5.0 out of 5 stars Finding your Tao
Published on 2 Jun. 2005 by Daniel Faux

1.0 out of 5 stars date of publication
Turning Point (Flamingo)Be aware that this book is a republication of a 1983 edition by Flamingo and therefore the economics and world state as put forward by Capra may have been good at that time but are now seriously out of date. Unless you are interested in comparing what he thought and what has happened in the intervening decades I would look elsewhere.
Published 15 months ago by empty

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding your Tao, 2 Jun. 2005
Daniel Faux "Someone" (Glos. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Turning Point (Flamingo) (Paperback)
I have no experience of particle physics, being an ordinary lay man not involved with any intellectual mathematics. However Capra's books point to the Buddhist view of contemplating the extremes as "posts" for understanding the relationships to the whole, from the relativistic view of the each observer.. For that I thank deadflower47 from Leeds, for his view and would appreciate further comment from him to enhance my own "enlightenment". Capra's books are clear and easy to understand and have helped me to understand questions I have had with Eastern teachings over the years. However if Physics is not your "Cup of tea" read someone else's experience of enlightenment to find your "Tao".

1.0 out of 5 stars date of publication, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Turning Point (Flamingo) (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars So that's why I can't Engineer my way out of this mess..., 4 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Turning Point (Flamingo) (Paperback)
As a graduate Engineer, I had the benefit of a classic reductionist education and instinctively looked for solutions to complex problems in simple "piecemeal" fixes. When my girlfriend Emily (an Environmental Scientist) insisted that I read this book, little did I know that it would set in motion a course of events that would lead to a change of job, outlook and attitude.
Fritjof explained why my work always failed and encouraged my latent interest in the human and systematic elements of complex problems.
Mid-way through a major improvement project, I had to re-evaluate my whole approach and eventaully conceived a comprehensive systemic solution which, unfortunately, went down like a lead brick with my old-school employers who clearly thought I had gone mad when I presented my "holistic plan". Never mind, I left that job and moved into Quality Systems where I found a natural home for an holistic view and have become much more successful in my career.
"The Turning Point" really was just that for me and empowers the reader to look much more clearly at all accepted wisdom with a cynical eye. If you have long suspected that our esteemed scientific community have got it wrong and that wisdom relies on a balanced view of the logical and the intuitive - read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dated but still relevant - an interesting book, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Turning Point (Flamingo) (Paperback)
When it was first published in the UK in 1982, 'The Turning Point', I remember that Fritjof Capra's critique of influence of Cartesian-Newtonian thought on the Western Way of Life in the 'Turning Point' caused quite a stir. The author also presented a powerful new vision of reality based a holistic paradigm or world view that he argues is emerging from the new physics. I am currently in the process of re-reading his comments on such areas as science, medicine and economics and, although dated, they seem, in many instances, just as relevant today; nothing much seems to have shifted in mainstream conservative attitudes in some 30 years. I recommend reading this book in conjunction with his recent offering: 'The Systems View of Life':The Systems View of Life: A Unifying Visionto gain a comprehensive understanding of Capra's ideas and immense contribution that he has made to offering viable solutions to the serious problems that still confront mankind this century. They're not going away.

Chris Allen is a Technical Author and Writer with the following books available through Amazon:
The Beam of Interest: Taken by Storm
Hypnotic Tales 2013: Some Light Some Dark
Call of the Void: The Strange Life and Times of a Confused Person: 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding your "Tao", 2 Jun. 2005
Daniel Faux "Someone" (Glos. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Turning Point (Flamingo) (Paperback)
I have no experience of particle physics, being an ordinary lay man not involved with any intellectual mathematics. However Capra's books point to the Buddhist view of contemplating the extremes as "posts" for understanding the relationships to the whole, from the relativistic view of the each observer. For that I thank deadflower47 from Leeds, for his view and would appreciate further comment from him to enhance my own "enlightenment". Capra's books are clear and easy to understand and have helped me to understand questions I have had with Eastern teachings over the years. However if Physics is not your "Cup of tea" read someone else's experience of enlightenment to find your "Tao".

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Turning Point (Flamingo) (Paperback)
great book, great ideas. Fritjof Capra is a great thinker, well worth a read if you have an open mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Feb. 2015
J. Nicholson "juannic" (Isle of Wight) - See all my reviews
brilliant book, great service

1.0 out of 5 stars _, 24 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Turning Point (Flamingo) (Paperback)
Capra's book tries to tie the concepts of theoretical physics to his view that the world is undergoing a vague ecological and spiritual transformation. The result is a complete swindle and despite the author's Phd he seems to misunderstand some of the basics of quantum physics, twisting them out of shape to present absurd, sensationalist conclusions. Current uncertainty as to the implications of theoretical physics has been exploited to try to justify a ludicrous epistemic free-for-all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sold as seen!, 30 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Turning Point (Flamingo) (Paperback)
While I received this book, it was the pre-published version. It looked nothing like it was advertised and had lots of editing notes inside. T be honest, it put me off reading it.

Turning Point (Flamingo)
Turning Point (Flamingo) by Fritjof Capra (Paperback - 4 Oct. 2010)