on 5 May 2006
In 106 sparsely filled pages the book covers goal settings, praising employees, and reprimanding employees. (By the way, I say sparse some of the pages only have a few words on them). Each of the three rules of the one minute manager are clearly set out as a short list of points, and there are a number of pages with nothing but a short motivational style statement like "Catch them doing something right". I'm not so keen on the goal setting rules, but the praising and reprimand rules are much more to my liking.

The ideas on the One Minute Manager are told as story that helps the reader whiz through the pages (like "Fish" ISBN: 0340819804, which is not quite as good BTW). It doesn't pretend to have lots of statistically significant data gleaned from many-man-years of research like some books. It's a simple book, with simple and useful ideas.

The book doesn't get universally great reviews. Some people find it too obvious and simple. There's a recurrent theme in the one-star reviews that - if you need this book you're an idiot. I don't agree with that at all. The rules in the One-Minute-Manager are really precise and exact, I *really* doubt these are being performed by those that suggest that any competent manager is doing this already. I know managers who like this book and managers that dislike this book, but very few - none almost - that follow its methods. There are many managers that know this stuff backwards and forwards, but just don't do it. You may know this stuff already, but do you do it, and do you do it well? This book will help you do it well.
on 27 March 2001
This book explains the management techniques in real life scenarios. It takes very little time to read and understand. Once you have implemented just one of the techniques into your daily routine you will see the benefits daily from your staff and their productivity.
VINE VOICEon 3 January 2009
I had heard of this text but came to read it after seeing it in the library. The fact that it is a short book helped draw me in.

Once I started reading it I found it hard to put down and went through it in a few hours. Many Management texts are written in a style that requires some degree of perseverance to get into, and may even require a guide to understanding some of the text itself. This one does not.

It is written in a storytelling style that makes it somewhat easier to visualise and thus easier to get the messages that the authors are conveying.

Whilst the messages are simple, this does not mean that they are redundant. On the contrary, the approaches to the positive reinforcement of staff is a lesson that many do forget 'in the real world'.

Whilst this should be seen as a stepping stone onto more complicated management theories, it is worth stopping here a while; whether as a first text, or a reminder of the basics.
on 2 January 2012
Personally I really like this style of book. I have the audiobook version and find it easy to listen to over and over again. The way lessons are told as stories tend to relate to how I can remember what happened in a film but not every point from a list.

I can understand how some people would see it as "common sense" - if that isn't just predujice - however I think it's a must read for anyone in or looking at a managerial role even for the chance that you are not using these kind of methods - as if you are not you may not be performing that well.

The little developed relationships between boss and worker would just depend entirely on the kind of business and the tips could be applied regardless. I can see all of my managers failing at at least one of these points and can entirely understand how not using them can generate negativety - because I have been in that position.

5/5 very happy with this book :D
VINE VOICEon 2 November 2009
Although after working low down in the pecking-order in most of the varied places I have worked, the last few years I find myself managing people as opposed to being managed. Former manager quote:"You are the single most difficult person I have ever managed." Book quote:"Effective managers manage themselves and the people they work with (not 'over'), so that the organization and the people profit from their presence."
Great stuff. Recognised 2000 years ago by the greatest manager: 'Therefore, whatever you wish men to do to you, you must likewise do to them..'(Mt 7:12). Anyway, although not a fan of motivational style books, this revised edition follows a simple, easy format, can be read between (or even during) business meetings, and if the principles were applied, notice the difference. I can't vouch for what happens if you apply it by the letter, I'm too lazy!
VINE VOICEon 2 November 2009
Great stuff. Recognised 2000 years ago by the greatest manager: 'Therefore, whatever you wish men to do to you, you must likewise do to them..'(Mt 7:12). Anyway, although not a fan of motivational style books, this book follows a simple, easy format, can be read between (or even during) business meetings, and if the principles were applied, notice the difference. I can't vouch for what happens if you apply it by the letter, I'm too lazy!
on 26 February 2002
Today 02/26/02 I am going to use the contents of the one minute manager to open our weekly administrative team meeting.
The book brings accross in very simple and understandable terms the thesis of achieving maximum results for your organization though people.I hope to get this accross to my colleagues today.
In a previous management assignment I saw the tangible results from using the one minute goal seeting, one minute praise and one minute reprimand. The technique is really worth trying.
This book is a must read for any one who thinks seriously about management.
on 5 January 2002
I've probably read approximately 50 books regarding self-improvement and business management, I just wish this was the first book I'd read.
It's so simple to understand, easy to read and incredibly logical. Within just one week of reading this book my company has become very efficient and staff morale has never been so high (plus mine).
If you enjoy this book, you'll love 'One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey'.
on 22 May 2012
I first encountered this book about 15 years ago and it has been an excellent source of sound management practice and advice ever since. I had a colleague once who was bothered about how to deal with a member of staff who was normally reliable but a bit of a 'jack the lad' and had difficulty in deciding how best to deal with the man. I told him how the One Minute Manager would have dealt with it - it worked a dream. And it took about 30 seconds rather than the ten minute discussion, with the man probably denying it and a resultant unsatisfactory solution. This is an invaluable management book and should be read by managers at all levels. And one excellent basic OMM rule - try to catch people doing this RIGHT, not WRONG, that makes such a great difference.

Definitely THE management book to buy.
on 26 May 2000
This easy to read book opens the door on a concept of people management hitherto unknown in the table-thumping boardrooms of Smallbusinessville. In not much more than 100 pages, Ken Blanchard shows us that getting the best out of our fellow team members is not about 'showing them who's boss', but has more to do with a system of reward and recognition designed to set goals and help people achieve those goals.
A word of warning! Reading this book may seriously change your attitudes to people management. I have already found its contents to be of real and practical help here in my own professional practice, but above all in my role as a pro-active accountant and business developer.