exercises. I think my drawing skills have improved immensely as I now really 'look' at what I am drawing and not draw what I 'think' I see. Betty Edwards has a very easy style, she gives loads of encouragement all the way through. It is obvious she knows her subject. Even if you think you 'know it all' you will learn something from this book. A must for any artist's book shelf, in my opinion. I have sent for the workbook now and The Artist Within. I am encouraging my son to read this book also.

5.0 out of 5 stars nothing short of miraculous!, 3 Aug 2003
E. A. N. Otway "nadine" (france) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
Before I read this book the extent of my drawing prowess was badly drawn stick people. Within a couple of days, having learned to turn off my extremely dominant left brain, I was drawing unbelievably well. Through this book I have discovered that I too can draw, and it has given me a hobby which is not only enriching but life enhancing.
I cannot recommend this book too highly! If you buy it you really won't be disappointed.

The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards (Paperback - 5 Nov 2001)