on 12 September 2000
This book is an attractive and easy to read guide on how to use Yoga to maintain a healthy back.
Yoga can offer the bad-back sufferer something that other exercise-based cures cannot. Through the simple Yoga exercises, one not only gains strength and flexibility but it also generates a good, natural and healthy posture. Trying to "learn" a good posture by reading books just doesn't work, but through Yoga, it starts to appear on it's own and has tremendous benefits for the back sufferer. You could exercise the same muscles in a 100 different ways, but there is something about the Yoga sequences that has benefit above and beyond it's constituent parts.
This book does not dwell heavily on the mystical side of Yoga which is a real attraction to a skeptic like me. The number of exercises/positions is quite limited which, again, is nice as you do not feel daunted by the process.
I would not recommend someone with an acute, painful episode to go full-on into the sequences/exercises as they may be painful but I would whole heartedly recommend it for anyone just coming out of the other side of such an episode.
on 26 March 2013
I was impressed by the almost non-existent cost of this book, because I wanted to be able to consult a variety of self help books in an effort to manage substantial pain in my back and legs. Based on yoga postures with which I was already familiar, it was accessible and interesting