5.0 out of 5 stars Like Marmite.
Published on 30 Dec 2007 by L Barrington

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Trees!
I usually enjoy the jenny colgan/katie fforde type novel - quirkily and warmly themed, perfect for light reading. This book however was disastrous. I felt colgan was trying to become to 'lit' with the bizarre and unsuccessful attempt at introducing a modern day arthurian legend. She wasnt comfortable in this almost fantastical realm of fiction and the book felt muddy and...
Published on 21 July 2004 by P. Bennett

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and VERY badly researched, 19 Aug 2007
R. D. Eager "rde42" (Herne Bay, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working Wonders: She is very, very funny (Paperback)
This book looked good. It started off OK, and just became boring, culminating (if that's the right word) in a non-ending.

Not to mention the glaring blunder. I understand that the river which plays a fairly important part in the book just doesn't exist...that may be acceptable in fiction. But I understand that the author *thought* there was a river, having looked at a map. It's a blue line round Coventry - motorway. It lost all credibility.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Aug 2003
Kirsty (South Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working Wonders :
As I read Jenny Colgans previous novels such as Looking For Andrew McCarthy and really enjoyed it I relished the chance to read 'Working Wonders'. However I was disappointed by the novel, the general feel of the book was rushed and not at all gripping. The plot seemed to go off on a tangent about irrelevant matters and it kept jumping from one charcter to another. The plot centers around arthur Pendeleton who is nominated at work to put Coventry forward as European Capital of culture. This is basically all what the book is about which is why i found it dissapointing. There was no other real elements to the plot, all it centered on was Arthur and his job which was a little annoying in places. Generally ok book but disappointing in realtion to Colgans previous attempts.

1.0 out of 5 stars A good week wasted, 25 May 2004
teresa (WELLINGBOROUGH, NORTHANTS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working Wonders: She is very, very funny (Paperback)
I have been reading this book for the last week, having finished I am now wondering what I could have done instead. It was confusing from the start especially if you do not know the tale of Arthur.
I kept reading this book hoping it would get better but I now feel I should have given up after chapter 3!
I enjoyed Amanda's Wedding but felt Looking for Andrew McCarthy was a bit of a let down. This last book has confirmed by doubts and I will not be buying anything else by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Marmite., 30 Dec 2007
This review is from: Working Wonders: She is very, very funny (Paperback)
From reading the other reviews it seems that this is something of a 'Marmite' book (you either love it or hate it). this doesn't surprise me as the cover and supposed genre suggest mediocre 'chick lit' is on offer here. What you actually get is the strangest book that I have ever read. I absolutely loved it and have definitely never read anything like it. I'd recommend it to anyone but warn you not to expect anything fluffy and predictable. I can't believe that I actually enjoyed a book about town planning!

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, 29 Feb 2004
This review is from: Working Wonders: She is very, very funny (Paperback)
I loved Jenny Colgan's first three novels, and was therefore looking forward to reading "Working Wonders", but I found it a huge disappointment and struggled to finish it. The book has a promising start, but beyond the first chapter the storyline and characters become less and less believable, and I agree with the earlier review that some research into how the European City of Culture is selected would not have gone amiss. An Arthurian legend set in modern Coventry just does not work.

2.0 out of 5 stars was a bit shocked by this!!, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Working Wonders (Kindle Edition)
I actually borrowed this from a friend who had read it and asked me too so I could explain it!! I have read all Jenny's books now and by her normal standards this is quite bad! Not sure what the point of it was, it's a silly, confusing story that has no point or purpose, unless I'm missing something, but going by the other reviews it's not just me who doesn't understand what the hell is going on in this book!!! Sorry Jenny but it's just not a good read!

1.0 out of 5 stars What Can I say?, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Working Wonders (Kindle Edition)
I'm normally never beaten by a book, but I'm at page 41 and am close to defeat. I may pick it up and try again sometime, but then I may not.
I loved Amanda's Wedding and on the back of that got my hands on a few more Jenny Colgan books, this being the first one. I sincerely hope the others are better.
So far I'm confused and disappointed. Enough said!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Working Wonders: She is very, very funny (Paperback)
She's always a good read, her books are gentle, amusing and a great way to escape for a little while into another world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Working Wonders, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Working Wonders: She is very, very funny (Paperback)
I have just started reading Working Wonders and up to now it is living up to expectations, so looking forward to finishing it

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, not her best..., 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: Working Wonders: She is very, very funny (Paperback)
Stuck with it until the end just to see if it got any better, but it didn't. I normally pass my books on, but I really wouldn't want anyone else to waste their time with this one so I've put it in the re-cycle bin - so it wasn't a complete waste after all!

ARRAY(0xb3663138)

Working Wonders: She is very, very funny
Working Wonders: She is very, very funny by Jenny Colgan (Paperback - 29 July 2011)
9.76