5.0 out of 5 stars I�m sorry she waited until 69
Published on 6 Dec 2002 by taking a rest

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather dated and old-fashioned.
Published 3 months ago by Woodland Lou

5.0 out of 5 stars I�m sorry she waited until 69, 6 Dec 2002
taking a rest - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Golden Child (Paperback)
This lady was truly an amazing writer. She started her career at the age of 69, and happily she produced a good-sized body of work even after what many would consider a late start. "The Golden Child" is the third work of hers that I have read. It's a wonderful book, as I have yet to read anything other than great writing from her pen, but it is as different from the other two, as they are from each other.

"The Bookshop" was quite serious, "The Blue Flower", a wonderful historically set piece during the period of Goethe's Germany, and now this work which demonstrates her unconstrained wit. She still includes subtle bits of humor, but much is laugh out loud funny. Granted some is a bit dark, but as another reviewer mentioned, it is very "English" as in, "oh...that, well yes, bullet wound you see, no bother, terribly sorry about the carpet". That line is not specifically in the book, but I hope it gives an idea of the fun within "The Golden Child".

The story is populated with great characters; including two of the best curmudgeons I have enjoyed reading. At one point she goes well out on to a limb with a performance by one of the Museum's top executives, who is called upon to "lecture" about that which he knows little of. The performance approaches Monty Python lke humor.

A third book, and a third great read. I look forward to seeing how many other genres she must have handled so well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun if slightly odd, 6 April 2014
This review is from: The Golden Child (Kindle Edition)
Amusing and quirky. it did rather slip gently away at the end but was a good easy read for an evening read

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Golden Child (Kindle Edition)
And excellent read with very real characters, really wanted her to triumph and have a happy ending.
So much injustice !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Golden Child (Kindle Edition)
I am a fan of Penelope Fitzgerald and this didn't disappoint. Took a couple of chapters to get into but very funny. A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars elaborate plot, 1 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Golden Child (Kindle Edition)
this book was fascinating not another egyptian tale but a little look inside the lives of the museum employees and the intricate balance between showing the artefacts, genuine or otherwise ,to the public.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather dated and old-fashioned., 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Golden Child (Paperback)
Having read this writer's obituary and how she didn't get the recognition she deserved, I thought that I would enjoy this book much more. Written for her husband who was ill, the central characters are all male and the peripheral female characters are poorly drawn and critically so; I doubt whether Penelope liked other women much. That really spoiled it for me as did the rather laborious style. It was her first book so perhaps I will reserve judgement until I have read more.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Golden Child, 14 May 2011
This review is from: The Golden Child (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book. I found it easy to read,although there was rather a slow start. I wanted to read to the end,to find out what happened.

ARRAY(0xa2756450)

The Golden Child
The Golden Child by Penelope Fitzgerald (Paperback - 24 April 2014)
8.99