4.0 out of 5 stars Jolly Amusing Old Thing

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best T and T
Published on 31 Oct 2010 by Shouna Falconer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best T and T, 31 Oct 2010
Shouna Falconer (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Partners in Crime (Tommy & Tuppence Chronology) (Paperback)
This isn't the best of the Tommy and Tuppence books, but in my opinion the negative review is too harsh, especially as it savages the characters, who I think are Agatha Christie's best creation. If you want to be completist, this book is worth reading to have the full set, but anyone who hasn't yet met T and T should probably read all the others first. I don't think this book deserves the 5 star reviews any more than the dreadful negative review, but it's the weakest of the 5. It's entertaining enough, but just poor by comparison.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jolly Amusing Old Thing, 21 July 2011
'This delightfully witty book will come as a pleasant suprise to all admirers of these ingenious detective thrillers for which Agatha Christie is famous. It tells the story of the amazing adventures of two amateur detectives - Tommy, a remarkable young man of thirty two, and his equally remarkable wife, Tuppence - who follow the methods of famous detective heroes, such as Sherlock Holmes, Inspector French, Roger Sheringham, Bulldog Drummond, Father Brown and even Monsiuer Poirot himself. Problem after problem comes before them for solution, and the account of their endeavours to live up to their slogan "Blunt's Brilliant Detectives! Any case solved in twenty four hours!" Makes delicious reading.'

The above paragraph came from the back cover of my copy of Partners in Crime. I have repeated it here because firstly, I don't think that amazon have written the whole of it under the book description, and secondly because I think it gives a really good account of what is to be found in this book. Partners in Crime is not typical of other Christie works in my opinion because it isn't a nail biting thriller with a complicated plot. It is a series of short stories and although they are based on mysteries to solve, they rely heavily on humour. The characters play around with the serious subject of crime as if it were a game. They adopt accents, mannerisms and props of a famous detective or duo everytime they are given a case, even to the point of silliness. There isn't a thick plot to dig your teeth into, or detailed characters to disect, although the mysteries certainly show Christie's clever streak within them.

I really like this book, because I find it funny, light and interesting, but it wasn't what I was expecting. The characters lark about and do not take their cases or themselves seriously and that is something to be aware of when you are choosing whether or not to buy this book. If you buy this book looking for something light hearted then you are in for 'a ripping good time old bean' but if you want suspense, thrills, and a gritty nail biting journey, then maybe this isn't the right one.

I would highly recommend Partners in Crime as a fantastic and funny collection of mystery stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agatha Christie - Partners in Crime, 30 Sep 2010
I'm not as devoted to the Tommy and Tuppence series as Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple, but this is an entertaioning read. Christie is an absolute classic, although some of the statements uttered by characters are, if I'm being kind, rather dated. Well worth owning, reading and cherishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tommy & Tuppence, 16 Oct 2013
Best fun and crime solving from the partners in crime! The queen of crime writting does not dissapoint with this collection of short stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read if an Agatha Christie fan., 10 Nov 2013
I came to realize that these characters existed in their own right a short while ago, so felt compelled to read their stories. This is much better than the way the characters have been incorporated into stories with other Christie characters in recent TV adaptations. This book is a collection of short stories. I am now reading the next in the series (N or M) , which is a full length novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not My Cup of Tea, 29 Oct 2013
Elizabeth-Anne (Mid Glamorgan S. Wales) - See all my reviews
First, let me say I am a huge fan of many of Agatha Christie's books. I found however that this particular offering was extremely dated, very childish and overall not creditable. I like to re-listen my audio books many times, but I wont bother to listen to this again. I appreciate that this was written many years ago, but so were the Miss Marple and Poirot books, which do offer continual enjoyment, for me anyway. I found myself itching to give both Tommy and Tuppence a good slap in the face, and tell them to grow up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun, 9 Jun 2012
This book was an enjoyable, light-hearted read. It persuaded me to purchase the other Tommy and Tuppence books but this one was the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Partners in Crime, 20 Nov 2009
Mrs. H. Dunn (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Very good CDs. Interest is maintained throughout by the excellent characterisation of Hugh Fraser's reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tommy and Tuppence are back again!, 4 April 2006
Of all of Christie's characters, Tommy and Tuppence are the most delightful (in my opinion). Life is a game in many ways and danger is just another facet to enjoy.
Tommy and Tuppence are restless for the excitement of their earlier lives. So, when Mr. Carter, Chief of Intelligence, asks them to take over Blunt's International Detective Agency, they leap at the chance. Their main role will be to help catch an international criminal ring.
To guarantee that they can live up to their assumed role, they decide to emulate the great detectives of fiction. While solving one mystery after the other (though keeping firmly away from divorce cases) they manage to encounter the international gang. In the end we all know what will happen, as all Christie books manage to solve the main mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, 23 April 1999
By A Customer
If I could give this book 10 crowns I would give it to this masterpiece. This is the best Agatha Christy Book I have ever read! Although it doesn't have one of the famous characters like Poirot or Marple it is very very very very very very very interesting to read. I might be only 15 but this book is the best I have read in my life. My next favourite is Murder on the orient express by the same author, Agatha Christy

ARRAY(0xa5e6eec4)

Partners in Crime (Tommy & Tuppence Chronology)
Partners in Crime (Tommy & Tuppence Chronology) by Agatha Christie (Paperback - 15 Oct 2007)
5.59