on 8 August 2009
Phoebe and the Hot Water Bottles is a wonderful story of a plucky young girls desire for a "real" puppy. The illustrations are lovely, especially the dipiction of Phoebe's growing hot water bottle collection! It also touches on the theme of a working dad raising a child on his own.
I had this book as a child & would love a copy to read with my own daugter. It totally engages with childhood feelings of excitment surrounding puppies, but also portrays the young girl as the strong heroine of the story. Imaginative, touching & very lovely. I miss this book!
on 26 December 2011
This was the first book I can remember reading alone and the only one I can can remember that I really enjoyed. I wish I still had my copy! I Would love another copy of the book for my book mad kids.If you mamage to get a copy, keep hold of it, it is a brilliant story about a girl who wanted a puppy but got hotwater bottles.
on 22 November 2002
Phoebie Burbabee's live with her dad above his chemists shop. All she wants is a puppy bue evry birthday, christmas and wens ever she's been especially good she gets another hot water bottle.
One of my favorites as a child and still love it now. I can even see the pictures in my head now!!
on 30 August 2012
This is my favourite childhood book. I'd read it over and over again. I was fascinated by the bright and detailed illustrations, which are still so lovely and striking today. I loved all of Phoebe's different hotwater bottle characters, being a girl with several different hotwater bottles myself! Though I never took mine to the swimming pool! I love the idea that Phoebe proves how responsible she can be and that patience is worth while.
on 9 January 2016
I grew up with this story, my dads cousin is Linda Dawson. We all love the story of Phoebe and now have a Phoebe in our family too, she has her very own copy. It is lovely to see that it is a much loved story, a shame that people are charging so much to let others have the same fun reading it to their children.
on 5 September 2009
I had this book as a child and loved it. I'm going to get it for my little people too.
on 7 January 2015
Excellent condition
on 22 December 2011
This is a nice and slightly surreal story, but I found I was really unhappy with the way it deals with fire safety. It's not unusual for a children's book to have people doing silly things, but in this one the characters and situations are all described and drawn in a realistic way and the response of Phoebe to a fire is exactly the opposite of what you want your child to do if they discover a fire, which feels quite dangerous to me.

I suppose it's useful in that it's led to my little boy learning about what to do in the event of a fire a bit earlier than I might have imagined. However, he finds it very confusing when he sees what's happening in the story and how Phoebe is rewarded, whilst I'm explaining how she's been very silly. I've resorted to adding a little bit of extra story (what you don't see in the book is the bit where Phoebe goes out of the house to find a grown-up, who then calls the fire brigade, and it's actually the firemen who put out the fire) but I'm not sure how we'll tackle the issue once he's old enough to read and realises I've been making that bit up!

I'm also not keen on the idea that all Phoebe wants is a puppy, and at no point is any regard given to the fact that after a short while it will be a full grown dog. Still, I suppose these are the types of issues so often encountered when revisiting children's books from decades ago.
55 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse