1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars A companion volume, not a replacement, 16 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Collins New Naturalist Library (92) - Lakeland (Paperback)
I bought this book as the previous volume in the New Naturalist series that dealt with the Lake District, by Pearsall and Pennington, had a tremendous influence on me when I read it as an A level student. It certainly influenced my choice of degree course and my choice of university, and gave me a first insight into what made the region the way it was. But time has moved on since it was published and I was interested to read this book to see how new understanding and new issues would add to the previous publication.

Perhaps then I didn't approach it with a sufficiently open mind, as I found myself comparing it to its predecessor and coming off worse. This isn't to say that it's not a worthwhile read - it is, albeit with caveats, and someone interested in the area who hasn't read the first publication will unquestionably get a lot from it. It also extends the area covered, including more on the northern part of the area and stretching east to the Pennines too.

My caveats are two: that this publication refers to its predecessor within the text too often as a point of further reference - the information should be in this book for the reader; and the writing style, full of references to published works, is academic - this makes it a good deal less accessible to the general reader.

As a supplement and companion volume to the first, it works. But even though it's been a long time since the first volume covering the Lake District was published in the New Naturalist series, I think it remains a better first port of call for the interested reader. An amalgam of that book with this, written in the accessible style of the first, would provide the definitive modern volume.

Collins New Naturalist Library (92) - Lakeland
Collins New Naturalist Library (92) - Lakeland by Derek Ratcliffe (Paperback - 7 Oct. 2002)
Used & New from: £14.63