5.0 out of 5 stars The one with the Baked Alaska story!, 4 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Paddington Goes To Town (Paperback)
I loved Paddington as a child and have been reading the stories again with my little girl recently. I had forgotten how funny they were - this book contains the story that was my personal favourite as a child; the one where Paddington tries to cook Baked Alaska and gives it a completely new twist! Absolutely hilarious!

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I remember., 11 Jun. 2009
C. A. Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paddington Goes To Town (Paperback)
Very much enjoying sharing the Paddington series with my 10 year old. They are as good as I remember from my childhood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light and amusing children's book, 6 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Paddington Goes To Town (Paperback)
I loved the Paddington books, as a child. My imagination was captured by these stories of the orphaned bear found in a London railway station, who makes his home with the Brown family and their housekeeper Mrs Bird. Each book consists of a series of stories about the small bear, who gets himself into difficult situations, often due to misunderstandings or over-enthusiasm.

This book is eighth in the series but it's not necessary to have read any others. This one begins with Paddington being an usher at a friend’s wedding, rather to his family’s surprise. Further chapters see him trying to play golf, being mistaken for a foreign doctor, helping his best friend Mr Gruber to finish touch on his patio, and going carol singing. The stories are light but amusing; written for children of perhaps eight to ten years old, they’re not condescending and never use ‘simple’ language.

This would make an ideal bedtime read-aloud for any child from the age of about five and upwards. It appeals to both boys and girls, and if the conversation and events seem dated at times, they could provide a good starting point for discussions about life in the 1960s for an upper-middle class English family.

Four and a half stars, really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming, 20 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Paddington Goes To Town (Paperback)
I bought this book and others in the series for my 9 year old son. He's severely dyslexic and has only recently begun to enjoy reading. These stories are funny and the characters are all very likeable. It's completely harmless with nothing offensive, written in a similar style to Enid Blyton. My son and I both love this Paddington series. He also enjoyed watching episodes from the original tv series.

5.0 out of 5 stars My childhood returns!, 9 Jan. 2013
Brilliant! Just Brilliant! The Paddington series were the first stories I remember at infant school. I purchased these as the have the original, and best, illustrations by Peggy Fortnum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paddington at work, 14 April 2015
really enjoyed it gripping stuff .kept me on the edge of my seat can't Waite to read the next book love what he gets upto.

5.0 out of 5 stars The marmalade eating bear rules!, 21 Aug. 2014
M. J. Wright (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paddington Goes To Town (Paperback)
Who can resist reading these out to your children?

5.0 out of 5 stars As described, 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Paddington Goes To Town (Paperback)
Item and delivery as described

Paddington Goes To Town
Paddington Goes To Town by Michael Bond (Paperback - 27 Mar. 2014)