Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 September 1999
Fuzzy logic is an important new branch of science which will have an increasing effect on all of our lives. Ben Kosko spoils what could have been a fascinating study of subject by spending too much time talking about Buddhist philosophy, criticising academic establishments for not funding his research and branding other branches of science as fundamentally flawed because they have not needed to use his beloved fuzzy logic.
When he finally gets round to it, he explains the basics of fuzzy logic clearly. The examples of fuzzy controls systems that he discusses are well suited to illustrate the basics of the subject but are too trivial to be the only detailed examples given. A discussion of more complex systems would have been welcome.
If you only have time to read one book about fuzzy logic forget this one.
on 6 February 2014
A great introduction and explanation of fuzzy logic. I also love the mental image of the hot tub in the avocado grove where the author meditates on maths and fuzzy thinking. If I gain my Masters, maybe I can have a hot tub in an avocado grove too. :)
on 14 January 2002
Until I encountered this book I had know idea what fuzzy logic was. I believe the book has been written, primarily, for those who have little or know knowledge of fuzzy logic.
I found the book to be fascinating and stimulating introduction and I would recommend it to anyone who is ignorant of the subject. I would also recommend to those who have an interest in philosophy, Buddhism and science.
When I read the book it caused dramatic paradigm shifts and it altered my who view of the world. I am no expert on the subject of fuzzy logic, so I cannot comfortably recommend it to any one who has any more than a vaguest notion of this fascinating subject, since it is unlikely they will find it as stimulating and enlightening as I.
on 26 February 2013
Read this many years ago, misplaced it and have just reread it. Simple ideas that get much more fun when applied to society and government. Enjoy.
on 18 November 2013
Good value compared to the amount of important information in the book. One of best book on this subject at the moment.
on 26 April 2001
I enjoyed this book not because it was a very precise description of fuzzy logic but because it gives an insiders view of how science works. I am afraid that the backstabbing and irrational maligning that the author describes actually does take place, and it definately hinders the search for the truth. Most of the other reviewers seem to demand a very precise account. If you want that read a journal paper, however reading one man's rant can be enlightening. The gossip and bitching is part and parcel of science and this book contributes to this in no small way.
on 7 January 2000
Islands of useful semantic content float in a sea of complaints. Ommmm.
When a Zen student goes around shouting about how Zen aware he is, one says that he 'Stinks of Zen'. Well, Bart stinks of fuzzy logic. I suppose there is a fine line between relating the struggle for acceptance that fuzzy logic has gone through in an interesting way and coming across as a moaning minnie.
If you can get through the navel gazing, there is a good introduction to fuzzy logic which is a fascinating and useful subject well worthy of study.
on 5 September 1999
Kosko tries to champion a form of thinking, but does so in a way that itself is vague, and displaying little understanding of issues surrounding MVL. More fun reading a fuzzy logic textbook.