5.0 out of 5 stars ...a book I had to read more than once...
Although in my opinion Fay Weldon's literary talent is beyond genius, and all of her books that I've read so far are well worth any accreditation they may receive, Puffball is by far the best.
Published on 24 Jan. 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars poor ending
It was a little predictable and made me feel a little agitated at points with the excusing male behavior. Would of liked the ending to be a little bit more interesting and more inspirational and empowering. Was ok to kill time, but not one I would rave about, I do usually love FW works, this one was a little disappointing.
Published on 12 Jun. 2013 by Mrs. P. Musz-Newton

5.0 out of 5 stars ...a book I had to read more than once..., 24 Jan. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Puffball (Paperback)
A readable and flowing novel, written in a simple but effective manner making use of the power of short sentences and lists. On a purely escapist level, Puffball provides a light and entertaining read.
However, those readers familiar to Weldon's work will recognise themes Weldon frequently touches on such as desire and the weakness of human nature and feminism. Set in Somerset, the influence of magic and mysticism was all too inevitable, but Puffball handles this in a subtle and convincing way, presenting a spiritual portrayal of the power of femininity, whilst still managing to introduce us to some likeable male characters I found myself truly warming to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weldon provides an enjoyable, insightful read, 9 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Puffball (Paperback)
Before I read this book, Fay Weldon was only a name to me. On beginning it, I had no preconceived notions as to whether I was supposed to find Weldon a "great writer" or a producer of "low quality pap" and I really only picked up this book because the front cover illustration amused me. After a moment's hesitation before I got into the novel, I soon decided that Fay Weldon has a distinct narrative voice and a very natural way of representing the internal fears and passions of her characters. The main character, Liffey, is an innocent initially, but the novel takes her on a journey that opens her eyes to real life and the excentricities of men and women and their relationships. Although 'Puffball' has a very low key, understated mood, Fay Weldon somehow manages to create a growing feeling of tension as the plot progresses, and the novel culminates with a surprising and almost frightening ending. An enjoyable read from an insightful writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Dark Comedy!, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Puffball (Kindle Edition)
So dark, that I had to put it down, sometimes. Human nature is shown here in so many twists! I read that Fay Weldon's son, Dan, did the screen version (Directed by Nicolas Roeg) with a different slant.
What was wrong with the original, I thought?
A supremely inventive writer, she defined the undertow of what passese for "ordinary".
And still writing!!! Good!

3.0 out of 5 stars poor ending, 12 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Puffball (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Grown-Ups' Fairytale..., 7 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Puffball (Paperback)
I have owned several copies of this book, as I make a habit of lending/giving it to people.

I'm not about to say any more about it, save that it's the best Weldon ever wrote and almost rivals Angela Carter at her most gleeful.

4.0 out of 5 stars I was generally pleased with my book, 30 April 2015
This review is from: Puffball (Paperback)
I was generally pleased with my book. It arrived promptly, which was great. However, it had a small tear on the front cover which did not appear to be in its description.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Fay Weldone, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Puffball (Paperback)
Really enjoyed it as I love Fay Weldon. However some of the descriptions were a bit too much for me; read it and you'll see what I mean...

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely rural mystery, 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Puffball (Paperback)
Lovely rural mystery with a little bit of magic cleverly woven within ....

Puffball
Puffball by Fay Weldon (Paperback - 19 Aug. 2011)