5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! A must read for all 80's Brat Pack fanatics.
Whatever happened to our heroes? With the exception of a few (I hear the guy out of Risky Business did OK for himself), the majority of our Brat Pack idols unfortunately seem to have disappeared without a trace. As Ellie Eversholt turns 30, she ponders why life didn't turn out quite how her heroes had made out it would in their movies. Stuck in a job she hates, living...
Published on 9 Oct 2001 by Sara Dennis (sarasinned@hotmai...

1.0 out of 5 stars Could've been a lot better
I managed to read this book the whole way through, in hope that it would get better. It had so much potential, but fell very short of what I expected. The characters were annoying, especially Big Bastard and Colin. Why were they even in it, just how old was Colin supposed to be anyway? The references to the eighties weren't even enough to save it. This book was...
Published on 20 July 2002 by Just Me

4.0 out of 5 stars great 80's references, 8 Feb 2014
love the brat pack and love chick lit, then you can't go wrong with this book.

I laughed out loud, I cried out loud great for anyone whom was in their early teens during the mid to late 80's!

A great holiday read (or a winters Saturday read curled up with a hot chocolate).

1.0 out of 5 stars An utter waste, 13 Nov 2013
I'm sorry to say, but this book was an utter waste of money and the paper it was written on.
I normally love jenny Colgan but not this time. It felt as if it was a rushed book, with no real content matter.
The story line is poor, and lacking.
Don't waste your money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as captivating as some of Jenny's other reads, 10 July 2013
I'm usually gripped to Jenny's novels however this one I struggled to get through! I found some sentences didn't make sense and the wording throughout a bit confusing at times I found myself having to read back over parts again to get sense out of it! Nonetheless a light hearted read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Holiday fluff - a bit disappointing, 6 Aug 2002
This review is from: Looking for Andrew McCarthy (Mass Market Paperback)
I've enjoyed Jenny's previous books and although I found this perfectly entertaining for a day by the swimming pool on holiday, I thought it a bit sketchy and wished that she'd taken more time to pad characters and situations out a bit more. I loved all the 80's reminiscing (why wasn't detention at school ever like the Breakfast Club?) and it's certainly readable enough, but I can't help wishing for a bit more detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 26 July 2002
This review is from: Looking for Andrew McCarthy (Mass Market Paperback)
You pick up a chicklit book and then complain it's not Salman Rushdie, what's wrong with these people? This is classic chicklit. The best I've read. Reading Looking for Andrew McCarthy reminded of that feeling you get after watching a classic episode of Friends. You're not any wiser, it hasn't changed your life, and OK the characters aren't exactly deep and meaningful, but then you've got that big smile on your face at the end, and what's wrong with that? Jenny's characters are people you'd like to be and you'd like your friends to be in a perfect world where nobody has any worries and nothing that bad really ever happens if you've got mates.
Jenny Colgan writes very funny dialogue, tells a sharp story and this book is her best so far. I defy anybody to read this book and not laugh outloud. My favourite bit was the pig sequence.

1.0 out of 5 stars An ugly sister to Amanda's Wedding, 25 Sep 2002
This review is from: Looking for Andrew McCarthy (Mass Market Paperback)
Jenny! What were you thinking? Amanda's Wedding had me enthralled for the duration of a four hour flight. I started again at the beginning when I finished! But this? This latest offering is just such a poor relation. "Looking For Andrew McCarthy" is neither a plausible nor an enjoyable story. I felt nothing but pity for all of the characters. And while I am on the subject, please, please will someone tell these Chick Lit authoresses that a token "gay mate" is not something to be used as an accessory to the life of a single girl any more. It is SO five minutes ago!
I was looking forward to a journey down memory lane - as is usual when confronted with Top of the Pops these days - it is usually at this point that one laughs at the fashion/music/antics of one's recent past... I'm afraid I couldn't find anything to laugh at as the stench of nostalgia in this book was unfortunately as overwhelming as the story was underwhelming. Anyone as desperately in need of a life as the heroine in this novel should be put out of her misery - and ours. Don't bother ... it's another one that will turn up in your dentist's waiting room in about 6 months time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy a map!, 24 Sep 2002
I have read a lot of British Chick Lit. While I truly enjoyed Jenny Colgan's earlier books, I found "Looking for Andrew McCarthy" horribly disappointing. The book is almost tolerable as a trip down memory lane, but the road trip across America is bad, bad, bad! She really should have done some basic research. I'm wondering what kind of map of the United States she owns or if she even looked at a map. For the record, there is a Kansas City Kansas as well as a Kansas City Missouri and the Indiana State Fair grounds are in the middle of the city of Indianapolis. Avoid this book and read "Amanda's Wedding".

1.0 out of 5 stars The title is the best part!, 3 Jan 2002
By A Customer
What a disappointment - having read and enjoyed both of her previous books and growing up in the 80s, I was intrigued by the title of this one. And that really proved to be the most inspiring part of the read - the title promised so much and delivered so little. Its a great premise - yes life certainly isn't what Demi, Rob, Emilio and of course Andrew lead us to expect but then again neither was this book. Peppered with a range of thinly developed characterisations (what was the point of Colin??) and scenes that read like first drafts to be fleshed out later, I was overwhelmingly disappointed by the whole experience. Like a previous reviewer, I persevered, hoping it would get better but even the ending was shallow - Andrew McCarthy deserved a better tribute!

5.0 out of 5 stars The woman is a genius, she got in my head!, 16 Oct 2001
By A Customer
I am scared, I am freaked out, this women as well as an amazing gift of good writing also has an amazing skill to read this girlies mind. There I was a few weeks ago about to hit 30 and having a crisis when I saw the book and thought YES! Andrew was a god, an icon, a 'I want him to be my hubby' to us teenage girls in the 80's. I spent the past few months thinking what is there left to life now I am 30, with 3 kids and on my second hubby, well hopefully now I have the inspiration to do something all be it without the aid of a pink dress, pink curtains and OMD playing in the background!! Well done I am now off to buy Amanda's Wedding and then search for Andrew Mc Carthy!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Why???, 14 July 2002
This review is from: Looking for Andrew McCarthy (Mass Market Paperback)
Well, I had to give this book one more star than it deserves. This is my first taste of 'chick lit' and I can definately say that following the experience of this book, I won't be returning for seconds. Unbelievable characters and unbelievable plot. Too many unnecessary references to the '80s and if we're going to get retro, then this could have come straight off the fiction page of 'Jackie'.

ARRAY(0xbab55c48)

Looking for Andrew McCarthy
Looking for Andrew McCarthy by Jenny Colgan (Mass Market Paperback - 4 July 2011)
Used & New from: 0.01