5.0 out of 5 stars Scientists are still playing 'catch up' to the mystics.
Quote from book - "I also hope to find among my readers many physicists with an interest in the philosophical aspects of physics, who have not come in contact with the religious philosophies of the East. They will find that Eastern Mysticism provides a consistent and beautiful philosophical framework which can accommodate our most advanced theories of the physical...
Published on 7 July 2006 by David Langley

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to read this again after 30 years
This book was a passion for me when I read it as a young Physics graduate with an interest in alternative religions. I bought this to find out if the I shared the same passion. It is an interesting book and worth reading but I do not feel the fascination I felt at the time.
Published 2 months ago by tonydunn

5.0 out of 5 stars A Huge Influence, 26 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Tao of Physics (Flamingo) (Paperback)
I bought this book back in 1985 and must say that the information within it, being new to me at that time, blew me away. It informed and impacted so much upon my view of the world that it has remained one of the most influential books in my life; a stepping stone to so many other threads. More than twenty years on, its contents may be 'old news' as the subjects have become popularised and the masses have been introduced to them via many programmes on the TV. Even so, I expect that for those still yet to discover its wealth of information, it will prove to be equally enthrawling, although it can be heavy going at times. For the price, can you afford NOT to read it? It might change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars unbelieveible, excellent, marvellous , ..., 16 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This book thought me that there is an another point of view to our life. We should learn it if we are interested in real life. Life is not only the living. My life has changed after this book.
Thank you dear Mr. F.Capra.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 July 2014
S. Piggott (UK) - See all my reviews
Good read, thought provoking

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Tao of Physics (Flamingo) (Paperback)
Still getting to grips with this mind-blowing stuff. I absolutely love this work, dense, informed and spiritual. What more could you ask

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting to read this again after 30 years, 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Tao of Physics (Flamingo) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking book that draws irresistable comparisons between modern scientific knowledge and eastern teachings., 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Tao of Physics (Flamingo) (Paperback)
This book came as a revelation when I read it many years ago. I had always been interested in science and the eastern teachings of enlightenment from my teenage years. Upon reading this book, I realised that I had been looking at the same thing from two directions.

Fritjof Capra thoroughly knows both the subjects covered and is, therefore, able to give those who are intrigued by philosophy and physics a great insight into the similarity of thought between the two.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Tao of Physics, 12 Jan 2012
J. Nicholson "juannic" (Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tao of Physics (Flamingo) (Paperback)
Fascinating book; confirming the wisdom of ancient civilization; humbling the arogance of modern ascertion. A condensed and in-depth summary of a cross section of major eastern mystic tradtitions and of modern physics, put in a compelling and easily understoon manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The quantum and mystical words agree, 29 Nov 2010
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Tao of Physics (Flamingo) (Paperback)
The Tao of Physics: An exploration of the parallels between modern physics and Eastern mysticism, by Fritjof Capra, Wildwood House, UK, 1975; Fontana, 1983, 384 ff.

The quantum and mystical worlds agree
By Howard Jones

Fritjof Capra is a physicist who was teaching at University of California at Berkeley when this book was written. He is now Director of the Center for Ecoliteracy there and a visiting lecturer at the Schumacher College in England. This was his first book and it was one of the first to open up the New Age philosophy. It challenges the conventional wisdom of both materialist science and western religion by demonstrating striking parallels between ancient mystical traditions that are still practiced in the East and the discoveries of 20th century quantum physics. The congruence between Buddhism and quantum physics has been pointed out by His Holiness The 14th Dalai Lama in The Universe in a Single Atom and elsewhere.

In this book, Capra first introduces us to some of the strange ideas of quantum physics: that fundamental particles of the atom are more energy than matter; that there is constant exchange between the two kinds of properties; that atomic particles know no constraints of time or space on their behaviour.

The second section of the book takes us through Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism and Zen, emphasizing their holistic, monistic world view - that everything is connected and interacts with everything else: just like the atomic particles Capra's been describing in the earlier section.

In the third and final section Capra draws together ideas from these separate worlds of science and religion. When we are confronted with fundamentalist western religion, this eastern mystical philosophy has so much to tell us, especially when it resonates with rather than contradicts the world-view of science.

You won't need to be a scientist or a mystic to appreciate this book - just open-minded.

Dr Howard A. Jones is the author of The Thoughtful Guide to God (2006) and The Tao of Holism (2008), both published by O Books of Winchester, UK.

The Universe in a Single Atom: How Science and Spirituality Can Serve Our WorldSelf-Aware Universe: How Consciousness Creates the Material World

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that changed my life., 14 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Tao of Physics (Flamingo) (Paperback)
Although I was far with my medical background from quantum physics as well as from mysticism I took this book, firstly, for the amusing reading. Secondly, after some chapters it has not been like that already, but rather something that may prove to be very important for my future and that I need to understand and to make opinion about. It was quite a task, need to say. This book finally brought about the new thinking that has guided me to the path helping to deal with difficulties and to solve problems. Several years of journey along this way has passed and I realize that payoff of all those efforts can be enormous and I am grateful indeed the author for the book that drastically changed my vision of the life and my fate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Parallels are not equivalents., 4 July 2007
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Tao of Physics (Flamingo) (Paperback)
There are many solid books on connections and continuity in history and religion and physics. However Jacob Bronowski, "The Ascent of Man", would turn me over in my grave if he found out that I was reading such books as this. There are too many quasi science quasi religion books that want to take some principle and reinterpret it to be a New age truth or prove the some old blind philosopher beat us too it for example (The Seat of the Soul.) Dr. Capra is drawing parallels in two fields and not trying to say "see I told you so". He takes the time and pages to describe the science and also does a pretty good job of distilling complex religions down to single chapters. I leave it up to Dr. Capra and you to determine if there really is any parallel. A parallel does not mean equivalents. If you are a Gary Zukav sort of person this book will not help you at all.

The Tao of Physics (Flamingo)
The Tao of Physics (Flamingo) by Fritjof Capra (Paperback - 20 Feb 1992)
6.99