5.0 out of 5 stars Review from an older reader!
Published on 16 Jun. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Reading the series
This book is ok, the start of darren becoming a respected vampire. But not got a main story or tension point like the tunnels of blood. These books should have been made into one or two larger books.
Published 16 months ago by lucy g

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from an older reader!, 16 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Vampire Mountain (The Saga of Darren Shan, Book 4) (Paperback)
I've recently finished 'Vampire Mountain' having already shared the exploits of Darren and Mr Crepsley in the previous three books. I'm probably not the typical target reader as I bought these for two of my sons aged 14 and 12 (at which age group the books seem to be aimed) - nevertheless, I decided to read the first book to check out the suitability and found myself...hooked!! The boys have also zoomed through all the books and we are now waiting eagerly for book 5 - Trials of Death. It's a pity these two books couldn't have been available together because they look to be two halves of the same story. Our favourite so far has been Tunnels of Blood - if only because we are impatient at having to wait for the second part of the Vampire Mountain!! Despite the subject of the books being vampires, I have found them very 'moral' - both Mr C and Darren having scruples and quite old-fashioned values- loyalty, friendship, bravery etc. I think the part in Tunnels of Blood where Darren wonders what his new girlfriend expects of him on their first date is also great for teenage boys - girls get all this kind of thing from magazines but boys don't have easy reference to the sort of soul-searching that Darren does here. The author has said he thinks books 3 and 4 are even better than 1 and 2 and I agree - he seems to have relaxed into the story. He certainly makes you care about the characters and you can see chances to meet up with old friends later on e.g.I'd take bets that the wolf cub 'Rudi', introduced in this book will turn up again. So, if any parents are reading and want to know if the books are suitable for their children - I'd say as long as they are over about 11/12 years old and not too suggestible - go ahead they're a great read and you may even enjoy them yourself!!

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB!!, 20 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
I thought this bok was great! It's very fast moving and there are some brilliant characters. I would advise any readers of this book to read the beginning of the Darren Shan saga first, though. All the others are great as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars A chilling, dark book that ends on a note of suspense..., 6 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
This book was absolutely wonderful and is my favourite in the series so far for several reasons. Firstly, it explores the changing relationship between Darren and Mr. Crepsley as they come to a better understanding of each other. Secondly, it gives us some interesting facts about the Little People and their leader... It also tells us a lot about the ruthlessness of the vampires and their mythology, which helps in understanding their motives. Finally, it ends on a wonderful cliffhanger, which adds to the note of suspense present throughout. I love this series and will certaintly be getting the next book. Any true horror or fantasy fans should get it too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 16 July 2013
These reviews are probably going to get a bit repetitive, Basically I Love this series!

This book jumps forward in time a bit, Darren has now been with the Cirque for 8 years, he has grown accustomed to being half-vampire, but now Mr Crepsley decides it is time for him to be introduced to the Vampire Council. They only meet every 12 years, so now is the opportune moment. But their meeting place is buried deep within some mountains, the journey is hard and only the toughest survive. Darren most concur harsh conditions before he can worry about what awaits him inside.

I didn't mind the fact that the story leaps so many years in the future, you get enough of a sense of his life for it to make sense and just pushes things to the next level. Although Darren still looks very young he has grown up over the years and certainly grown as a character, I like the new Darren, he is more confident and comfortable in his own skin. Still a bit awkward at times but certainly more mature.

This book has some really exciting moments that made me want to read faster and faster. Of course, I know there are 12 books in total so there is no real danger of Darren being killed, but it is written so well that the suspense still catches you.

We also meet some new characters at Vampire mountain and they are a great addition to the book, especially Arra and Kurda, I hope to see more of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fang-tastic (very corny, i know), 7 Jun. 2001
Vampire mountain, which is the 4th book in the bone chilling Darren Shan Series, tells of the Half vampire Darren Shan on his Terifying Jorney to the meeting place of the vampire princes 'Vampire Mountain.' I love this book but i know some potential readers might be put off thinking that they are only for young children but i can tell you that they offer a Gripping plot with many twists and turns to keep a wide range of age groups entertained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Mountain review, 30 Dec. 2014
I really enjoyed this mysterious book, I adore the Darren Shan series, there just spectacular! The way the well-chosen words are twisted wonderfully just gives the book a realistic feel. I would definitely recommend this book, it's absolutely marvellous.

Darren Shan and his mentor, Mr Crepsley make the brutal journey to Vampire Mountain. Once in the mountain, Darren accepts a challenge from the most feared fighter in the mountain, and fails in pride. Then Darren and Mr Crepsley face the Vampire Princes, and Darren is asked to prove himself in a brutal, barbaric way...

4.0 out of 5 stars V mountain, 5 Jan. 2013
Slightly boring but action wise but at the same time it is still fascinating to learn more about the little people and the ways of the vampires

4.0 out of 5 stars very well written, 17 Feb. 2013
An excellent read for teenagers or adults alike, a very accomplished writter he should branch out into oure adult fiction

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 26 Dec. 2012
Very very good my grandson loved it it wasn't as good as the other books but it is good amazing

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for any young teenager, 12 Feb. 2013
I bought this book for my boyfriends 12 year old son and he hasn't put it down. Darren Shan is a fantastic author and I would recommend these books for any young teens.

My boyfriends son is not normally a good reader but cant seem to put these books down.

Vampire Mountain (The Saga of Darren Shan, Book 4)
Vampire Mountain (The Saga of Darren Shan, Book 4) by Darren Shan (Paperback - 5 Feb. 2009)