5.0 out of 5 stars This is my most precious book of all time, 7 Jan 2006
A. Tatton "Anna Tatton" (Leeds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shortcuts to - Bouncing Back From Heartbreak (Shortcuts series) (Paperback)
I came on this website because I wanted a second copy of the book and am sad that it seems to be out of print. My closest friend at work is just going through a break up and as far as I'm concerned this book is one of the best things to assist.
Gael Lindenfield is a star as far as I'm concerned. She is a briliant self-help author - the best I think, and this is her best book. I find other self-help books too americanised - I think the brits are slightly more pragmatic rather than idealistic so Gael's action focussed approach is really useful. For me anyway it's cultually appropriate, I find other stuff too 'happy-clappy'.
What is excellent is how Gael explains the stages you go through - 3 main stages (Preparing yourself, healing your heart and moving on), which are broken down into another 14. You are able to see where you are in each of the stages and the issues which you need to work on. For example for me Step 10 was 'reinforce your self-reliance' which was an area I knew I needed to work on.
If I had an issue with the book, it's that it's too small and too short. I have written all over mine (there isn't space for this). It's only 135 pages long and could very easily be three times that. It could be more rigourously academically supported - it has clear links with cognitive behaviour therapy which could be documented in the text- (I also found this helpful when I spilt up from my ex 4 years ago).
It could be even more pragmatic I suppose - with space to write what helps you for example or a questionnaire to pinpoint where you need to work on. (I was probably ok on step 12 'start to believe in love again' and step 12 'decide what you want' rather than self reliance, but of course everyone's different.)
There is also an excellent mind map on page 42 'Taking stock of the knock-on effects'.
Please, if you have recently split up try and get a copy of this book, and if the publishers are reading this - please reissue it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A comforting book that offers hope, 14 Jan 2002
By A Customer
Heartbreak is something that affects everyone sooner or later. When you're really down you're unlikely to have the energy to plunge into weighty self-help manuals, but "Shortcuts to bouncing back from heartbreak" is a slim volume made up of short sections with a range of tactics from quick fixes to deeper strategies. Gael Lindenfield's advice is not a list of superficial platitudes. It comes from her personal experience as well as from her renowned career as a therapist. If you apply this stuff, it works!
Anne Nicholls...

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing, 4 Jan 2012
Niamh Cameron "Mind Nutrition" (Harrogate, N. Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
For me, the book was a great soother. It's not overly written so as to prolong the healing process and is well set out, with easy to follow strategies. When searching for help with this sort of thing it is easy to pick up any book in the hope that it is the one, but with this selection I was pleased it was from one of my favourite self-help authors. I could relate to what she was writing and felt comfortable knowing I was looked after by such a prominent psychotherapist.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for moving on after a heartbreak, 20 Nov 2002
By A Customer
A good book with good advices and exercices to do when you're in pain after a heartbreak. With doing these exercices you can try to heal your pain, though it's hard, I'm not sure it works totally but it's better than doing nothing. A very good book!

Shortcuts to - Bouncing Back From Heartbreak (Shortcuts series)
Shortcuts to - Bouncing Back From Heartbreak (Shortcuts series) by Gael Lindenfield (Paperback - 14 Jan 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01