5.0 out of 5 stars Simply magical
The first time I read this book, I didn't understand it. It was confusing, almost contradictory, and absolutely nothing was what it seemed - and I loved it. The multi-faceted characters were wonderfully portrayed, and it was brimming with that Diana Wynne Jones magic that pervades every one of her books. And, of course, I fancied Mordion instantly.
I'm...
Published on 14 Dec 2005 by Kim Mathieson

3.0 out of 5 stars A good yarn
I read this again as I had good memories of it from childhood. Second time around I found the plot confusing, but obviously
the atmosphere had stuck with me all these years so the author must have done something right!
Published 12 months ago by Ursula

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply magical, 14 Dec 2005
This review is from: Hexwood (Paperback)
I'm pretty sure I understand it slightly better now, but on every re-read there are quirks, plot twists and surprising realisations that I'm sure I have never seen before - certainly, it's a book that demand several readings to be appreciated fully. The non-chronological structure, rich mythological references and multiple confused identities might in any other book make for a tedious read. However with Wynne Jones's magical flair they make this tale even more full of wonder, and it sparkles even on a baffling first read.
If you simply enjoy reading a book once, or switching your brain off while you read, this isn't the book for you, but if you happen to be a fan of 'challenging' books, or love to think while you're reading, or even just enjoy rich fantasy, I would say this book is an utter must-read. This book may be more complicated than some of the others, but it is my favourite Diana Wynne Jones book, and an essential for all fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful. thought-provoking. great story-telling., 11 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Hexwood (Paperback)
I bought this book today, and have just read it straight through without stopping. It's absolutely wonderful. And it's a crime that it's only in the children's section of my local book shop, because it fits quite well up alongside many of the science fiction and fantasy classics which I have read. READ THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique, 5 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Hexwood (Paperback)
A friend of mine returned this to me, saying in a distusted voice "It's a cross between a fairy tale and something else." Well, it is like that kinda but I love it. Hexwood is always the first book that I lend to people when introducing them to diana-wynne jones. It is a highly interesting book requiring lots of attention and re-reading to get a really grip on the story. And really wholesome characters and plot, some books just make you feel empty at the end, this one definitely does not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex, head-scratching and rewarding, 15 May 2003
This review is from: Hexwood (Paperback)
A much more demanding read - but worth every moment. Nothing in Hexwood is what you think - and noone is who you think (or for that matter who they think). Keep your wits about you and you will get a lot out of this book - as with anything by the wonderful Wynne Jones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Aug 2001
This review is from: Hexwood (Paperback)
I love this book! It really captures your imagination, and the way you jump to different times, if not a little confusing, is really brilliant. If you dont like being confused then this isn't for you, Just as i thought i had go what was going on it changed again. I sat reading hexwood in a minibus while touring the rockies, i looked up at my friend was laughing at me, confused, i asked her why, she was laughing at the stupid face i had been pulling while trying to get my head around the ever changing plot. This is a fabulous read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and altogether beautiful, 1 April 2012
This review is from: Hexwood (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this for my children and, oh boy, did we all enjoy it. If you have read any Diana Wynne Jones you already know her writing is clever and altogether beautiful. We have been fans for a while and I have to read her books out loud so that we can enjoy them together. The craftsmanship in Dianne's writing is evident as her sentences roll off the tongue in a way that makes us all hang on each chapter desperate to know what is going on and what wonderful journey she is taking us on. This is an unusual book in structure but stick with it - everything makes sense in the end and sooner if you follow the clues. It is a satisfying read and enough of a brain teaser to keep even adult readers guessing. Although it is a complex book and you don't really know what is going on at the beginning you enjoy getting to know the characters and there are subtle payoffs sprinkled throughout the whole story. Reading some children's books is a chore but I open the first page of a Diana Wynne Jones book with the same eager expectation as my young listeners.

5.0 out of 5 stars A literary jigsaw puzzle, 11 April 2011
This review is from: Hexwood (Paperback)
The events of this book are told out of sequence, and yet they are laid out in chronological order. Sounds odd? This is a decidedly odd book, in a fascinating and absorbing way.

Early in the story we meet Ann, a teenager recovering from a long illness. Bored of lying in bed, Ann adjusts her bedroom mirror so she can see the goings-on at the Hexwood Farm Estate opposite her street. And the goings-on are very strange indeed. All manner of peculiar people go in - and none of them come out. As soon as Ann is feeling better, she goes to investigate.

She finds that Hexwood is much bigger than it ought to be, and nothing there is as it appears to be either. She makes regular visits to 'Hume' (short for 'Human'), a boy who was created from blood and magic. She is also fascinated by the mysterious Mordion, a powerful but melancholy wizard whose real identity is unclear.

The events within the wood are generated by a mysterious machine known as 'the Bannus' - the best generator of role-playing games imaginable. Nobody is ever as they seem - or even who they believe themselves to be. Nothing happens quite when it ought to. But this elaborate charade is quite necessary in order to overthrow the ruthless 'Reigner' organisation, who have controlled Earth and every other world for a thousand years.

Reading this book is like doing a literary jigsaw puzzle. All the pieces are there, but it's intriguingly hard to figure out how they fit together. Plot twists and surprising revelations come thick and fast as the book nears its end. I was riveted by it and read it in a single day. Truly original and highly recommended for any reader who enjoys the strange, weird, imaginative tales with a twist of mystery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Switch your brain on for this one!, 18 Feb 2007
This review is from: Hexwood (Paperback)
This is the first DWJ book I've read, and I really enjoyed it. Very intelligently written, with quite a surreal feel to it - the action doesn't always take place chronologically, and people keep changing identities so you're always one step behind...! Overall though, a stimulating and challenging read. Female protagonist, but has enough male characters that a boy would enjoy it. I shall track down the Chrestomanci books now - I feel that I have been rather lax in not reading Wynne Jones before now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hexwood, 3 May 2006
P. J. Rice (London, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hexwood (Paperback)
This is a very confusing book! the time in the story leaps about so you hardly ever really know whats going on. this is one of the books strong points, because it always keeps you guessing. typically, with Diana Wynne Jones, nothing is as it seems, and no one is who they think they are. the storyline is quite similar to howls moving castle, and castle in the air in that way.

Other than that, this book is totally original, you won't find anything else quite like it. some people have said that this book is quite difficult because of the way the time changes and such, but its not really, its still a childrens book and it all works itself out in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 24 Nov 2011
This review is from: Hexwood (Paperback)
Sitting down to read a Diana Wynne Jones book is like absorbing a soothing balm. It's a delicious story full of meat and romance (did you fall in love with Mordian or what?)! Plus it's definitely healing to read it. Diana also puts in great messages and her story telling technique is a fantastic hypnotic healing induction. Wow. I'm already reading it again! Fabulous stuff.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa718e4e0)

Hexwood
Hexwood by Diana Wynne Jones (Paperback - 6 Nov 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01