Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 August 2001
The one quality expected of a book on the life of any influential architect is a collection of useful and illuminating images of their work. This book is sadly deficient in this area with too few images of Gaudi's achievements and too many black and white photos among them. Having spent time in Barcelona, I was dismayed by this oversight as Gaudi truly was an architect of texture and form. Voluminous illustrations are absolutely required. Presumably the decision to limit photographic images was based on cost rather than aesthetic criteria. That being noted it is a fine scholarly work and delves into the myriad contractory paths pursued by Gaudi on his way to devout asetic Catholicism. Read this book in conjunction with the Taschen edition on Gaudi to get a rounded grasp of the man, his life and his work.
on 2 August 2012
I really love the city of Barcelona and Gaudi's influence is everywhere. I bought a short biography of Gaudi from the gift shop at La Sagrada Familia and thoroughly enjoyed it which made me want to read more. This book is overloaded with Catalan names, places, phrases etc. and for someone who only understands a little Spanish it was 'too much information' and for me it detracted from the story. I found it hard to get into and gave up after a few chapters and the book is now in the pile for the charity shop. I do not normally 'give up' on books so easily but this was hard work. However I am not put off and will search out another Gaudi biography in the near future.
on 12 January 2013
This really helped me get a better understanding of Gaudi and his works and how he went about creating his masterpieces as well as dealing with crisis'.