5.0 out of 5 stars Good English thriller that keeps you guessing till the end
Published on 8 April 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars The Judgement of Strangers
Very poor follow on to Trilogy 1.
Always hoping the storey would get better - it never did.

Regards, MDC.
Published on 9 Oct 2010 by The Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars Good English thriller that keeps you guessing till the end, 8 April 2001
This review is from: The Judgement of Strangers (The Roth Trilogy) (Paperback)
I have read all 3 books in the Roth Trilogy and very much enjoyed them all but this one is my favourite. It's set in the small village of Roth in Middlesex in the 1970's where David Byfield is a widowed parish priest. The course of the book sees his meeting and subsequent marriage to Vanessa, a marriage that seems to be the catalyst to a train of unsavoury events with a darker undertone, the true magnitude of which, only becomes clear at the very end. The story is well laid out and easy to follow with each character well established, not least the every present Miss Oliphant. I don't want to give too much away but the way it links to the other books in the Trilogy is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Roth Trilogy, 1 Sep 2005
This review is from: The Judgement of Strangers (The Roth Trilogy) (Paperback)
These books one volume constitute a masterpiece, unparalled.
Andrew Taylor really is the best crime writer alive, in my opinion. I like all his books.
But this really is something special.
The first book is somewhat gruesome and with hindsight I realise I have viewed it as a spring-board to the other two. I love the way that each volume is written in a different style/genre and I loved the complexity of the final volume.
I cannot recommend this trilogy too highly - I wish I could have the experience again of reading it for the first time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creeping suspence, 11 Oct 2002
This review is from: The Judgement of Strangers (The Roth Trilogy) (Paperback)
This is the last book in the Roth trilogy - the earliest book chronologically - and I really recommend reading them in the order intended. Andrew Taylor is a master of understatement, of the horror lurking just under the deceptively normal surface. These books have staid with me for a long time and I look forward to re-reading them.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Jury is still out !!!!!!!, 10 Feb 2002
This review is from: The Judgement of Strangers (The Roth Trilogy) (Paperback)
As I went through this book I thought I would award it no more than three stars. Described as a thriller and yet I was not thrilled. On the back sleeve it states "soon the murders begin" and yet two thirds of the way through the book the only murder was that of a cat and yet weeks after finishing the book I recall lots of the details and would say that I found the story strangely engaging. So it's four stars from me I will read another in the series before finally committing myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 12 Jun 2014
I have very much enjoyed this trilogy, it's something very different to what I'd normally choose but all the more interesting for it. I'd recommend it. Not easy to read but well write so actually draws you in quite easily

2.0 out of 5 stars The Judgement of Strangers, 9 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Judgement of Strangers (The Roth Trilogy) (Paperback)
Very poor follow on to Trilogy 1.
Always hoping the storey would get better - it never did.

Regards, MDC.

The Judgement of Strangers (The Roth Trilogy)
The Judgement of Strangers (The Roth Trilogy) by Andrew Taylor (Paperback - 5 Feb 2001)
5.69