5.0 out of 5 stars great stories and good science
I love this book.
It is a fascinating insight into how the human body copes with extremes of heat and cold, heights and depths, etc. Frances AShcroft explains how our biology copes with these extremes.
Published on 30 Oct 2001

1.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating subject made hard work of
As a scientist who spends a great deal of time at altitude and in the cold I had been wanting to read this book for a long time. Now that I am reading it, my interest in the subject will keep me going to the end, but will require almost super-human effort. This really is 'reading at the extremes'.
Maybe it's the fault of the editor and not the author. However the...
Published on 17 May 2005 by Michelle

5.0 out of 5 stars great stories and good science, 30 Oct 2001
I love this book.
And it is not just the biology. The book is full of little stories. There are stories that make me squirm, and say "Stop! Don't tell me any more!" And then I just have to read the next one. And there are other stories that cause me to wonder, like the scientists who carry out experiments on themselves, experiments that lead to all sorts of suffering.
The great thing is this: while I am reading all these stories about life at the extremes, I am also absorbing a lot of basic information about how our bodies work normally, almost without realising I am learning. I was talking to someone about this book, and I started to rabbit away about what happens in an aircraft if it suffers explosive decompression - I was surprised at what I was able to tell my pals.
This book is full of wee stories, gruesome, outrageous, fascinating, inspiring.
It is a brilliant source of tales to tell in the pub.
It is very informative about human physiology, and also history.
To Paul and Shula who gave me this book for my birthday - thanks indeed. Its great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable read; clear reasons for stressful situations, 1 Sep 2000
This review is from: Life at the Extremes (Hardcover)
Fascinating examples of stressful situations in which humans may find themselves, with the physiological explanation presented in a highly accessible fashion. Extremely well-written, very much for both non-scientists and scientists, but particularly useful for the sportsman or woman who would like to know why their body reacts as it does to a range of conditions such as high or low pressure, excess or paucity of oxygen, extreme heat or cold, and so on. Great fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating stuff for the non-scientist, 29 Aug 2000
This review is from: Life at the Extremes (Hardcover)
As I read this book I realised how much fascinating stuff I didn't know about our environment.And the great beauty of Frances Ashcroft's book is that she makes it all accessible to the ordinary reader,with exciting stories and lucid explanations that the non-scientist can understand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect - Good Read, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Life at the Extremes (Hardcover)
A purchase for my University course with particular highlight to adaptive physiology. A great read and not too hard a read either. You are able to learn about altitude and other earthly extreme without feeling like you're being taught, more that you're just reading a nice book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Life at the Extremes (Paperback)
This book is very easy to read with great explanations and references. You will learn a lot about nature and technology alike.
It would deserve a larger format and better quality pictures then it would get 6 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life at extremes, 28 Oct 2013
This review is from: Life at the Extremes (Paperback)
Very happy with this book, was quick delivery and is a very interesting read. Will really help me with my uni module thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Geeky interesting, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Life at the Extremes (Hardcover)
A great book in very readable chapters. A great deal of information, well written. I have now bough 3 to share with friends and family

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Life at the Extremes (Paperback)
Basing this review on what my little scientist sister told me - she said it was amazing, interesting and a great read. After reading it she couldn't stop talking about it with me, she was really excited by the stories and science in the book. That's always a good sign of a good book! Bought it for her as a graduation present with the idea that it could be a symbol/motivational tool for her. The author is an amazing female role model for young girls and women who are training/studying/working in the sciences and I know my sister could one day be in that role for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, readable, scary, 29 Jun 2012
H. Hulme "helenieh" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life at the Extremes (Hardcover)
What happens to your body when it is subjected to temperatures or pressures far, or even only just, outside the narrow margins of those in everyday life? Nasty stuff! If you deep sea dive with an abscess in your tooth, it could implode, ouch - or choose to go ballooning, and it could explode instead, lovely! If those oxygen masks do drop from the ceiling above, how many seconds have you got left to put the mask on? What happens when you spend too long bathing in a hotspring? When you've miraculously survived a long and unexpected dip in the sea, please don't drop dead when you get out because of the pressure change on your legs, lie down! Fascinating, well written, explains aspects of circulation, hormones, breathing, what happens at extremes and why, and full of good anecdotes and history of exploration and science. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars good science read, 16 Jun 2012
This review is from: Life at the Extremes (Paperback)
Really interesting read even for those not a great science fan.

Some parts require thinking but the book takes you straight through each topic explaining in a very logical manner.

ARRAY(0xaed8fb28)

Life at the Extremes
Life at the Extremes by Frances Ashcroft (Paperback - 2 July 2001)
7.49