5.0 out of 5 stars Like Marmite.
From reading the other reviews it seems that this is something of a 'Marmite' book (you either love it or hate it). this doesn't surprise me as the cover and supposed genre suggest mediocre 'chick lit' is on offer here. What you actually get is the strangest book that I have ever read. I absolutely loved it and have definitely never read anything like it. I'd...
Published on 30 Dec 2007 by L Barrington

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Trees!
Published on 21 July 2004 by P. Bennett

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Trees!, 21 July 2004
P. Bennett "ba_pip" (Monmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working Wonders (Paperback)
I usually enjoy the jenny colgan/katie fforde type novel - quirkily and warmly themed, perfect for light reading. This book however was disastrous. I felt colgan was trying to become to 'lit' with the bizarre and unsuccessful attempt at introducing a modern day arthurian legend. She wasnt comfortable in this almost fantastical realm of fiction and the book felt muddy and trapped. Give it a miss.

1.0 out of 5 stars not her best, 25 July 2006
This review is from: Working Wonders (Paperback)
At first it seemed boring, but I forced myself to continue reading it as she has written some good books, it started to get a bit interesting in a "weird book" kind of way and I thought maybe it would be worth getting to the end. Totally disappointing. The end is awful, I was utterly disgusted. I wouldn't recommend anybody to part with their hard-earned cash for this.

2.0 out of 5 stars As dull as coventry in the rain !, 13 May 2003
This review is from: Working Wonders :
This book was dreary and dull , the jokes were abysmal I'm still reeling from the "minstrels " gag .
The characters were paper thin and the plot nonsensical why bother grafting an Arthurian legend onto a tale of Town planning in Coventry ?
the only reason i gave it two stars was because it had a character called "Dave Gorman " in it
avoid
try "A year in Van Nuys " by Sandra tsing loh its much more fun than dreary ole coventry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 21 April 2003
This review is from: Working Wonders :
As a great fan of all works by Jenny Colgan I found myself severely disappointed with 'Working Wonders'. Her usual character depth is missing and the book feels like it's been written in a slapdash five minutes. Where I understand this is a new style for Ms Colgan, whereby situations are formed through conversation rather than description and the plot's hero and heroine seem to be a new and modern take on the romance of Arthurian legend, I'm afraid it doesn't work for me and I can't get past page 81!

1.0 out of 5 stars wow, 29 July 2004
This review is from: Working Wonders (Paperback)
I have never read such an awful book. The story is awful as ar ethe authurian refernces, one-dimensional (if that) characters, confused humour. I was really dissapointed as I was a big Jenny Colgan fan. This book, I'm afraid, has exposed a novice writer with a lucky break. Lets hope her editor does a bit more work on the manuscript next time. Shame on them for publishing this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely terrible, 15 Aug 2004
Emer (Waterford Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working Wonders (Paperback)
This is the worst book i have ever read. It has taken forever to finish reading and the only reason i continued to read it was just to see what it was all about. Dont waste your money or your time on this book. I found it very confusing and all over the place.

1.0 out of 5 stars contradiction, 17 Feb 2005
This review is from: Working Wonders :
I really didnt enjoy this book! Having read all her other books and having enjoyed then and found them hard to put down, i had to force myself to finish this one. It was unfunny, unclever and just really boring to read. It read like a book by an ameteur! Oh well, try it if you want, but I certainly wouldnt recommend it!!

1.0 out of 5 stars A good ad for sticking to what you know, 2 Oct 2003
This review is from: Working Wonders (Paperback)
This author didn't. For a start, does she even know where Coventry is? What it's like? That is not in fact a town? Does she know anything at all about town planning? EU procedures? Yes, it's intended to be humorous, and there's such a thing as poetic licence, but there's also such a thing as research, which Ms Colgan clearly has no truck with at all.
Apart from that, the whole story is so incredibly far-fetched as to be risible for that alone.
I liked it for about the first chapter. Then the inaccuracies start to multiply. The characters, who start out fairly likable and credible, turn into caricatures. The story goes from the fairly amusing to the completely ludicrous. Unfortunately, it stays there for the rest of the book.
If you must read it, buy it second-hand or borrow it from a library, but don't waste money buying it. I have a copy spare if anyone's interested...!

1.0 out of 5 stars Save yourself, 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: Working Wonders (Paperback)
I gave this to the charity shop (and felt guilty doing so) as I wouldn't insult any of my friends by donating it to them - this is one of the worst books I have ever had the misfortune to read - it is God awful. Spare youselves the trauma and buy something else. Anything else.

1.0 out of 5 stars confusing and boring, 18 Dec 2009
Ms. Elizabeth C. King "lala beth" (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Working Wonders (Paperback)
Now i dont mind admitting i'm a bit of a bookworm and i love chic lit books, Jenny Colgan being high up amongst my favourite authors. I've read most of her books and i've loved every single one of them, until now!
This book is ridiculous, boring, far fetched and a real chore to read. I didnt understand the whole "work psychiatrist" character and i dint understand why none of the other characters knew of her existance, it wasnt clear whether this character was imaginary and i found it all very confusing.
Jenny has obviously tried to branch out and do something different. In my opnion she didnt pull it off.
Stick to what your good at Jenny, proper chic lit books with a sprinkling of humour and a good dose of realism

Working Wonders
Working Wonders by Jenny Colgan (Paperback - 29 July 2011)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available