5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!, 21 Feb 1999
This review is from: Eight Days of Luke (Paperback)
I'm completely addicted to Diana Wynne Jones but was scared to read Eight Days because I didn't want to ruin her reputation in my opinion. When i actually got to reading it I swear I could not put it down. I read it over and over and over until I'd almost memorized it. If you are familiar with Diana Wynne Jones, you should definitely read this. It ranks way up there with Dogsbody, Charmed Life and Witch Week.

4.0 out of 5 stars An unusual story, worth reading more than once., 8 Dec 2000
This review is from: Eight Days of Luke (Paperback)
This book works on two levels. If you just want to read a book about a young misfit and his attempts to help his enigmatic friend, you won't be disappointed. But if you know anything about Norse mythology, you will have great fun spotting all the disguised characters!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful read, 6 Nov 2006
This review is from: Eight Days of Luke (Paperback)
As a lover of Diana Wynne Jones books I read this one and loved it and set it amongst my favourites.

Based upon Nordic legend- she creates a relatively normal boy befriending Loki, a fire demon who he has released from the underworld to bring life to his decrepit family of hyperchondriacs.

A wonderful read from a brilliantly immaginative mind ( as are all DWJ books) You might have read Harry potter books- in my mind DWJ writes from the heart and has far more imagination. Every book is uniquely different.

I read three of the many JK.Rowling books and was bored because Diana Wynnes Jones creates a magic that is unique in every single book. DWJ worlds are wonderful inventions. Start with A Charmed life for the younger members of the family- continue with Witch Week, and aspire to Fire and hemlock. Read Dogsbodyt, eight days of luke, and Black Maria.

Read Spellcoats- and Archer's goon. Enter new worlds and new realities and you will also find that she is far superior to other writers of fantasy. You probably know Howl's moving castle from the movie. This is another favourite story from her pen. I love all her books and if I had my way she would be better known than many other writers of lesser works.

Both 8 days of Luke and Archer's goon have been televised for children in the past. Read and enjoy- these books are well written and beautiful stories. Enter new worlds and soak up the magic

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different from this great author!, 12 July 2012
Jack M (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eight Days of Luke (Paperback)
This is another enchanting book from a truly talented author who knew how to create quite magical stories out of what on the surface can seem everyday circumstances. Certainly not as well known as the "Howl's Moving Castle" books, this is nonetheless DWJ at her best; she allows the story to unfold at a near perfect pace and so reveals the layers (and there are a few) in a way that keeps one hooked. The way she conjures up images and paints a picture for the reader is wonderful, a pleasure to read and hard to put down. Another gem from an author whose work I have come to love, I am only grateful that she has left such a legacy of books for us to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best, 30 May 2008
D. M. Roberts (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eight Days of Luke (Paperback)
I expect Diana Wynne Jones is tired of being compared with J. K. Rowling, though it is true one would find them on the same shelf. I'm a long-time adult fan of hers, having discovered her from my children. She shares with E. Nesbit the virtue of writing books which are enjoyable for, and re-readable, by, adults .I have just re-read this book, which I think it is one of her best. Earlier reviewers have told enough about the plot, I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eight days of Luke, 26 Feb 2014
Yet another masterful blend of realism and fantasy. David lives with his dreadful relatives who are so awful they are truly monstrously funny. The illness game made me laugh out loud as it reminded me of at least one relative and quite a few acquaintances. Under pinning the tale is the myths of the old Norse religions that come with their own whiff of treachery. and sadness.
A great read that all will enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastical, 6 Sep 2013
Cathy (Yorks, England) - See all my reviews
There isn't a book that I don't love by the wonderful and much missed Diana - but 'Luke' will always be special because it was the first one I ever read. Just got it on Kindle so that I don't damage my old, tatty paperback version anymore. This is not just for children - it's better than most 'adult' books I've ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fond memory indeed, 19 May 2009
Owzat (Cyberspace) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eight Days of Luke (Paperback)
This is a book that has stuck in my memory from when I read it as a child. It is quite unusual for me to remember books with such fondness, this ranking in my memory alongside "The Enchanted Wood", "Fantastic Mr Fox", "The Boy Who Wanted A Dog", "The Treasure Hunters" and The Malory Towers series. I've tried many searches on the internet to find out what this book was called, only when I remembered a few of the character names did I manage to find the title from among the seeming millions of references to Norse mythology.

I don't recall a lot of books from my childhood, one or two more gems probably lurk in the back of my memory with a bit more effort required to recall enough information to find them, but I highly recommend all of the titles I've listed as well as "Eight Days Of Luke". If you haven't ever read them, or if you have and don't remember them, I would read them again. Like the films I saw as a child, but haven't been able to get hold of - "The Masters Of Time" for instance - they are worth tracking down and getting hold of if possible. I have quite a collection of videos that haven't been on TV for many years, classics that are head and shoulders above the repeated rubbish you see on TV.

I'm off to see if I can track down the titles and author of the science fiction set of books I remember from childhood and would have included had I found them already!

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as Potter, 29 Dec 2001
This review is from: Eight Days of Luke (Paperback)
All Diana Wynne JOnes books are worth reading, and this is no exception. Although it isn't her best, Eight Days of Luke is a good story and very well written, perhaps a bit shorter than I would like. If you like Harry Potter and the Hobbit, then this book fills in the gap left by the long awaited 5th Harry Potter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 7 April 2012
This review is from: Eight Days of Luke (Paperback)
It's more demanding than a lot of contemporary children's books - it took my son a while to get into it, but after a few chapters he was hooked. Luke is a brilliant creation, even more so when you start to realise who he really is (I recommend reading up on the Norse gods first for maximum enjoyment!) There is a lot about it that reminded me of the first Harry Potter (it predates it by some margin, so I wonder if it was one JKR read as a child) especially the dreadful relations the main character has to live with, and their total dislike of him. It's certainly easily as good if not better than HP, and will appeal to those who like the same mix of magic and ordinary life. Very highly recommended!

Eight Days of Luke
Eight Days of Luke by Diana Wynne Jones (Paperback - 6 Jan 2011)
4.79