5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Favourite books!!!
I liked the book because when I read a chapter I always want to read more to get to the exciting bit.The best part of the book was when Bertie meets the white lion because I know how it feels when you haven't seen a friend for several years.

This is one of the best books I have ever read and I can't wait to read other Michael Morpurgo books.

I would...
Published on 4 Nov. 2006 by Katrina Miller aged8

2.0 out of 5 stars Pitched at wrong age group
Bought for an 8 year old but the child didn't really understand the concepts. Would have been better appreciated when he was older. However, if your child is a good reader and bright, then he may understand and enjoy it. This is true of llots of Morpurgo's books.
Published on 20 Feb. 2013 by amazon lover

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my Favourite books!!!, 4 Nov. 2006
This review is from: The Butterfly Lion (Paperback)

I would recommend this book to anyone from age 7 onwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars b-b-b-b-b-b-brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 3 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The Butterfly Lion (Paperback)
Michael Morpurgo, my favourite author, wrote this touching book full of both tears of joy and of sorrow. It is full of laughter, grief and a few escapes from boring boarding school. Another good quality of this book is that it is like Michael Morpurgo is recounting this event but I don't think this actually happened, (but I wish it had).
This book is definitely one of my favourite books, one down from my all time favourite, (which most probably will never be replaced), `Little Foxes'. It will enchant anyone, adult or child, who pick it up; they will be unable to put it down until the very end of this book, it certainly happened with me! I would rate it, as you can probably guess, 10/ 10 because Morpurgo you have once again fascinated me with one of your unique and clever tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Year 4 Literacy group couldn't wait for the next chapter, 29 Sept. 2001
This review is from: The Butterfly Lion (Paperback)
I have just read The Butterfly Lion to my Literacy group in Year 4.
They gasped and sniffed in all the right places. One boy said he thought the story was over in the middle section and had wondered that night how the story could move through the remaining pages.
They sat in silence to hear the story everyday. I would certainly recommend it to other teachers as it can be enjoyed by children of all abilities. Adults will also enjoy the themes and the story itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fall in love with the Butterfly Lion., 29 Sept. 2011
Puzzle crazy (Walsall, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Butterfly Lion (Paperback)
The book is 128 pages long, and the print is relatively large, so it took me less than an hour to read the whole book. The short chapters make it easy for children to tackle by themselves in smaller chunks, although they will be keen to find out what happens next in the story and older ones will likely finish it all in one sitting. The book also contains some hauntingly beautiful illustrations, which seem to really capture the emotions and spirit of the story being told, enhancing it further and really making it come alive.

The story itself is cleverly told in a "story within a story" style. At the beginning of our tale, the author tells us about when he was a young boy, running away from school after a particularly unpleasant experience with a school bully. Seeking a place to hide, he turns into a garden of a large house, only to be spotted by an elderly woman and her dog. After the initial feelings of apprehension, the boy relaxes as the sweet, lonely old lady invites him inside for some scones and tea. I absolutely love the way that the author uses descriptive writing to draw the reader into the story, perfectly recreating the sights and smells in each scene. As the boy sits with the old lady he glances out of the window and believes that he can make out the shape of a lion on the hillside. The lady explains to the boy that he is not imagining things. The lion is real - the butterfly lion, and was part of a story that goes back to when her late husband was a young boy in Africa.

The old lady then takes over the role of storyteller, as we learn about her husband young Bertie, who finds an orphaned white lion cub and together with his mother, takes care of it and nurses it to health. As the cub gets bigger though, the family wonder how they will be able to keep it, and the lion is sent to live in the circus, whereas the boy is sent to boarding school in England. The boy vows that one day he will be reunited with his friend, but with such a great distance betwen them, as well as a war on the horizon, will this really be possible?

The story deals with many themes, such as love, friendship and loss in a sensitive way that even young children can handle and understand. It does not shy away from harder issues, such as the realities of war, but does not present them in an overly graphic or upsetting way. In fact quite the contrary, the story is very uplifting. I really like the way that this story flowed, although I wish that it had been longer, as everything seemed to happen very fast. I can understand why the book was that length though, so as not to overwhelm younger readers, and I do think that for that audience, the book was an appropriate length.

The only part of the story that I wasn't too keen on was the ending. It was quite ambiguous and I wasn't really sure what the author was trying to imply. He was obviously trying to add a twist to the tale, but it left me with more questions that answers, and I feel that it didn't quite fit with the rest of the book.

Despite the ending, I really did enjoy the book. The characters were likeable, and the boys would be easy for readers to relate to. Bertie was a really likeable character with his kind, loving nature, and loyalty to his lion friend. This is the first book that I have read by this author, and will be definitely reading more of his work. This is a magical heartwarwing story and I'm sure that kids will read it more than once.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful twist at the end., 26 Mar. 2000
This review is from: The Butterfly Lion (Paperback)
I read this book to myself and couldn't put it down. You are drawn into the story being told and although you may predict what is going to happen there is always a surprise awaiting you. It is able to capture both adult and children's imaginations and leaves you in a sense of wonder. My own nine year old twins just wouldn't let me stop reading and each night the next installment was greeted with great enthusiasm. It will make you cry, laugh and think.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTLY BRILL, GRIPPING AND GREAT!, 14 Dec. 2005
This review is from: The Butterfly Lion (Paperback)
when i picked up this book i didn't have a clue who michael morpurgo was but when i read this book it told me that he is a fantastic author! The story of which brilliant and exciting,every little bit left you wanting to read more. Becasue i could not put the book down i finshed it in one day and read till half past 11 at night!It was absolulty brilliant and i hope you would enjoy it as much as i did!

5.0 out of 5 stars magical, 15 Feb. 2007
J. B. Bowley "Jo" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Butterfly Lion (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book. I bought it for my ten year old cousin and then, thinking that maybe it would be a bit dull and I should have chosen something else, got it out the library to read it for myself. Having become hooked and finishing the book the same night I started it, I know now it was a excellent choice.

[...]

There is so much in this book. It is beautifully written and contains a satisfying twist which I certainly never saw coming. Sometimes the ending of a book leaves you feeling let down or sad because you wish that you were still reading it but this book left me on a high thinking "Wow, this book is seriously good..."

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book for adults and children, 23 Feb. 2001
This review is from: The Butterfly Lion (Paperback)
As with many great childrens books, this novel has an equal appeal for young and old alike. Its scope is wide and it reminds me in many ways of Sebastian Faulks 'Birdsong'. An unhappy schoolboy runs away and encounters an old lady who tells him her remarkable life story. Her husband, brought up in Africa, came to England at the same time as his pet white lion was sent to a circus in France. Always hoping to find the lion he eventually comes across him again after he is wounded fighting in the first world war trenches. With themes of relationships and love, any reader can identify with these wonderful characters. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Michael Morpurgo books I've read!, 5 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Butterfly Lion (Paperback)
This book made me cry a lot but it did have a very happy ending. It's one of the best books he has written and made me want to read more of his books. The saddest bit in the book was when Bertie fired a shot into the sky to make the white lion run away, to stop the magnificent lion getting locked in a cage. My best bit was when the little boy saw the big white lion on the hill! The ending was a real surprise, but I won't spoil it. There is a lion on a hill near where I live, and whenever I see it I think of this story. You should read this book too. Millie, aged 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Story, 9 Jan. 2010
Mrs. Ishbel Macaulay "molly" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Butterfly Lion (Paperback)
I bought this book for my nine year old granddaughter after she had read Kensukes Kingdom from the school library. She enjoyed this book very much and had read parts of it to me explaining the story as we went along. This is what she has to say about The Butterfly Lion.

I read a lot of books but Michael Morpurgo is my favorite author. I have read some of his books already like Why the Whales came and Adolphus Tips. Michael is good at using his imagination thats why I like his books but out of all the books he's written The Butterfly lion is the best. The book is sad in some parts but not too sad. The book is about a boy who skips shcool and goes to an old womens house and the old women tells a story about a young boy. I think this book is brilliant for children like me.

The Butterfly Lion
The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo (Paperback - 1996)