5.0 out of 5 stars A literate cycling book!
If you are interested in cycling and are also literate it can be tough, most of the books are barely literate and move from cliché to cliché faster than most of us can pedal.
Published on 28 Nov 2012 by Colin Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars A dense guide to cycling
Published on 23 Aug 2011 by C. Kidd

5.0 out of 5 stars A literate cycling book!, 28 Nov 2012
Colin Rose "strunkovice" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers (Paperback)
This one is different: Tim Hilton was an art critic, I did not like his art critism but it was literate, but on cycling he shows his real passions. A strange mix of some rather partial biography, a history of the continental tours, and clubman law and life in very provincial England. This man understands continental cycling, much helped by his fluency in French and leftish upbringing that gave him access to the continental working class for whom cycle sport was a passion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this look at cycling from the past. The scope encompasses the British Cycling scene with it's lonely time trials, the beginning of the British League of racing Cyclists, The Tour de France and the authors own cycling endeavours. Plus, there are detailed chapters on people such as Beryl Burton, Reg Harris, Rene Vietto, the duels between Coppi and Bartali.

A very engaging writer. A personal and deeply fond look at the cycling world of the 50s and 60s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on cycling by a british author., 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers (Paperback)
Just wanted to say what a great book this is. It is basically a history of cycling from a british perspective. It takes you on a tour of cycling history in Britian, whilst also covering the history of continental cycle racing to.
To me a newly converted cycle nut, it filled in the history and facts i wanted to know perfectly, so if your like me, new to cycling and keen to learn about its past, this book is simply a must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read and re-read..., 30 Oct 2012
Russell Watson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers (Paperback)
I am on my 3rd reading of this Book, and no doubt will read it again. I get this book, some others may not, to me it's a sit down chat with the author in a warm cosy Pub discussing views, recollections, observations and the authors' outlook upon his lifetime in the saddle and dedication to the cadence of life. The details of the years past are fascinating; tales often told to me by the old fellas I met on many trips in my youth are accounted for in print here. Many needs will be met from reading this book, if not upon the first reading, but in subsequent ones.

3.0 out of 5 stars A dense guide to cycling, 23 Aug 2011
C. Kidd (Dibden, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers (Paperback)
Whilst on holiday I saw a copy of One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers by Tim Hilton in a charity bookshop. I thought this would be an interesting book looking at the life of a seasoned 60 year old racing cyclist. The book describes how Tim was brought up in a Midlands Communist party household and cycling being part of his escape to all sorts of places and people. He then goes on to cover the history of club cycling in Britain - the racers, races and politics / organisations; and the history and characters of the classic races in Europe.

At times I felt it got a little too dense, and a bit too pretentious, focussing on the golden time of cycling, and very dismissive of the modern versions of races such as the Tour de France.

If you're a keen cyclist it's worth a read, but otherwise I'd suggest giving it a miss.

2.0 out of 5 stars One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers, 27 May 2012
Jeremy Newby (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers (Paperback)
If I'm totally honest, I didn't really enjoy this book although I persisted to the end which I am glad about because the final few chapters were by far the most interesting of the book. I found the style of writing was something I didn't particularly like. I am passionate about cycle sport and cycle racing and it maybe that the author's interests in the sport were outside of mine. Having said that, Tim Hilton certainly appears to "live for cycling" and to have done an enormous amount of research and I think the book will appeal very much to those who are more "hooked" on the UK cycle racing scene, especially time trialling, or the more historical continental scene, rather than on the global cycle racing activities of the 21st century.

1.0 out of 5 stars gile, 20 Dec 2010
This review is from: One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers (Paperback)
While I accept Tim Hilton is decent enough writer, I cannot in good conscience recommend this book. Pretentious and tedious all that Golden age of cycling twaddle.
Do not waste your money.The only people who will enjoy this are serious cycling anoraks

One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers
One More Kilometre and We're in the Showers by Tim Hilton (Paperback - 26 Aug 2011)