5.0 out of 5 stars 10 stars if i could
I read this book(paperback) in Italy 2 years ago, and thought it was the most funny/humorous book i have ever read, i vividly remember laughing my head at the side of the pool whilst everyone was looking at me funny. I came back to amazon to find another BIll book for my summer hols to relax and have some fun. I simply could not beleive that another reader had given it 1...
Published on 23 Jun. 2003 by JMG Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the Connolly Biography
I grew up in the same Glasgow tenements as Billy Connolly, jumped the same dykes and scurried to the same outside toilets on a dark night. I bought his records in the 70s, his videos in the 90s and saw him once live. I'm a fan and glad he's doing well.
I approached this biography with an open mind - keen to learn more about a great entertainer and a bit of a hero of...
Published on 4 Jan. 2002 by Amazon Kunde

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside the mind of the Big Yin, 4 Oct. 2001
This review is from: Billy Connolly (Hardcover)
It turns out that he's infinately more complex than we ever thought. His ability to laugh in the face of adversity comes to the fore especially taking into account his revelations about his relationship with his father. With all the cards stacked against him he chose the stage as a career. I can't praise this book enough. Stephenson is a competent writer, slowly she extracts ever more revealing insights into the big man.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I miss something...?, 3 Oct. 2002
This review is from: Billy (Paperback)
I know that Pamela must be very proud of herself for rescuing Billy from himself for the rest of the world. But every single chapter seems to start:
"Billy was holding court at a Rolling Stones after gig party; Jesus, Ronald Regan, the Beatles, Martin Luther King and Elvis were all listening to Billy speak when out of the corner of my eye I noticed that God was ignoring Pele and eavesdropping on Billy's amazingly funny story..."
If you want to peer into the telephone book of Billy and Pam, this is the book for you. If you want a great book about Billy's life, wait for something with a little less gush to arrive. As Steve Martin said, "great book, but I would change the title to..." Pamela!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, but not quite a great book, 3 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Billy Connolly (Hardcover)
This is Billy's story, but not his voice. As a long time fan, I was always going to enjoy a book about him, and I did. It is entertaining and reasonably well written, but I can't help feeling that it could have been better. It feels like being in a room with Billy and Pamela. Pamela is telling stories from Billy's past - "Billy thought this..." "Billy said that..." and you keep turning to Billy, mute, thinking 'right, but why isn't Billy telling me this?'.
Because it is his language, the richness (OK, filthiness) of his vocabulary and the passion with which he delivers the stories that make him, in my mind, the funniest person alive. An example: Pamela tells of how, when Billy was just becoming the 'windswept and interesting' person he had long wanted to be, he (claims he) had problems with transferring his ability to make women laugh, to getting them into bed. Fine, but I have seen Billy talk about this in a routine, and it is his performance that really brings the story alive - the passion with which he wanted to be successful with ladies; the angst he felt at simply not being able to turn them from laughter to arousal.
This passion, to my mind, is the key to Billy Connolly as a great performer and, whilst the book is an interesting and entertaining read, it doesn't quite capture the essence of the man.

2.0 out of 5 stars First Half Good, Second Half Poor, 6 Feb. 2002
This review is from: Billy Connolly (Hardcover)
The first half of this book is very interesting. It tells of the horrific conditions in which Billy grew up, how he coped or didn't cope with them and how his career developed from the ship yards to famous comedian. Unfortunately the second half of the book is just one big name dropping session. I think the second half of the book tells us as much about Billy's wife as the first half does about Billy. An auto biography by both would have been better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read But Some Problems, 4 Dec. 2001
This review is from: Billy Connolly (Hardcover)
A lot of reviews have said that the book is great and many have slammed the Pamela Stephenson for her indullgent writing style. In a way both are correct.
On the whole the book is a well written good read. I feel that the book starts off a little shaky with some difficulty in following all of Billy's miriad of (similarly named it seems) relatives. It soon gets into its stride and is a good not too strenuous read. As indeed a book of this type should be.
It must be said however that the introduction in particular, and some other sections are wordy in the extreme. Having read the first few pages I almost gave up as I had no clue what she was trying to say!!
The only other problem with the book is the persistant name dropping. I think she must get inthe name of every celeb in the USA and many elsewhere as well! I think she would probably defend herself by saying that this shows the change Billy has made in his life - but then she could just have written that!!...

1.0 out of 5 stars Dismal Rubbish, 29 Dec. 2001
This review is from: Billy Connolly (Hardcover)
If this is Pamela Stephenson's first attempt at writing, I truely hope it is her last! This book could have been an all time best seller. Who else could write a warts and all book about his life, if not Billy Connolly's wife? It appears that there was very little research done, (the woman LIVES with Billy, for goodness sake!), and tells very little that was not already known about Billy Connolly.
Little stories that Pamela mentions regarding Billy have been mentioned on numerous occasions by the man himself on stage. ANYONE could've written this book, with the exception of Billy's childhood. All the material contained in the book can be found on the Billy Connolly videos already on sale.
I constantly got the impression that Pamela was not only writing a biography about her husband, but was also writing an autobiography. There was so much about herself which was completely unneccessary. I also thought she felt some compulsion to show the world how good a psychiatrist she is, with her constant ramblings in psycho-babble. Her name dropping became irritating as a lot of it bore no direct connection to Billy.
Another thing that concerned me is the section when she mentions "An Audience with Billy Connolly". She claims that the backdrop with the photo of the audience and the canned applause was never used - WRONG! It was used at the very beginning of the show. If this is the best Pamela Stephenson can do then it is a huge unjustice to a great man.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant reading, 19 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Billy Connolly (Hardcover)
I only purchased this book last week and I can honestly say that I could not put it down. I laughed, I had a lump in my throat and I even shed a tear or two! This book tells the story of a person who could be compared to a "phoenix out of the ashes". The tragedy of B.Conollys childhood and his incredible journey of becoming such an amazing, funny and sensitive (you won't belive it until you read the book!) human being sounds like a story dreamed up in Hollywood. All in all the book is brilliantly written by his wife and it is possibly the funniest/saddest book I have ever read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Destroyed by name dropping, 11 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Billy Connolly (Hardcover)
Interesting enough, but the man himself is supposed to be the antithesis of name dropping and being impressed by the famous. His anarchic style is what makes him great. So this book begins to unfold as a contradication; the rebel joins the establishment. Having said that, the book is hitting it high on Amazon...

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Story - Badly Written, 10 May 2003
This review is from: Billy (Paperback)
Like many people I was looking forward to reading about the great man. I left feeling somewhat disapointed. Name dropping, too many metaphores !
I feel that there truly is a great biography waiting to be written - maybe the man himself should do so !

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Billy Connolly (Hardcover)
Billy Connolly had a tough start in life, for making the best out of his life I really admire him.
Pamela Stephenson is clearly a very clever women who knows her stuff.
The book I found too like a text book, in places it felt like a list of famous people which was really quite boring. I'm not normally a fan of Biography, this book has not changed my mind, maybe it's just me but I think I prefer to keep the mystique between performer & audience. However my brother thought that it was brilliant & learnt a lot so take your pick!

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

Billy
Billy by Pamela Stephenson (Paperback - 8 July 2002)