Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 May 2011
Dear Olly is an exciting but sad story about a teenager called Olly and her brother called Matt. I liked this book because it held my attention because of the wonderful descriptions. The story itself was good, why? because I really felt the emotions of the characters and liked that part of it was set in Africa. The length of the book was just right and I was overjoyed that it included animals. I recommend this book for all ages.
on 1 April 2011
This blog shows a book report on the Michael Morpurgo book dear Olly. I bought this book off of amazon.co.uk. It came in days and I started to read it as soon as I got the great book. The book is about a sister and a brother and a mother. Their father died when the brother was young. The boy is watching TV one night and it comes up showing an orphanage in Africa. It shows the children covered in flies and bugs. The brother was so upset he told his sister that he was going to Africa to be a clown. He wanted to cheer all the sad kids up. It is an amazing book I recommend it to both children and adults. I have been on amazon lately and ordered 3 more Michael Morpurgo books. I can't wait to read them. 5 stars for dear Olly, great book!!!
on 25 August 2010
My 9 year old read this in two evenings - throughly enjoyed and a mega Michael Morpurgo fan.
I recommend to any child over 7 - (Mum you will need the tissues), my son took it in his stride, whilst I used the kleenex.
on 13 July 2012
"A sentimental, tear jerking thriller in a mist of heart-warming atmosphere!"

Fantastic! The Michael Morpurgo books never fail to impress but this passionate tale is one beyond imagination. It ushers amazing ideas into every day reactions and one-off situations.

Olly, an intellectual teenager, faces an extraordinary hardship; her brother chooses to decamp in Africa and leave her alone with her comforting mother and nosy, `over-understanding' relatives. Encouraged only by his treasured letters, choking phone-calls and never-ending love; she carries on Matt's autumn ritual of feeding, housing and seeing out Matt's beloved swallows. And this is where the hero comes in! But I'll leave you to write that chapter review.

This moving, stirring, 3-movement book is a definite 5 star winner.

By Natalie
on 4 January 2010
Dear Olly took me 2 days to read. I liked how it was written in 3 movements, and incorporating the swallow, Hero into it was very imaginative. I am used to more action paced books. I found this sweet how such a real matter of starvation and poverty and orphans in Africa can be written in such a child-friendly format. I learnt a lot from this book and it certainly made me reflect on how lucky I am to have family when there are some people who don't. Thanks for giving us such a nice book to read, Mr Morpurgo!
on 4 August 2011
a book for my daughter who loves these books, she never put this book down she said it was sad at the end, wouldnt tell me why said i had to read it!
on 9 March 2012
The story is cleverly written and easy to read.
The author handles the matter of orphans and starvation in Africa. The main character is Matt who gave up college and put himself in danger to help orphans and make them happy. This story sends a message to children that it is important to help and care for those in need.

The story has lots of descriptions especially the second part which resembles a scene from a wildlife television program. The story is sad and the dialogue is kept to the minimum. I would have liked the story to have a happier ending and Matt get a better reward especially that it is written for children. Therefore, I would recommend it for 10 years old and over.

LA
on 21 February 2014
Dear Olly is a book split into 3 different stories.

The first is Olly's story. She talks about her brother Matt going off to Africa to become a clown, then she talks about her swallow she nursed called Hero.

The second is Hero's story. He is the bird Olly nursed. He talks about leaving Olly and his best and flying to Africa, and his troubles along the way.

The third is Matt's story. He is Olly's big brother and he talks about what he is doing in Africa and returning home.

This book is worth reading, however it is not very challenging, it took new 2 hours with of solid reading. I am 13 years old and I actually found this read quite easy.

I recommend this book to ages 9+, defiantly worth the money paid.

Really happy with this! :D
on 4 July 2009
As usual I read the book before I gave it to my grandchild! Loved it. Michael Morpurgo introduces young people to difficult subjects with sensitivity, whilst respecting their intelligence and age related understanding.
on 3 May 2014
I love this book! It has sad moments in it but I don't mind them! I think the boy made the right decision to go to Africa and be a clown and entertain all the poor, unhappy kids! This book is moving and touched my heart! I wanted the book to go on forever! The only thing that annoyed was that the book was quite short! There were tense moments in the book and moments that made me stop and think! I rate this book 9·5/10 and recommend it to 7-12 years! This book had so much meaning and I think you should definitely put it on your wish list!