Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 2 June 2001
When Mel and Fran's old school chum and arch enemy - the super snob Amanda, (Satan's very own PR girl), pulls off the ultimate publicity stunt in getting herself engaged to a Scottish laird - they descend into a drunken binge (and a night with the 6 foot 7 accountant who is the most boring accountant in the world) - which constitutes the worst drop into despair in the world. It seems Amanda does not mind that.Fraser McConnald wears the same pair of Converse trainers for years on end, and that his castle is a pile of rubble with one Calor Gas heater - Amanda wants to be titled - and what Amanda wants, Amanda gets - even if it means fake smiles, lots of bared white teeth and tight leather trousers.
Fraser, rather sweet and gentle, is clearly ignorant of her wiles (aren't all males though) so it is up to our heroine, Mel and her acerbic friend Fran, still smarting from the memory of Amanda's perfidy at school, to save him from mismatch of the century. To bring this all off and get her final revenge on her arch enemy Mel has to fight off an even greater and more pressing nemesis - the ardent attentions of the most boring accountant in the world, at the same time she has to keepg Fran's deadly manoeuvres with the opposite sex under control and try to win back the love of her life, the gorgeous, but fiendishly uncommitted Alex.
Walking with Mel through the wedding preparations which include hen night from hell are just wonderful, light fun.
This is a hellluva funny debut novel - well worth a read and definitely an author to watch out for. At times I thought it would tip over into self-concious joke telling - ah la most stand up comedians who end up writing books (Ellen de Generes, Paul Reisner et al) but this was great. Imaginative, funny and the characters seemed real no matter how eccentric things got. It reminded me very much of Jilly Cooper's early short romances (Octavia, Imogen) which I also loved. If you enjoy Jilly Cooper or Janet Evanovich I'm sure you'll love this.
on 8 June 2000
Sorry, but this book can somehow just be described as lukewarm. Too many hangovers without having heard about the party, too many characters who have no idea what they want or where they're going (least of all the main one, Mel, who seemed to me to be of the ripe young age of about 17). For more laughs and actually grown-up figures stick to Jemima J (J. Green) and the like.
on 9 January 2006
Amandas Wedding was the first book of Jenny Colgans i read out of all of them (oh yeah i've read all of them lol) I first read it about 5 years ago, loved it, so when i was bored 2 months a go i picked it back up. I suddenly remembered why i loved it, its so witty, sarcastic and full of humour as well as romance,friendships and scottish men. :P Its the best book out of them all i would say (the other books i found it hard to get into, a bit slow and ya have to read 100 pages before you get to anything juicy). If your looking for a witty book and your a down to earth person that likes nothing more than having great mates, a pint in the pub, and a good chin wag with ya female friends then this is the book to go for. If your a girly girl and just want romance, you'll find the romance but probably wont appreciate the tom boy attitude of Mel and Fran ( main characters). Any one who buys this book wont be able to put it down its an excellent book.
on 20 March 2004
I have read books written by Jenny Colgan in the past, and I find that her reading offers a great pick-me-up when you're in need of something light but entertaining. Therefore, I deliberately searched for one of Jenny's books for my next read, and found myself with Amanda's Wedding. I really liked the storyline in this one, and found myself really identifying with the main character. Colgan's witty comments always pop up unexpectedly, making the book interesting and humorous. I definitely recommend this one!!
on 2 March 2001
OK, so this isn't great literature. Or even really involved modern romance. Read Christina Jones or Katie Fforde (the best) for that. But I started this book yesterday evening and couldn't stop (darn, I have to work, but I did leave a bit early to finish it!) Really funny, cute - and despite what one reviewer says, our heroine doesn't end up with the wrong man. Just one of the possible Mr. Rights. (Although, I do wonder how they make it all work out so everyone is comfortable. I know, I know, it's only fiction - but still, you always wonder how everything all works out.) And despite what another reviewer says, our Scots boys are full of charm. The total cast of characters is so fun - annoying, but charming at the same time. Read this!!
on 2 February 2000
I found 'Amanda's Wedding' funny but I felt no real sympathy for the characters and had no sense of who some of them were - such as Mel's best friend Fran. The style of the book was quite good but I don't think it was any different or special from the usual 'searching for love in London' novels.
on 17 September 2002
I very much liked this book, just as I liked another of Jenny Colgan's books "Talking to Addison". I'm looking forward to reading "Looking for Andrew McCarthy" (it's already in my shopping basket). I quite like the british wit of the author's writing style, and that her books are about women with normal problems like everyone else. They are perfect for humorous summer reading. The only thing that kept me from giving the book 4 stars though was the ending, which I thought was a little too quick.
on 12 November 2014
I am normally a big fan of Jenny Colgan and always pounce on any new books of hers that I see on the shelf/online. However, this turned out to be an old book with a new cover, but I hadn't read it before so was ok. I don't feel that this book was what I would have expected from Jenny's normal style of writing and found my enjoyment of the book was marred by the constant use of bad language by the main characters. I am aware that some people do litter their speech with expletives but have not found such frequent use in Jenny Colgan's other books and I didn't appreciate that at all. A bit disappointed with this.
on 25 February 2015
Having read all of the lovely Jenny Colgan books about bakeries and chocolate I was so disappointed to find myself immersed in a book of, what I feel is, unnecessarily foul language. I was looking for an easy read and this is far from that. The characters are certainly not lovable and the storyline is tired. I struggled to read 25% then had to give up. I'll probably never read another Jenny Colgan book again. I'm sad about that. Sorry. I'm sure lots if people love it but it's not for me.
on 14 May 2000
...as just a little bit of light reading, on the bus, blah blah blah. It is of course, but if you read between the one-liners there are truths about relationships between friends, and some people you've met a thousand times. The truth is sarcasm / banal comments and ... gags are how most of us speak anyway. I don't think I've actually had a proper conversation since I was 5 - and I sure do a lot of talking. Please note, even light reading needs to be well written and this is. Smashing book - made me giggle out loud. Site address would be nice. Jenny Colgan has undoubtedly chosen a very "comedy" address that is completely unguessable.