5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful read
some books just have magic. I loved this one- far more exciting than Harry Potter which just seems repetitive! I love the insects that are made large and ooe through doorways gathering up their giant legs.

Cat and his sister Gwendoline are the main characters in this wonderful novel about Chrestomanci- ( a civil servant in magic)

Gwendoline is not...
Published on 6 Nov 2006 by tiggycat

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
very pleased with the purchase
Published 1 hour ago by Geraldine Doherty

5.0 out of 5 stars a wonderful read, 6 Nov 2006

Gwendoline is not what you would desire in a sister, but she gets sent elsewhere and a nice character from a different parallell world replaces her. Cat has nine lives - already his horrible sister has stolen some of them.A magical story from a great imagination, this is a must for children who love fantasy and magic.

As an adult, it appeals to me very much too. Read, enjoy and delight in a fantastic world of DWJ- a far more gifted writer of unique stories than the creator of Harry potter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 19 Dec 2000
This review is from: Charmed Life (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 1) (Paperback)
I first picked this book up because it looked interesting and I love magical stories. I had read 'Witch Week' by Diana Wynne Jones which was enjoyable but slightly confusing, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this book. However once I got into it I could not put it down again. It is well written, interesting and witty and has extremely realistic characters. I would recommend this to children or adults and especially to any Harry Potter fans as all 5 'Chrestomanci' books are absolutely brilliant and are almost as good as Harry Potter. Please buy this book now and get lost in the Pure Magic of it as it is one of the best books you'll ever read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant addictive book!!!, 23 July 2003
Lizzy Daws (Lincolnshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charmed Life (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 1) (Paperback)
I first started reading this book because I had read 'Witch Week' and started to get addicted to it. When I got 'Charmed Life' I couldn't put it down it is brilliant!
I've read it so much the pages are going black and falling out!
Great book for Harry Potter, Hobbit and magical-fanasty fans!!
I got sort of stumped when there weren't any more books in the 'Chrestomanci Chronicles'!
But don't stop (I didn't) I read others by Diana there just as good and addictive.
Diana I think is better then J.K. Rowling who's books only keep you reading because you want to know the answers and the end though Diana Wynne jones's keep you reading because of the brilliance of it and make you wish there is more of it when you get to the end.
This book is my fav of the lot I've read (and I've read alot)!!!
So BUY IT NOW!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charmed Life is a fantastic book, 9 Feb 2001
By A Customer
I have loved this book as a child and having recently reread it I still think is it wonderful. Gwendolyn is a wonderful villian and Cat is a reluctant hero but he comes good when it counts. I did not releasise Diana Wynne Jones wrote many other books but having read then lately they are all wonderful. I especially liked the Magicians of Caprona another in the Chrestomanci series.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books ever written, 23 Mar 2002
This review is from: Charmed Life (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 1) (Paperback)
This book is the first in a series of four, and personally, I think this one is the best. With an amazing and clever storyline, you never know what will quite happen next! It is the story of Cat and his sister Gwendolyn, 2 young orphans taken in by the mysterious Chrestomanci, which leads them into their life of wonderful and unpredictable adventures. An Excellent book for any age to read, gets the imagination going - well done Diana Wynne Jones!

4.0 out of 5 stars A children's book that adults will enjoy, 9 Jun 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Charmed Life (Paperback)
As one of Diana Wynne Jones' Chrestomanci books, Charmed Life is merely very good - by other standards it is excellent. The book presents a different and more down to earth view of magic than most children's fantasy, and so has less of a fairy tale feel than you might expect from a book about witches and enchanters.
The plot is twisty and quick enough to keep adults entertained, and will absolutely enthrall children. Well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant addictive book!!!, 23 July 2003
Lizzy Daws (Lincolnshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charmed Life (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 1) (Paperback)
I've read it so much the pages are going black and falling out!
Great book for Harry Potter, Hobbit and magical-fanasty fans!!
Diana's books keep you reading because of the brilliance of it and make you wish there is more of it when you get to the end.
This book is my fav of the lot I've read (and I've read alot)!!!
So BUY IT NOW!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scarey,mysterious and unpredictable all in one, amazing!, 10 Dec 2000
This review is from: Charmed Life (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 1) (Paperback)
Diana Wynne Jones obviosly writes fantastic books,Charmed life the best of them all. Why read Harry Potter and Narnia when you can read about Cat and Gwendolynn's adventures in Chrestomanci Castle? This book should win all the major book awards in my opinion and alot of other peoples opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 8 May 2000
This review is from: Charmed Life (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 1) (Paperback)
Don't judge this book by its ugly new cover. I first read CHARMED LIFE when I was a mere 7 years old, 18 years ago. I have been rereading it every two or three years since, and rediscovering bits to it I hadn't remembered from the last time around. This is a brilliant, witty, unexpected, endearing, interesting, fun, exciting, scary, fascinating, hilarious book, and once you've finished reading it, you'll want to rush off and read everything else ever written by Diana Wynne Jones. Don't just stick to Chrestomanci. Try ARCHER'S GOON. Or THE HOMEWARD BOUNDERS. Or HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE. Do yourself a favor - stop wasting time reading my review and hurry up and get yourself a copy of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charmed Life is so amazingly unpredictable. It's brilliant!, 21 Jan 2001
By A Customer
Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones is absolutely brilliant.It is about a boy called Eric Chant (More commonly known as Cat) and his sister Gwendolen who seems to be a very powerful witch , while Cat just seems normal. When their parents drown they go to live with Mrs Sharp who sends Gwendolen to magic lessons with Mr Nostrum. Suddenly they go to live at Chrestomanci castle because Chrstomanci orders them to for no apparant reason(A Chrestomanci is a nine lifed enchanter.) Gwendowlen seems to be the powerful witch but Chrestomanci and his family detest her but everything is not how it seems! Does Cat really know no magic or is he really the powerful one? I would recommend this book to anyone from the age of 9 to 100. I would also recommend 'The Lives of Christopher Chant' by Diana Wynne Jones. That is also an fascinating book.

Charmed Life (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 1)
Charmed Life (The Chrestomanci Series, Book 1) by Diana Wynne Jones (Paperback - 7 Mar 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01