4.0 out of 5 stars It's simple, easy to follow, with practical models to use.
This book is aimed at managers and coaches wanting to develop highly committed and highly competent staff, which hopefully means all managers and coaches.
Published on 27 Nov 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in its time, but has two flaws
When I first read Leadership and the One Minute Manager back in the 1980s, I loved its situational leadership model, but that was 25 years ago. Since then, two flaws have become clear.

One is that it focuses on the handling of individuals whereas leadership is more than that - it's about influencing individuals AND whole groups, sometimes very large groups,...
Published on 13 Nov 2011 by A Reader from the UK

4.0 out of 5 stars It's simple, easy to follow, with practical models to use., 27 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Leadership and the One Minute Manager (The One Minute Manager) (Paperback)
It is a short book, with a simple conversational style, and so unlike some management books it actually teaches you practical workable solutions to management and coaching problems without much effort being required. Most points are summarised every ten pages or so, on straightforward and useful flow-charts or grids, which set out how to follow what it is saying in practice.
The book covers issues like:
 The Four Basic Leadership Styles: Directing, Coaching, Supporting, and Delegating, and how to use them to best effect
 How managers sometimes engage in abdicating instead of delegating
 How to diagnose development levels in the various areas of staff work
 What leadership/management style is appropriate for the various development levels a staff member may be at...
I think the most valuable part of the book is probably the flow charts, which give you something tangible to use day to day, to help integrate the key principles as you manage and coach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy steps to understanding - managing others, 30 Nov 2001
By A Customer
As a training officer I needed a book to help me write a course on management and managing others, how to recognise different styles and how/which one to use on who and when. Well, this book answered all my questions. So well written, easy to follow and understand - this book has given me an excellent approach to my course and my company should see the results. A definate buy for any manager wishing to understand their staff more and how to get the best out of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book I keep coming back to and sharing with others, 14 Sep 2001
By A Customer
I had encountered situational leadership through my educational endeavours and was interested to learn more. I bought the book and have found it invaluable. The style of writing makes it no chore at all to read (unlike many texts). It has a pacy, cheerful style and lays down the SL approach in an interesting manner. I have found that colleagues have found the format easy to use. Practical applications include personal development planning and identification of learning activities/approaches/styles for teams and individuals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but not my style of teaching, 6 Jun 2002
By A Customer
The teaching is very helpful. I certainly have learned much, especially in areas where a suspicion is confirmed by someone so obviously knowledgable.
I really like the "upside down" approach. He breaks molds and they make sense.
The only thing I didn't like is the style of teaching. The book is told as a story; you follow a character around while she learns from the "One Minute Manager".
It may just be me... I imagine that many out there would find this book very helpful due to this method of teaching alone, so I don't want to put anyone off it unnecessarily.
I guess I wanted something a bit more academic...
Directive?
Your fellow seeker,
Jason

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic & Priceless Book, 19 Mar 2001
I read this book straight through in 2 hours. So many of the examples and illustrations related to my own personal experiences in managing people. The book is written in a clear, logical and humourish style which makes it both enjoyable and very informative and easy to understand.
The book explains with great clarity and vision the principles and the formula for Situational Leadership, I shall certainly be implementing this priceless tool in my organisation and throughout my career.
A must read for any aspiring sucessful manager, I shall be giving a copy of it to my boss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 7 Dec 2001
H. Afify (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Never before have I seen anyone explain management topics in such a simple and understandable way.
I must say that my way of thinking has changed much since I started reading this series. I am a business consultant and I have started using Blanchard's and his colleagues' ways in advising my clients. I have seen many succeed because of the application of some of these ideas.
Thank You!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most read for new supervisors, 17 Nov 2003
This is the book that I wish I had been handed when I was appointed as a Team Manager 2 years ago. Shows that leading others is not about delegating work and giving the occasional rollocking. Highly Reccomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very insightful, 5 Jan 2014
Shaun Dowdall "Shaun Dowdall" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Fantastic book and very insightful. A great read for anyone who is seeking to become a better leader or manager.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for course, 25 Aug 2010
Mrs. S. H. Holden (England) - See all my reviews
I found the style of the book a little difficult to get used to, but once I had, I thought it was simple to understand. I liked the way it used realistic examples and situations, and recapped after each scenario to make sure the message had got across. For someone just starting an introductory level course it is a useful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Management Aid Review, 20 Sep 2009
M. MASON (UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent insight & great aid for innovative reasoning as well as consolidation of well-practised strategies. Simple use of language for maximum effect.The 18 Challenges of Leadership: A Practical, Structured Way to Develop Your Leadership Talent

Leadership and the One Minute Manager (The One Minute Manager)