5.0 out of 5 stars well worth reading
Published on 16 Sep 2008 by OK

1.0 out of 5 stars A terrible state
I have never received a second hand book in such bad condition. Front cover was cup stained (easy to wipe clean).Inside the book was ash and badly stained with tea or coffee. Most charity shops would have thrown it away. Disgusting!
Published 15 months ago by Karen Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars well worth reading, 16 Sep 2008
What is there not to like about this book, it combines two of the best things in life, food and sex and it does it in an interesting way telling some bizarre stories. I enjoyed reading this book, the only bad thing when I read it was I was very sick and got sick if I even drank water, I felt the hunger when I read it but I couldn't stop. As a result of this book I have read more of Isabel Allende's books and magical realism too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A feast for the senses, 15 May 2001
This review is from: Aphrodite (Paperback)
Food, Sex, Isabel Allende, if you love any or all of the above then this is a must have! From the first page the author welcomes you in like an old friend, she then leads you thru. history, literature and her personal loves and life and leaves you feeling titilated and hungrey for more! Keep it in the kitchen or by your bed but definatly have it within easy reach!

5.0 out of 5 stars Light-hearted but literary thoughts on foods and senses, 9 Oct 2001
Mi-Ok Chu (Seoul, Korea (South)) - See all my reviews
I find this book not uncommon in terms of subject. However, I find it quite unique and valuable in the way the perspective about senses is developed throughout the book. The author says it is a journey into her memory of senses. And I think it was a nice and delicious journey that enlightened me in senses.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feast of Pleasures!, 21 Feb 2011
Mr. E. W. Palmer (York UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aphrodite (Paperback)
This writer was my inspiration, following the death of my wife, and I have read all but one of her books. The use of language, the understated humour and the possibilites that the recipes, included in the book, are a delight. As a keen (and competent cook), I am looking forward to "having a go", not for the aphrodisiac potential, because at 73, with mild prostate cancer, I might be wasting my time and effort. However, one never knows!!!
Everyone should read this author's books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure aphrodisiac material, 11 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Aphrodite (Hardcover)
One word simply describes Aliende's latest : Aphrodisiac. This is not only in reference to the recipes of the book but also to the way she writes .Her stories of her life , the myth are all belnd marvelously put together and the result is a bible of what Aliende calls "The love of food and the food of love". Definetely for those who see food as more that a biological need.

4.0 out of 5 stars sexy recipes & romantic remedies, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Aphrodite (Paperback)
Very enjoyable and fun read containing poems and anecdotes and recipes from all over the world.
A book that aims to breathe humour and enjoyment back into relationships - through food.
Recipes to reconcilliate, mend , attract and put fire in your belly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Food and sensuality in a wonderous mix!, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Aphrodite (Paperback)
The cover of this edition of the book is very misleading (there are other editions) - Allende brings to life the sensuality of food through anecdotes, recipes, personal stories and pictures - although some of the food suggestions may not be to your taste. A wonderful book that you can just open up anywhere and delve straight into. Not a new book but an essential on any serious foodie's bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Life, 28 Aug 2012
This review is from: Aphrodite (Paperback)
I love Allende - for any fan of her fiction, and memoirs, this celebration of life, love and cooking is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Nov 2014
Friend in Greece loves it. Reached her for her Birthday

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best reads you will ever have, lively, fun., 3 Mar 2010
This review is from: Aphrodite (Paperback)
Since the opening words, is gripping.
Love, sex, food, all mixed with smazing stories that the author collected from her family and friends.
Veru well written, a delight from top to bottom

Aphrodite
Aphrodite by Isabel Allende (Paperback - 19 July 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01