5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff from a writer who really knows what she's doing, 17 Aug 2003
Tara Saunders (Derry, NI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luck of the Wheels (Paperback)
I'll admit that, as Robin Hobb, I've always believed that this writer didn't know how to finish a trilogy. With this one -- and okay, it's a quartet -- she's really proven me wrong.
Anybody who's come to love Ki and Vandien through the earlier adventures in this series will be absorbed in this one right from the start. The sluttish Willow is easy to hate, and when at one point it seems that she'll seduce Vandien right out from under Ki's nose my blood literally boiled.
I struggled with the difficult Goat right from the start. Despicable, yes. Pitiable, yes. Dangerous, yes. It seemed that there was no choice but that he tangle our duo up in something they really didn't want a part in.
A fun adventure, an exploration of racism, the human condition, the bond between two people, the concept of personal honour and self respect. This book has everything.
Damn but this writer's good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ki and Vandien, you'll be sorely missed....., 6 Jun 2007
Fantasy Lore - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Luck of the Wheels (Paperback)
Despite drawing to a close this enchanting series `Luck of the Wheels' is yet another uniquely original and well-plotted story, colourfully bringing to life a small group of characters and their navigation of beautiful, yet increasingly danger-ridden lands. However, this happens to be a stand-alone story in many respects, just as I felt the previous book (`The Limbreth Gate') in the `Ki and Vandien' series had also been. Themes explored in the first book (`Harpy's Flight') such as the relationship between Ki and the harpies, and in the second book (`The Windsingers') such as Ki's kinship with that particular group are not addressed at all in this story. I hadn't felt there had been as much resolution of those issues as there could have been in the previous books and now with this concluding part it seems there never will be. This is however the best book in the series in my opinion since `Harpy's Flight' and that's reason enough to celebrate.

It's the only disappointment I have with this series and admittedly, it's a small one and it's made even more insignificant when you consider that the other riveting theme of this series is stepped up yet another gear in this story. It is of course the relationship between Ki and Vandien themselves. In finishing this book I realise that this series has been less about flesh, feather or feminine demons, as it has been about the inner demons of Ki and Vandien and their unspoken love for one another.

An emotion that Lindholm is particularly adept at inspiring in her readers is a fury for those characters who are almost the antithesis of our heroes. There are two characters who join Ki and Vandien on their final journey into the untravelled and unfriendly southern lands and they are the volatile Goat and whirling-dervish-like Willow, both of whom I found equally infuriating, but who nonetheless contributed to my speedy consumption of this story.

Another quality you've probably come to expect of this author's writing is that as often as she's able Lindholm pulls on the heart-strings of her readers by subjecting her beloved characters to ever-increasing danger and this story is no exception- there's quite a bit of heartache in this story, which I won't spoil for you by going into here. Suffice to say that although the finale came far too soon for me, I found it an appropriate way to end the series. The `Ki and Vandien' quartet is one I'll very likely read again, I enjoyed it that much. Thanks Megan.

4.0 out of 5 stars A slow start but a gripping ending., 8 Oct 2010
This review is from: Luck of the Wheels (Paperback)
This is the fourth and final book in the Windsingers quartet (after Harpy's Flight, The Windsingers and The Limbreth Gate).

In this volume, Ki and Vandien, having trouble finding employment in the South, accept an unusual cargo: they must bring Gotheris, the teenage son of a local villager, to his uncle in the city of Villena where he is to become a healer.

What should have aroused their suspicions was that everyone seemed happy to get rid of "Goat". He'll turn out a strange and tortured boy indeed. That combined with all the rest (the despotic local Duke's Brurjan patrols, the rebellion, the runaway girl Willow) will turn what seemed like an easy stroll into quite an adventure. The money was just too good to be true!

I found the first half of Luck of the Wheel rather slow, with just the team plodding through the countryside and Goat and Willow being difficult, and I was wondering where the story would be going to. Eventually, the pace picked up and the last third proved genuinely gripping. I now realize I grew quite fond of Ki and Vandien and I'm pretty sad to leave them behind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it even more the second time around, 12 July 2014
I've read the whole series before, but gave the books away so decided to put them on my Kindle. Loved it even more the second time around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good finish to the series, 15 Jun 2014
Good finish to the series, although not as intense as some of the earlier ones. Really looking forward to reading more Robin Hobb

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 16 Sep 2013
catching up on the first "Robin Hobb" books under her real name. loving them. Great series one again from Megan

4.0 out of 5 stars The Final Part of the Ki and Vandien Quartet, 20 April 2013
I had to read this since I read the other three,I find Megan Lindholm/Robin Hobbs' work fairly addictive. A great ending to an action packed swash buckling fantasy adventure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dn't be put off, 26 Feb 2013
Nowhere near as bad as some reviewers suggest - in fact, I put off reading this book and the others in the Ki and Vandien series for months after reading disappointed reviews. It might suffer from comparison with the writer's booms written as Hobb, but it is still a good, entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I definitely recommend the whole Ki and Vandien series, 13 Jan 2013
Excellent work by Lindholm; imaginative and intelligent, with the ability to draw the reader into a world which has the integrity to stick to it's own rules; whatever the cost to the loved characters that wend their way through. The best sort of speculative fiction, in fact. I can give it no higher recommendation.

Luck of the Wheels
Luck of the Wheels by Megan Lindholm (Paperback - 1 July 2002)
7.51