5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb
This classic book is a staunch favourite in our house and has been for years! The drawings are fabulous, the storyline builds to a wonderful climax and the little twist at the end is just delicious. It is simply one of the best books for young children and I have never yet met one who didn't love it once they had met it!
Some books make you sigh when your child...
Published on 2 Jun 2005 by C. Chambers

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle users beware
Published 7 months ago by A M Garrod

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb, 2 Jun 2005
C. Chambers (Shenfield, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Tiger Who Came to Tea (Collins picture lions) (Paperback)
Some books make you sigh when your child asks for it yet again, but this one never does. It is always a pleasure to read for both the parent and the child and I heartily commend it to you as an excellent addition to your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILL BOOK, 1 May 2008
One day, there was a knock at the door of Sophie's house, just as she and her mummy were going to have tea, but the milkman had already come and it was not the day for the boy from the grocer; it could not be daddy because he was coming home a little bit later and he had his keys. Who was the mysterious being at the door? Find out in this book...

This book is wonderful: the illustrations are vivid and bright; the vocabulary range is good for children aged from 4 - 7 and the story line is delightful. It is a truly superb book.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book with my brother (who enjoyed it as well) and would rate it, for myself and on behalf of my brother, 10/ 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars The kids love the naughtiness of the tiger!, 18 Nov 2001
By A Customer
Both our kids think this book is wonderful. Our daughter, now 5, is a bit old for it now,but adored it at age 2. Our 2 year old son now wants it read to him every night (several times ideally!), and loves to hear about the naughty tiger, and now knows most of it off by heart!
The illustrations, although dated, are very colourful and fun, and remind me of books I had when I was little - a bit of nostalgia!
A very highly recommended book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The family loves this book, 1 Mar 2002
By A Customer
I never read this book as a child but my 10 month old daughter loves it. There was a chap dressed in a tiger suit at a fair a few weeks ago and she became so excited when I told her that it was the tiger who came to tea. For the next week at least, no other book would do. The illustrations are bold and have real affection. The tiger has great personality. The story holds attention to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic not to be missed!, 2 Sep 2006
I. Boulton "~margot~" (UK) - See all my reviews
I loved this book as a child, and it would be just worth keeping now I'm in my teens just to bring back the memories of those first few years of me being able to read!

I would definitely recommend for any mum who has a toddler - read it to them and I doubt they'd forget it even when they're 30! =P

4.0 out of 5 stars A hit with most 5 year olds, 24 Jun 2004
By A Customer
I have just read this book with my year 1 class (ages 5 and 6). They were very keen to share some of their responses on this website.
Reece wrote: This story is about Sophie and her Mummy. The book is excellent and I loved it. When you read it you will never believe how good it is. Children from 3 to 7 would enjoy it.
Yvonne wrote: This book is for children from 4 to 9. The illustrations are fantastic. The story is about a young girl, her mother and a tiger who comes to tea! I would recommend the book because the pictures are fantastic and colourful. Make sure you read it to the end because it is fantastic!
Kango wrote: I would recommend this story because the drawings of the tiger were very good. I loved the text because it was funny and exciting.
Isabelle wrote: This book has lots of little details in the pictures. I liked the part where the tiger comes into the house. It's a little bit scary!
However Tibo felt that the dramatic potential of the story wasn't fully realised. He wrote: I recommend this book because of the good pictures but I expected a tiger would make the story a little more adventurous.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected visitor comes to tea with Sophie and her mummy, 12 Sep 2004
and eats rather more than his fair share!

As a result, the evening routine is compromised!

Oh dear!
But... don't worry - all is well at the end!

From the back cover:-

'The doorbell rings just as Sophie and her mummy are sitting down to tea.
Who could it possibly be?
What they certainly don't expect to see at the door is a big furry, stripy tiger!'

'The multi-million selling picture book no childhood should be without.'

Durable board covers open to 28 high quality shiny pages in the popular 2-page spread format.
Simply SUPERB illustrations, from Ms Kerr and this super read-with-me story is further enhanced by meaningful facial expressions.

Clear easy-to-follow text.

Example of text:-

'Once there was a little girl called Sophie, and she was having tea with her mummy in the kitchen.
Suddenly there was a ring at the door.

Sophie's mummy said,
"I wonder who that can be.
It can't be the milkman because he came this morning.
And it can't be the boy from the grocer because this isn't the day he comes.
And it can't be Daddy because he's got his key.

We'd better open the door and see."..........'

On the doorstep is a big, furry, stripy tiger.......who is terribly polite. And as he asks so nicely...........if he can have tea with Sophie and her mummy..... the latter agrees.

So the tiger comes into the kitchen and sits down at the table......but he is a VERY hungry tiger.........and a very thirsty one, too....as we find out as the pages turn!

A repeat element on the quantity the friendly tiger eats promotes that all important eagerness for the younger listener to join in with, giving lots of scope for interaction.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic that is loved by each generation!, 14 July 2007
I loved this book as a child. I remember having it read to me at school when I was very young, so it was one of the first on my list to buy when I had children. They love it too! The story is simple. A tiger turns up unexpectedly at the door and eats Sophie and her mummy out of house and home! Daddy comes home, there is no tea so they go to a cafe and have sausages. A lovely length for a bedtime story. Recommended!

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle users beware, 17 Nov 2013
I actually enjoy the story very much, and my younger daughter was keen to read it having had a wonderful themed week in school based on the story. HOWEVER, as some other reviewers have stated, this book has not been properly adapted for kindle, and the pictures are cut in half, ruining the story! They also appear to be stretched strangely out of shape! What a waste of 3 pounds. I feel a refund should be in order.

Amazon, perhaps reviews should be more specific to the format of book purchased, rather than all reviews appearing together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cant put a good book down, 10 Feb 2008
Mrs. Lynn Tulloch "barbie t" (grangemouth, scotland) - See all my reviews
My mum bought this book for me roundabout 30yrs ago. I now read it to my son & he enjoys it too.

I still enjoy the book even now!!

The Tiger Who Came to Tea (Collins picture lions)
The Tiger Who Came to Tea (Collins picture lions) by Judith Kerr (Paperback - 6 April 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01