on 18 November 2004
This book weaves a magical spell over the reader who is fascinated by both science and mysticism. It covers both in great depth and detail. The essential teachings of Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism and Zen are carefully distilled and the unifying principles of these paths are identified. The one characteristic all these '-isms' share is the awareness of unity of the connectedness of the whole. Capra compares and contrasts classical and modern physics while integrating the mystical truths as discovered in these religions. It is a daunting undertaking but he succeeds with aplomb! The close parallels between Eastern mysticism and modern physics (quantum physics) is amazing - each approaches reality from a different starting point but arrives at the same place. Capra writes about the cosmic dance of particle, energy, and consciousness - highly complex topics, in a very readable manner. He touches upon Geoffrey Chew's S-matrix theory (bootstrap philosophy) and Bohm's theory of Implicate Order. He calls the paradigm shift we are experiencing "a crisis of perception" from which all problems in the world arise. The manner in which scientific ideas are interspersed with mystical concepts is truly astonishing! Fritjof Capra manages to precipitate the essential kernal of truth from apparent divergent viewpoints ...This is a great book for anyone exploring the relationship of the rational scientific view and mysticism, i.e., the spiritual journey. This is a very valuable book for the modern world. Erika Borsos (bakonyvilla)
I can understand why this enlightening book achieved cult status as it is an excellent exposition of some real correspondences that had probably never before been pointed out. Having known very little on the physics side, it has certainly taught me a lot and I am sure these parallels will become even more obvious with advances in the studey of quantum physics. Tao was a great pleasure to read as the author takes pains to be clear and understandable, and the book is lavishly illustrated with plates and drawings. I fround the section on the I Ching hexagrams of particular interest. Dana Zohar's The Quantum Self is a good choice to read at the same time, whilst "Tao" also further stimulated my interest in sacred geometry
on 26 June 2015
This is an outstanding! book. It is non-too complicated nor overly-simplified so that every reader can gain an insight into physics and the Eastern non-scientific view of life, with an explanation of universal forces and laws such as unity of opposites. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!
VINE VOICEon 25 December 2000
Jacob Bronowski, "The Ascent of Man", would turn me over in my grave if he found out that I was reading such books as this. There are too many quasi science quasi religion books that want to take some principle and reinterpret it to be a New age truth or prove the some old blind philosopher beat us too it for example (The Seat of the Soul.) Dr. Capra is drawing parallels in two fields and not trying to say "see I told you so". He takes the time and pages to describe the science and also does a pretty good job of distilling complex religions down to single chapters. I leave it up to Dr. Capra and you to determine if there really is any parallel. If you are a Gary Zukav sort of person this book will not help you at all.
on 7 March 2016
Amazing work. Everyone should own a copy . . . . and read it !!
VINE VOICEon 22 May 2010
There are many solid books on connections and continuity in history and religion and physics. However, Jacob Bronowski, "The Ascent of Man", would turn me over in my grave if he found out that I was reading such books as this. There are too many quasi science quasi religion books that want to take some principle and reinterpret it to be a New age truth or prove the some old blind philosopher beat us too it for example (The Seat of the Soul.)

Dr. Capra is drawing parallels in two fields and not trying to say, "See I told you so". He takes the time and pages to describe the science and does a good job of distilling complex religions down to single chapters. I leave it up to Dr. Capra and you to determine if there really is any parallel. A parallel does not mean equivalents. If you are a Gary Zukav sort of person, this book will not help you at all.
on 9 April 2015
Needed for course. Ok I guess....