5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry in motion.
Published on 18 Feb. 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for anyone who likes action.
I read this for a college Novels course, and found it very average. The novel was a little confusing, being that it switched from narrator-to-narrator, and as well, there seemed to be very little driving the story. I was dissapointed by the lack of rhyme or reason behind the story, and found it, in general, bland.
Published on 19 May 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetry in motion., 18 Feb. 1999
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
When I used Love Medicine in a university level English Literature course I thought I'd hit gold for getting my students to open up to literature with Erdrich's book. Lipsha's quest for identity connected with the young men and women alike. But Tracks was even more efective. Fleur's fight against the loggers and land developers turned 32 college sophmores into hardy land conservationists. The incredible transportating of a successful hunt with the meat tied to the hero's body struck a cord of awe at having been given a view of survival that took them beyond their trips to their local grocery stores. Erdrich opens windows to another culture, different values, and to history in ways that made my students begin to "see" the world beyond their dormrooms. What other author writing today can do the same with such poetry?

5.0 out of 5 stars great from beginning to end!, 4 July 2009
C. Ostrer "snow" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
She is such an unusual writer, and her use of language is beautiful. I really see her characters and their life clearly. This book is great. the first sentence 'we started dieing before the snow, and like the snow, we continued to fall.' she depicts the heritage and the present of the First Nation Objiwe with awful clarity, but whilst keeping dignity in her characters. and the female roles are always so strong. Erdrich must soon come to be realised as a writer that has greatness in her

4.0 out of 5 stars Loss and survival, 3 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
Chippewa Fleur Pillager is central to this tale of loss: a lifestyle lost through the influence of government and religion, allotted land lost on the reservation, and lost family structures and loyalties. But also a tale of survival and endurance with a cast of fascinating characters, not least wily Nanapush and duplicious Margaret. Humourous, evocative and wonderfully descriptive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
as described and on time

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Sept. 2014
All good thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars "I think she is a poet...", 15 April 2000
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
Accually, I have only one thing to say and that is about her way of using the language - it is simple and beautiful and proves her to be an outstanding poet of words.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for anyone who likes action., 19 May 1999
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)

1.0 out of 5 stars Remote characters, flat style, nothing of interest here, 12 Jun. 1999
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
With few exceptions this book was plodding and lifeless. Although I found certain passages (very brief) moving and angered me (in terms of white greed) I found this book failed at dealing with effectively the subject matter it purports to address.

1.0 out of 5 stars Probably should have liked it, 7 April 1999
This review is from: Tracks (Paperback)
OK, I read this for an English class. Worse yet, I had to write a paper on it. Toughest paper I ever wrote because I could not stay awake. I don't even remember the book that well (4 years). Got to admit though, some of the other folks in my class ranted and raved, as did the other reviews. C'est la vie!

Tracks
Tracks by Louise Erdrich (Paperback - 31 July 2009)