Format: PaperbackChange

on 28 April 2001
This book is a very interesting read. I really enjoyed the book and read it cover to cover in less than a week, which is very quick for me. It is about a teenage boy who lives to dive. He has known all his life that he was adopted as a baby, but now as he is older, he feels incomplete and wants to find out where he comes from. The only clue he has to finding his mother is an ammonite (the snake stone) and a torn piece of paper with half an address on. James lies to his parents and sets off an epic adventure to find who he really is. The book is well worth reading and if you come from around the midlands I would reccommend it even more. From the first page I felt it was gripping, it is a book which I am definately glad I have read.
on 3 March 2011
I plucked this one from the bookshelf recently having not decided upon a longer book to get my teeth into. I am very glad I did.

This is a really lovely, heart rending, at times sad and with little bits of really tongue in cheek humour that can make you laugh out loud. it is a short book that can easily be finished within a few days or one sitting.

James is adopted, this has never been a secret kept from him and he is happy at home with Mum and Dad. However, he does really want to know who his biological mum is and sets out to find out. He is also an up and coming champion diver and the description and technical data relating to this part of the story is accurate. The adventure he sets out on to try to discover his Mum's identity is well crafted and makes the book difficult to put down.

The writing is concise and flows well. I couldn't find anything to fault in this book and would recommend it to all ages although it is aimed at the young teen market. I will be reading more books from this Author.
on 31 August 2015
I had to buy this for my son's English coursework. It took ages to work out which one is the play and which the novel, and even now I'm not sure we've got the right one. Nonetheless he's using it for his assignments. It's not exactly a fun book as the focus is a teenager coming to terms with adult issues.
on 9 February 2010
Heart rending story of an adopted child's journey to find his birth mother and through this understand himself. This understanding comes in a very different way from just knowing his back story. Aimed at teen market, this book is a good read for adults too.
on 16 March 2013
We read this book at school (year 8) anxious the whole class have really enjoyed it. I am taking as on of those pupils . It is easy to read and there is a sense of adventure fromthe moment you pick it up. A must read.
on 21 May 2011
A good little story this, recommended to me and claimed to be true but after reading it I don't believe it to be biography but, nice non the less
on 30 April 2013
good fast and correct will use again

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3
on 26 November 2000
This is a book about a boy called James who is adopted. He has always known that he was adopted and he has always been free to ask anything. But lately James starts thinking about his real mother. He becomes so obsessed by finding out who she is that he thinks a woman at a diving competition(he is a champion diver) is her and so completely wrecks the dive he is about to perform. He finds a bit of paper which was given him by his real mother and this sets him on the trail of his real family. It shows half of an address which James believes to be his mothers. While pretending to go diving training in London he sets off to find his mother. It all becomes quite predictable and boring and isn't really the kind of book that you couldn't put down. It deals with the feelings of James mostly but you can't make a great book out of just feelings and no strong storyline.